Eca

I agree that posts should not be personal. It is better if we hear rumours, news, player movements and new recruits.
It also good to float issues the association does not tackle.
The biggest issue around at the moment is the Cricket Victoria proposal which if implemented would be the end of suburban turf cricket. If you read it you can see that the councils and CV are working together. Council want to reduce the number of turf wickets to free up ground so junior teams can play on Friday nights and Saturday mornings.

It seems the Cricket Victoria proposals which they seem to be pushing ahead with great haste after sitting on it for so long have the potential to wipe out the ECA at least as a turf competition. I believe the VTCA, Dandenong and Subbies are horrified by the concept. Anyone who doesn't want to play on carpet should be equally upset. Councils have long been wanting to reduce their costs in relation to turf wickets. This is really concerning to me as I was raised on turf, played on it since I was 11 and cant believe the short sightedness of all this. CV knows not what it is doing. I think it is less about junior cricket than councils wanting to provide more community space at the expense of cricket clubs. Boroondara is a leader in making it tough for cricket especially turf. I will be interested in ECA's response.

A big concern is the CV will go to clubs direct and self interest is an issue rather than the united front that will be required.
CV should concentrate on Premier cricket before looking further

Any club which sees some self interest in linking up with CV may well be cutting their nose off to spite their face. Need to look closely at the big picture.

It seems the Cricket Victoria proposals which they seem to be pushing ahead with great haste after sitting on it for so long have the potential to wipe out the ECA at least as a turf competition. I believe the VTCA, Dandenong and Subbies are horrified by the concept. Anyone who doesn't want to play on carpet should be equally upset. Councils have long been wanting to reduce their costs in relation to turf wickets.

With that much negativity, you would like to think the proposals won't go through. All these comps function well on a stand alone basis.

If anything, a T20 carnival each year involving the winners from each of the turf comps would be a good way to integrate the respective leagues together.

It seems the Cricket Victoria proposals which they seem to be pushing ahead with great haste after sitting on it for so long have the potential to wipe out the ECA at least as a turf competition. I believe the VTCA, Dandenong and Subbies are horrified by the concept. Anyone who doesn't want to play on carpet should be equally upset. Councils have long been wanting to reduce their costs in relation to turf wickets. This is really concerning to me as I was raised on turf, played on it since I was 11 and cant believe the short sightedness of all this. CV knows not what it is doing. I think it is less about junior cricket than councils wanting to provide more community space at the expense of cricket clubs. Boroondara is a leader in making it tough for cricket especially turf. I will be interested in ECA's response.

Don't believe that either the DDCA or the VTCA are against the concept, or the ECA for that matter. DDCA and ECA essentially remain in tact but will pick up extra clubs like Noble and Endeavour (DDCA) and ECA picks up Box Hill, Ivanhoe, Croydon, Bayswater, even Preston (WTF!!!). VTCA appear in favour, the relationship between North and South divisions is not good and they seem to be in favour of reducing travel. I agree that Subbies clubs don't seem to want to dismantle their association, that could be a stumbling block, CV may have to dole out some $$$ to convince the VSDCA to get on board. As for reducing the number of turf wickets, no clubs fold under the proposal, so I don't understand how you read that into it.

Top 10 would also include Kew and Balwyn so that is 7 Subbies sides if Preston are classified as East. Only 3 spots left? Perhaps a 12 team comp might be the way to go.

Top 10 would also include Kew and Balwyn so that is 7 Subbies sides if Preston are classified as East. Only 3 spots left? Perhaps a 12 team comp might be the way to go.
I played in the Subbies many moons ago and while some clubs were really strong there were others that would have struggled in A turf. The quality of player was not much different, it was just the quantity of the quality.

Things may have changed in the intervening years, for better or worse.

I'm sure the Dunstan sides wouldn't like having 7 subbies sides take over their region.

You would think the better Dunstan teams could compete okay with Subbies first XI sides.

