Hi... Very Unconventional Legspin Grip?

Yeah, attached to his right hand.

Resolution isn't great, but here, look:

YmZgFXS.jpg

That is not a 'two up two down' legspinners grip.

I can't see f-all in that pic other than his level of pronation.

2 up 2 down is a bad descriptor. An orthodox wrist spinners grip features three finger-points of contact all roughly 90 degrees apart, which is basically what this chap does. Finger spinners is the same except the ring finger is optional and the first 2 fingers might spread out a little more.

Fast bowlers is the same except the ring finger is optional and the first 2 fingers might spread out a little less.

Indeed. The only genuinely unorthodox grips are the ones where a finger gets tucked underneath to flick the ball out, like a carrom ball or a knuckle topspinner.

Nah they're the same too, for all intents and purposes. Fingers in basically the same position.

They are fundamentally topologically dissimilar. You cannot move between a carrom ball grip and a leg break grip through any valid manifold transformation.

Nice clip. I tried this grip hand to hand and found it unnatural and awkward, but interesting. Not for me, though - the topology-iwhatsit-thingy scares me.

So I bowled legspin tonight at indoor cricket and was messing around with this grip earlier in the day. I was getting massive turn the more chest-on my approach was, more turn than I've ever gotten before with a conventional grip. I've never been a huge turner of the ball with a normal grip, more topspin, but chest-on with this grip it's going sideways. Drift I'm working on. I'm going to stick with it and maybe go to the nets soon and post a few videos showing the turn I'm getting.

Last edited:
Back