How NOT to catch.

Do you take the ball above eye-level or below eye-level?

Just below, preferably. Probably level with your chest. Little fingers together with palms facing directly towards the ball. Don't snatch at it, just let the ball hit the middle of the hands and they will shut around it automatically. Give with the ball, but not too much, just about 6 inches.

Remember to get side on to give you the ability to adjust your feet at the last minute, and your hands move together, not separately.

Just below, preferably. Probably level with your chest. Little fingers together with palms facing directly towards the ball. Don't snatch at it, just let the ball hit the middle of the hands and they will shut around it automatically. Give with the ball, but not too much, just about 6 inches.

Remember to get side on to give you the ability to adjust your feet at the last minute, and your hands move together, not separately.
Sounds like good advice - cheers. I like the idea of the ball hitting the hands and the force of the ball shutting the hands around it.

What i do is i dont think about my hands i juste think about getting my body my head under the ball at the last second you have to place your hands chest high .

Well there are two different ways of catching a skied ball the first way is the sub continent way and this is done by making a pouch with your palm's and usually keep your hands below chest or in level with the chest so the ball stays in but the biggest risk is it can pop out. The other way is fingers point up and probably the safe way because if the ball pops out you could snatch it back again.

the thing about either style is that you want to make sure you don't take your eye off the ball.
When catching like a pouch it means holding the hands up at chest level very close to eye line. hold themm too low and you tend to stop watching the ball. palms up is good, especially when its been hit rather flat or you have a lot of time under the ball. but when you need to run to take a catch in the outfield and are only just getting there you tend to take them like a pouch, so you need to practice both. It comes down to comfort.

Back