Don't believe that either the DDCA or the VTCA are against the concept, or the ECA for that matter. DDCA and ECA essentially remain in tact but will pick up extra clubs like Noble and Endeavour (DDCA) and ECA picks up Box Hill, Ivanhoe, Croydon, Bayswater, even Preston (WTF!!!). VTCA appear in favour, the relationship between North and South divisions is not good and they seem to be in favour of reducing travel. I agree that Subbies clubs don't seem to want to dismantle their association, that could be a stumbling block, CV may have to dole out some $$$ to convince the VSDCA to get on board. As for reducing the number of turf wickets, no clubs fold under the proposal, so I don't understand how you read that into it.
Good post, I'm not involved in the ECA but play in VTCA and know a bit about the restructure.. There is no plan to reduce the amount of turf cricket just split it into regions for less travel and clearer pathways to elite cricket. Clubs will be giving choices on what region they wish to play in, the structures put out there are only examples and there will be scope to move if clubs are on the border of two regions..

Good post, I'm not involved in the ECA but play in VTCA and know a bit about the restructure.. There is no plan to reduce the amount of turf cricket just split it into regions for less travel and clearer pathways to elite cricket. Clubs will be giving choices on what region they wish to play in, the structures put out there are only examples and there will be scope to move if clubs are on the border of two regions..
Thanks for the extra info. I'd imagine that the Subbies with the traditional pull of young up and comers or older guys who don't want to play in the grind of premier cricket will begin with a bit of an advantage. Money will also be on their side. This may even out over time.

What happens to the RM HATCH shield?

Thanks for the extra info. I'd imagine that the Subbies with the traditional pull of young up and comers or older guys who don't want to play in the grind of premier cricket will begin with a bit of an advantage. Money will also be on their side. This may even out over time.

What happens to the RM HATCH shield?
Yes correct, the idea is that the stronger "local clubs" will take over from the weaker subbies clubs in the higher divs..
Subbies will lose their funding next year, the hatch shield would no longer exist and instead each of the five regions would be aligned with a few district clubs that provide the pathway for the better players.

We need to be very careful how we interpret the raft of information available. Everyone has a view and are quick to express an opinion. What the ECA's view on this is worth pursuing. I have discussed this with a range of people involved in cricket administration acroos the board and what is becoming clear to me is this. CV are proposing 5 streams of Turf cricket. North, East. South, West and Bayside. It will probably mean Premier cricket is 1sts and 2nds and lower grades would go into the streams. East for example would take whatever clubs from ECA that choose to join CVs competition. The whole thing would be run by paid CV administrators. If your club elected to move into a CV stream you would no longer be part of the ECA but part of a CV competition. ECA for example may see the inevitability of a lot of this and offer to administer the East stream for CV but I'm not sure if they have that option. This is the reason why Subbies and VTCA are not overly supportive while small local associations maybe e.g Williamstown are.. The ECA could end up being a largely synthetic competition with maybe a small turf competition. Now while we can argue that councils are not pursuing this as a means of reducing turf grounds it is felt by many people that councils do see this as an opportunity of reducing their exposure to turf cricket. If you have dealt at all with Boorondara in recent years you will know there are a group of councillors who would delight in a reduction of cricket grounds. Cricket Victoria have a lot of resource invested in this so they will push to finalise it. I accept the arguments in this forum which say things wont change much but equally I am interested in the alternative opinions which I am hearing from cricket administrators. Find out all you can and lets see what the ECA will respond with. I look forward to the ongoing debate. all I hope is that cricket and particularly Turf cricket is not disadvantaged and I will say again don't necessarily trust the councils.

Improving cricket club/council relationships is high up on the list of duties for all CV RM's and I agree that some councils are not always 100% behind turf cricket. I definitely didn't get the impression that clubs or asssociations could opt out of the 5 streams, it is an interesting point, particularly in relation to subbies, they may just decide to maintain staus quo if a choice is given. Will CV have the power to enforce the proposal or is it purely down to a vote? I do agree that Premier 3's and 4ths will go by the wayside. But the playing conditions and fixture of Premier 1's and 2's (endeavouring to replicate as much as possible 1st class conditions) to me makes it unlikely that Premier cricket at the highest level would be disbanded and clubs returned to their regions. It is good to hear alternative views and "mail" so look forward to your next post. I think the next ECA delegates meeting agenda includes a CV presentation on the review so maybe more detail may be released then.

Premier cricket Ists and 2nds will not be part of the 5 streams but as you indicate will be part of a premier CV competition aimed to make cricket in Victoria more elite. Sorry if my blurred prose did not make that clear. Looking forward to more interest in this and whether anyone has clearer information.

Back