Courage/bravery When Batting?

TomBowler97

Hi Guys, me again!
Just wondering if there is a way or something that I can do to stop my backfoot subconsciously moving backwards? You'll see it if you have watched any of my batting vids on YT; https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

Also, anyway to improve courage/bravery? If the ball is at my ribs I will take a step towards the leg side and make sure it goes to the offside to avoid injury, I have attempted a pull shot before and it didn't go well with me ending up with a bruised rib!

I don't know if it is my mind because I know the nets are very bouncy and I know it will come up high and skid on, because I am fine in a game, but nets, I'm not! Thanks guys!
Tom :)

Hi Guys, me again!
Just wondering if there is a way or something that I can do to stop my backfoot subconsciously moving backwards? You'll see it if you have watched any of my batting vids on YT; https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

Also, anyway to improve courage/bravery? If the ball is at my ribs I will take a step towards the leg side and make sure it goes to the offside to avoid injury, I have attempted a pull shot before and it didn't go well with me ending up with a bruised rib!

I don't know if it is my mind because I know the nets are very bouncy and I know it will come up high and skid on, because I am fine in a game, but nets, I'm not! Thanks guys!
This is what I did when I had this problem I put a brick next to my back foot so it won't move and subsequently it adjusted and the problem was solved.

If you don't get in line, the ball will hit you and keep hitting you, repeatedly, again and again, until you are a shivering wreck, cowering behind the square leg umpire.

The safest place to be is right in line so you can make sure the ball hits the middle of the bat!

The only way to overcome your fear is to learn correct backfoot defensive technique. Once you have mastered this, you will see that it doesn't hurt at all when the ball hits the middle of the bat, so there is absolutely nothing to be scared of. Any time the ball starts climbing up towards your ribs, simply calmly step into line and play it down with the bat.

I would suggest you practice with a ball you feel confident with - either a high speed tennis ball or a cricket ball thrown underarm up at you, until you've "got it".

Note that this is not a correct back foot defence because the batsman is not correctly in line:
3225418867_f162a91867_z.jpg

This is better:
bfdefmidstumprhb.jpg

as is this:

Rahul+Dravid++defence+Stance.jpg

and this:

You should really make the effort to get your nose right in line with the bat handle. That way you are in the perfect position to adjust the position of the bat.

A good back foot defence, once mastered, also allows you to rotate the strike by angling the face and running the ball down on either side of the wicket. Make sure you master the basic full faced defence first though.

I used to practice throwing golf balls against the wall and, only holding the bat in my top hand, I would fend them off my chest. As I got better I got braver, so I threw the ball progressively harder until a real-life cricket bowler seemed slow by comparison.

Hi Guys, me again!

I created a thread about the ball coming at my ribs and how i was scared to get hit and i got hit on the ribs too .. Once. And i dont think you should move back towards the leg si de insted move towards the off side and play the hook.

I would suggest you practice with a ball you feel confident with - either a high speed tennis ball or a cricket ball thrown underarm up at you, until you've "got it.

Spot on. It's all about building up muscle memory so it happens automatically.

Spot on. It's all about building up muscle memory so it happens automatically.

Aye - and its psychological as well. Once you feel completely confident that with your new technique you will hit the ball 100% of the time rather than the ball hitting you, there is less fear in moving up to cricket balls, and hence you won't start shying away and losing your shape again.

As others have said, good technique is the key. Get behind the ball and watch it, if you have a bowling machine then set it on a lower speed such as 50mph and have it coming in short at you.

If not, it doesn't hurt that much after a day or two anyway! Haha.

As others have said, good technique is the key. Get behind the ball and watch it, if you have a bowling machine then set it on a lower speed such as 50mph and have it coming in short at you.

If not, it doesn't hurt that much after a day or two anyway! Haha.
Welcome to big cricket

Back