Selection Committees - Tips

SteveyD

Hi Guys

For as long as I can remember, our club has always had the captains selecting the teams.
In the upcoming AGM, a number of us, including a couple of captains, would like to push for a selection committee to be put into place.

In our eyes this solves a number of problems :
Certain captains being very "clique"y in their teams
Players are thus selected on merit
A committee is then responsible for players getting selected and any issues can be taken up with them as opposed to trying to hold individual captains responsible
Movement between teams becomes greater
Work load of checking with players for availability each week is reduced as players provide their availability either by email or by website
Taems can be selected earlier in week (tuesdays for example) - at the moment teams can be undecided on friday stilll.

Now i'm sure there are problems against it, and things to look out for. Having never been at any other club, it would be good to hear what works , what doesn't and why.

Chief issue I can see is getting people to get into it

What works well for our club is captains plus chairman of selectors (not a captain). The youth coordinator - for a say on upcoming players - also attends but doesn't vote. Very few problems arise. I don't remember the last time there was a serious issue.

You will never please everyone of course.

Make sure there is commitment from the players for any change and that they will do their bit to help.

Only other issue is ensuring selection committee has the time to meet (another commitment)

Back