Subbies Thread

I think we've lost the plot...............

If we wanted to keep the same number of 2 day games, why wouldn't we play round 11 game on the Saturday & Sunday of the first week and then give evryone the 2nd week off? Would be a lot better for those with families to organise and gives the older players a break before the finals run in!

As for a Friday Grand Final start, in the words of John McEnroe, are you serious???

Fixture is obviously news but what about the CV review finding, the end for Subbies and the VTCA? Who would be the combined best 10 teams in Bayside? Lock in Caulfield and Oakleigh. Next tier Ormond, Elsternwick and Brighton. South Caulfield an obvious standout from VTCA. Where do Mt Waverley, Kingston, and Moorabbin sit? How would they would they be measured against, say, Hampton, Beaumaris, Parkdale, McKinnon, Clayton? Or will the whole concept get put in the bin?

I think we've lost the plot...............

If we wanted to keep the same number of 2 day games, why wouldn't we play round 11 game on the Saturday & Sunday of the first week and then give evryone the 2nd week off? Would be a lot better for those with families to organise and gives the older players a break before the finals run in!

As for a Friday Grand Final start, in the words of John McEnroe, are you serious???

Totally agree.

Either that or schedule an extra 1 day fixture rather than a 2 dayer at some stage throughout the entire season.

I can hear the subbies now outlining that Premier Cricket start their Grand Final on a Friday and the fact that they do not want the season to end 1 week earlier than in the past to give other sports a look in on the last weekend in March but what they have proposed is just not feasible for the VSDCA players.

Ridiculous fixturing.

A Friday is different, but I'll not slag it off just yet. I would be happy to make the Grand Final in the first place and it is not like every player in the competition is going to be inconvenienced. The day you take off for Friday you don't have to take off for Mad Monday. Unless your celebrations kick on a bit longer than that!!

Fixture is obviously news but what about the CV review finding, the end for Subbies and the VTCA? Who would be the combined best 10 teams in Bayside? Lock in Caulfield and Oakleigh. Next tier Ormond, Elsternwick and Brighton. South Caulfield an obvious standout from VTCA. Where do Mt Waverley, Kingston, and Moorabbin sit? How would they would they be measured against, say, Hampton, Beaumaris, Parkdale, McKinnon, Clayton? Or will the whole concept get put in the bin?

Not a fan of this, but would like more information before I pass final judgement. The charm of Subbies for me is that you do play the different groups every year. Travelling to play someone the other side of town every 6 years is not a downside for me. I love the opportunity to play on all of the different grounds, to play against all the good players. Playing the same local teams every year, apart from the turf factor, I may as well play on the mats or hard wicket or whatever it is these days.

I dont mind the concept of the new proposed structure of Cricket in Victoria but like many I'd love to see more details. 10-15 years ago Subbies was clearly the second best grade of Cricket but now other competitions have caught up mainly due to the amount of cash in local leagues. As someone who has played Premier, Subbies and VTCA it would be good to see all clubs playing by the same salary cap, points system as well as rules and regulations etc. Would make for some very intersting competition! It would be also provide a much better pathway for aspiring Cricketers. You'd be able to see which clubs are playing the better standard of Cricket and it would be something to aim for. Ive always found it strange that comps like VTCA have odd rules that are far fetched from proper Cricket eg First class/Premier...

A Friday is different, but I'll not slag it off just yet. I would be happy to make the Grand Final in the first place and it is not like every player in the competition is going to be inconvenienced. The day you take off for Friday you don't have to take off for Mad Monday. Unless your celebrations kick on a bit longer than that!!
Personally, I have no issues and would be happy to have the problem making a grand final. OK for me, however, what about the young person in their first job or apprentice who has to get a working day off. Would suggest sick days will be up that Friday.

And a one day grand final for 3's & 4's? A joke.

Not a fan of this, but would like more information before I pass final judgement. The charm of Subbies for me is that you do play the different groups every year. Travelling to play someone the other side of town every 6 years is not a downside for me. I love the opportunity to play on all of the different grounds, to play against all the good players. Playing the same local teams every year, apart from the turf factor, I may as well play on the mats or hard wicket or whatever it is these days.
Agree, that is the thing I enjoy playing Subbies, playing the different groups and going and playing at different grounds every 3 years.

Unfortunately the Cricket Victoria plan is like vanilla ice cream, as boring as bat pooh and trying to save the fat cats getting a wage for doing zip.

100% agree.

Will wait for official club announcements at BCC but strong coaching panel named and couple of gun recruits to add to a side that made finals in 1's and2's last year. Tesch retired and another lost to the CMCA.Junior program paying off with several moving to seniors. Very tough division with 8 finalists from last year.

Agree, that is the thing I enjoy playing Subbies, playing the different groups and going and playing at different grounds every 3 years.

Unfortunately the Cricket Victoria plan is like vanilla ice cream, as boring as bat pooh and trying to save the fat cats getting a wage for doing zip.
like no promotion or relegation where the same teams are up the top and the bottom and getting money handouts to keep them afloat

Looks like Caulfield have made two important signings, ex Aussie ODI player Brett Dorey and also another quick from Perth district cricket Ryan Webster. Quite impressive to have an ex international cricketer and grade cricketer added to a list of players who must be be playing for the love of the game as opposed to shed loads of cash, what a joke. If they dont win it this year they will be a complete laughing stock, thats if they were not already after that fiasco in last years granny. Plenty of pressure on the Fielders I guess! dont screw up boys haha!

Looks like Caulfield have made two important signings, ex Aussie ODI player Brett Dorey and also another quick from Perth district cricket Ryan Webster. Quite impressive to have an ex international cricketer and grade cricketer added to a list of players who must be be playing for the love of the game as opposed to shed loads of cash, what a joke. If they dont win it this year they will be a complete laughing stock, thats if they were not already after that fiasco in last years granny. Plenty of pressure on the Fielders I guess! dont screw up boys haha!

There must be a lot of love at Caulfield Park, or COLA has just reached the Subbies!

It appears that some clubs are just MORE equal than others!

Interesting. Williamstown were apparently having a big crack at Dorey through Inness. Word is he won't be playing all games as he is working on the rigs.

Need to start policing the only 2 paid players a club rule a little more seriously. May as well not have it at this point.

Interesting. Williamstown were apparently having a big crack at Dorey through Inness. Word is he won't be playing all games as he is working on the rigs.

Need to start policing the only 2 paid players a club rule a little more seriously. May as well not have it at this point.
There must be a lot of love at Caulfield Park, or COLA has just reached the Subbies!

It appears that some clubs are just MORE equal than others!
Equal? More like taking the piss.

Back