Match-fixing Saga

While I do now "mostly" believe that Cairns match-fixed...something he said still concerns me greatly.

"I conclude by saying that I believe there are dark forces at play. These forces have long arms, deep pockets and great influence. I acknowledge that recently I have upset some powerful people in the world of cricket, including raising my own concerns about the health of the game. I believe I am paying the price for that now." - Chris Cairns

This makes me think that the BCCI could have possibly have used their overreaching power on the ICC to frame Cairns... That would mean that McCullum is liar and a distorter of justice... God I hope not!

If that's not true then Cairns has just tried to make it into a conspiracy in order to take the focus off him..

I am sorry but I will have to ask this- Why BCCI, why cant it be CA or ECB or those Dons who fix matches from Dubai.... Why cant Chris Cairns not just name BCCI if its them and now since NewZealand is going to introduce 7 year jail sentence for match fixing, its going to be end of his cricket carrier anyway (well atleast whats left of it)..... so untill you show me something against BCCI clearly, there is no point in assuming it....

I am sorry but I will have to ask this- Why BCCI, why cant it be CA or ECB or those Dons who fix matches from Dubai.... Why cant Chris Cairns not just name BCCI if its them and now since NewZealand is going to introduce 7 year jail sentence for match fixing, its going to be end of his cricket carrier anyway (well atleast whats left of it)..... so untill you show me something against BCCI clearly, there is no point in assuming it....

Okay fair enough. I apologize. I'll just say it could be anyone in the ICC.

Okay fair enough. I apologize. I'll just say it could be anyone in the ICC.

Or the punters in Dubai... Check out the article, it has Dubai written all over it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cr...llum-approached-cricket-hero-fix-matches.html

X told me that you don’t take or send it back to New Zealand. He explained that he had a man in Dubai who was associated with cricket. Through him you purchase a property in Dubai which you retain for a couple of years before selling it.

‘The money could then be moved wherever you want to send it because to all intents and purposes, it would appear to be profit from property deals rather than fixing. X told me the name of that man in Dubai.’

Now check out who these people are
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betting_controversies_in_cricket
But the fountainhead of the betting syndicates is Dawood Ibrahim’s D Company. "Many think that the bookies fix matches. That’s not true as punters in Dubai are the ones who call the shots," says a top Mumbai bookie. For any India-Pakistan clash, especially in Sharjah (the hub of match-fixing, say bookies), Dawood-controlled betting syndicates step in and Mumbai bookies, as an unwritten rule, lay off. And Dawood’s influence extends to players as well.

It just my theory but I strongly believe that guys like these are involved here

Because 80% of all the money generated in cricket worldwide is from India.

Because 80% of all the money generated in cricket worldwide is from India.

994254_174813856034423_299949522_n.jpg

Statement from Lou Vincent following being banned from cricket for life by the ECB:

"My name is Lou Vincent and I am a cheat.
I have abused my position as a professional sportsman on a number of occasions by choosing to accept money through fixing .
I have lived with this dark secret for many years, but just months ago I reached the point where I decided I had to come forward and tell the truth.
It's a truth that has rightly caused uproar and controversy in New Zealand and around the world.
I have shamed my country. I have shamed my sport. I have shamed those close to me. For that I am not proud.
I lost faith in myself and the game .I abused the game I love. I had to put things right.
Speaking out. Exposing the truth. Laying bare the things I have done wrong is the only way I can find to begin to put things right.
The time has come for me to now face them like a man and accept the consequences, whatever they may be.
I could not live with my wrongdoing any longer, and after meeting my future wife Susie, after learning what unconditional love really is, I felt strong enough to tell her what I'd done, and she has helped me take the painful steps to telling my parents, my wider family and then the authorities.
I am proud of those I love. Especially my immediate family and friends Their strength, support and forgiveness has enabled me to address some deep and uncomfortable issues in my life.
I can finally look my children in the eyes and tell them that honesty is the best policy, even if it feels like the hardest of things to do at times.
I now believe in myself as a person again and do not wake up every morning hating myself.
Today is the day I offer my deepest apologies to the public and cricketing world, to the loyal fans, to the dedicated coaches, staff and all players past and present.I apologise to and thank the ACSU for their help and support , which is out there for all players and it has helped me a great deal . Chris Morris and his legal team,
and all associations that have handled this sensitive situation with professionalism and respect .
The people who know me know I am vulnerable. But they also know I am not stupid and that I know what is right and what is wrong.
I do suffer from depression but it is absolutely no reason or excuse for all I have done wrong.
I used to think mistakes were the actions of bad people. I now know even good people can make the worst of mistakes. My Actions ,I will regret for the rest of my life.
For sport to prosper, it is up to the players to police the game, because they are the ones that will ultimately lose out if they allow themselves to be used as pawns to make money.
No one should ever be put in that position. And no one should ever allow themselves to forget what sport is about and let money rule their decisions.
The decisions I made were wrong. Players must be better than that. Above reproach. For the fans. For the sport.
For the first time in a very long time I feel positive about the future because I am finally becoming the man I wanted to be. I have to face up to my wrongs to make them right.
I have kept my head down for too long now. This is my time to man up to my mistakes and today I can stand with a better conscience because I know I'm doing the right thing.
It is entirely my fault that I will never be able to stand in front of a game again. It is entirely my fault that I will not be able to apply my skills in a positive way to help future cricketers.
But it is entirely possible that I can use this moment to convince others not to be tempted by wrongdoing. To do the right thing for themselves, for their families and friends, and for the sport they love.
I accept my punishment and I thank you for listening to my statement today."

