Scared Of The Cricket Ball

shahidpak

Hello,

A few months ago i had an indoor training session with a soft ball, i was bowling really slow loopy leg spin so the batsman smashed it towards me i opened my hands to take it but somehow the ball went through my hands and hit my glasses which went flying up and fell down 1.5 meters away it hurt me not a LOT because i had my glasses and it was a soft ball. After this my parents told me to be careful...

2 or 3 weeks ago i was training with my brother and my friend i was batting to both of them bowling medium about 90-100 kph and i am really good at driving/cutting on the off side so any delivery aimed at middle stump off stump or outside isn't a problem for me but every ball that is aimed at leg stump or middle/leg annoys me so my friend bowled me a slower bouncer and as soon as i saw it i tried to hook it i played it early because it was a surprise slower bouncer and it hit me on the chest, i again instantly fell down it didnt hurt me a LOT it was ok 2 days later....

The day before yesterday i went to practice with a batsman of my team and i bowled a leg break he defended but he pushed it a bit so it came bouncing at about half a meter relatively slow towards the non striker so i went half diving to my right i thought it was coming in my hands but i dont know how it hit the inside part of my knee and it hurt me and i was down again but i was really shocked after it hit me because it was really slow. Its still hurting a little bit but i dont think its something serious.

Now during the india-england test match i saw dhoni not ducking to short balls but instead letting them hit him on the shoulder and biceps a few times and i also saw one hit his chest i think and he was behaving normally after it hit him,is it because he has big pecs ? because the bowler bowled about 135 kph?

Something else i think it was last year, a pakistani domestic cricketer named Zulfiquar Bhatti (google his name) DIED during a match because while batting the ball hit him on the chest !!!!

So combining all these reasons im kinda getting scared of the Cricket BALL ?

Has any1 else experienced this and how to deal with it??

Thanks Shahid

And how can i forget the Zimbabwe captain getting hit on his mouth (while bowling search youtube) and losing his teeths against Bangladesh last ball

Its a vicious cycle. If you think about getting hit, you will get hit. If you worry about getting hurt, you will get hurt.

I guess you are quite young. As you get older you will learn to control your fear. You must be master of your emotions. Don't even think about getting hit, just think about catching the ball or hitting the ball.

If you do get hit by the ball, just smile. Don't flinch, don't cry out. Tell yourself there is no pain, and you will feel no pain. Stand up like a man and shrug your shoulders and tell yourself off for missing the catch/missing the scoring opportunity. Think about the next ball. You can worry about the pain after the game.

Sometimes I wake up the day after the cricket game and I have huge purple bruises on my legs, and I think "oh yes I did get hit in the thigh by the fast bowler", but I did not notice it at the time.

It is normal to be scared of the cricket ball but it's the people who put it aside and concentrate in the game that succeed in cricket and make it to the big stages.

Last edited:
Okay and do you think having a chest guard is important??

If it makes you feel more confident. I don't wear one. I just wear pads, box and gloves and a cap if its sunny. Wore a helmet a few times when facing international standard fast bowlers, but most bowlers in our league don't even hit 80 so its not worth it.

Okay and do you think having a chest guard is important??
It really depends if pulling is bread and butter for you you don't really need a chest guard but if u feel like u have no option for the short ball accept ducking it and afraid ud get hit then you must wear a cheat guard for your own protection.

A chest guard can definately increase your confidence. Chris Rogers still wears a chest guard and arm guard - apparently he says that if it's available, then why not wear it.

A chest guard can definately increase your confidence. Chris Rogers still wears a chest guard and arm guard - apparently he says that if it's available, then why not wear it.
the problem is it will protect you but you have to be ready fro a lot of short stuff because the bowlers know that you are afraid of the short ball hence they will bowl about 2 balls short each over to rough you up.

Make sure that all your equipment is up to date. Remember the cricket ball can follow you around a bit and hit you in places where you don't particulary want to be hit.
Yes that image of the pakistani cricketer copping that low blow and also phil hughes copping a fatal knock to the head come to mind.

Back