Very disappointing. I'd like to know why Vincent would do such a thing. Is money really enough to do something like this, to bring the sport into such disrepute? Just when you think that the sport is slowly stamping out this sort of thing, something like this happens and sets back all the good work that has been done.

Very disappointing. I'd like to know why Vincent would do such a thing. Is money really enough to do something like this, to bring the sport into such disrepute?

He was venerable due to mental health issues and not being a regular fixture in the national side at the time. At least he is taking full responsibility now I guess and not blaming those issues for his actions.

Very disappointing. I'd like to know why Vincent would do such a thing. Is money really enough to do something like this, to bring the sport into such disrepute? Just when you think that the sport is slowly stamping out this sort of thing, something like this happens and sets back all the good work that has been done.
You probably need some background as to where he got where he did.

When it should have been his turn in the national side in the middle order he was told by the coach (Bracewell) that they won't select him unless he opened the batting, Vincent knew he couldn't do the openers job and now knew that he would never make the side. Feeling shafted he followed the money to the ICL. After the ICL players got banned by the ICC (due to pressure from the BCCI) Vincent probably saw his dreams further crushed as at this stage there was a new coach and the national side was crying out for players.

Pretty much ideal circumstances to be tempted by match fixing.

He was venerable due to mental health issues and not being a regular fixture in the national side at the time. At least he is taking full responsibility now I guess and not blaming those issues for his actions.

Fair enough.

You probably need some background as to where he got where he did.

When it should have been his turn in the national side in the middle order he was told by the coach (Bracewell) that they won't select him unless he opened the batting, Vincent knew he couldn't do the openers job and now knew that he would never make the side. Feeling shafted he followed the money to the ICL. After the ICL players got banned by the ICC (due to pressure from the BCCI) Vincent probably saw his dreams further crushed as at this stage there was a new coach and the national side was crying out for players.

Pretty much ideal circumstances to be tempted by match fixing.

There's never an excuse for match fixing, no matter the circumstances. I can't see I've seen many players turn to match fixing whenever they have been kept out an international side due to form, differences with the coach or playing bans.

Whilst Vincent may have gone through a tough time back then (which is now well documented), I don't think it's an excuse for this type of behaviour. Depression is a very serious mental disease but fixing games? That's really, really bad. At least he is now taking responsibility for his actions.

Didn't Hansie reckon the Devil made him do it, just lol.

No, he took full responsibility for it. My understanding is all he gave was the weather and pitch conditions for one match. I believe he never actually 'fixed' a match. The sad thing is that it ruined his life.

No, he took full responsibility for it. My understanding is all he gave was the weather and pitch conditions for one match. I believe he never actually 'fixed' a match. The sad thing is that it ruined his life.
No but he did other stuff like this which is about as bad.

"On 7 June, the King Commission began. The following day, Gibbs revealed that Cronje had offered him $15,000 to score less than 20 runs in the 5th ODI at Nagpur. He also admitted another offer of $15,000 to Henry Williams to concede more than 50 runs in that same match. Gibbs scored 74 off 53 balls and Williams injured his shoulder and couldn't complete his second over, so neither received the $15,000. Off-spinner Derek Crookes, who was also a witness, admitted being surprised to open the bowling at Nagpur." Wiki

Been following this over the last few days or so. Not looking good for Cairns at the moment, a lot of people have come out and have said several things which haven't painted him in a good light at all.

Hmm... I don't like how McCullum phrased it "That was Cairnsy, and he just made me a business proposition."

I wonder if this was before he met with Cairns in India or after because that makes a big difference? If it was before, Cairns might not have made it clear that it was about match-fixing in the call and so McCullum was oblivious. But if it was after, then that could make McCullum's wording look suspicious when compared to his stance on Cairn's first approach of; I was stunned, I didn't want it to be true!

I just hope to heaven, that McCullum is clean!

It's already pretty obvious that Cairns isn't clean, in my mind anyway. Too many people have come in and spoken out against him.

Last edited:
Hmm... I don't like how McCullum phrased it "That was Cairnsy, and he just made me a business proposition."

I wonder if this was before he met with Cairns in India or after because that makes a big difference? If it was before, Cairns might not have made it clear that it was about match-fixing in the call and so McCullum was oblivious. But if it was after, then that could make McCullum's wording look suspicious when compared to his stance on Cairn's first approach of; I was stunned, I didn't want it to be true!

I just hope to heaven, that McCullum is clean!

It's already pretty obvious that Cairns isn't clean, in my mind anyway. Too many people have come in and spoken out against him.

I have to say that McCullum hasn't covered himself in glory either. He's always been very quick to speak out about integrity in cricket which is good but he sat on this for three years without saying anything. He was then quick to criticise Smith for his "immature captaincy" during the handled the ball incident earlier this year but didn't speak out immediately when Cairns came to him with the spot fixing stuff.

I don't think McCullum was involved but he should have reported this a lot sooner than he did.

I have to say that McCullum hasn't covered himself in glory either. He's always been very quick to speak out about integrity in cricket which is good but he sat on this for three years without saying anything. He was then quick to criticise Smith for his "immature captaincy" during the handled the ball incident earlier this year but didn't speak out immediately when Cairns came to him with the spot fixing stuff.

I don't think McCullum was involved but he should have reported this a lot sooner than he did.

He didn't want to report on his friend but I do agree with you.

Personally, I'm not a fan of anyone who openly criticizes others in the media. We are all human, we all make mistakes so keep your judgements to yourself.

He didn't want to report on his friend but I do agree with you.

Personally, I'm not a fan of anyone who openly criticizes others in the media. We are all human, we all make mistakes so keep your judgements to yourself.

I understand why it took him a while but really it should have come out a lot sooner. I have to say though, Cairns isn't much of a friend for wanting his mates to throw games for money.

Back