Test XI Selection Thread

If Chris Rogers fails again he could be in trouble. I would not be surprised if they dropped him for the next Test to get Watson in. If no he may take his bat and ball and go home.
I see your point and i did see this opinion in the daily but i totally disagree. Who to open? Watson:D:D:D:D, really at this stage the question is why Watson at all. Poor average with the bat, not good enough with the ball to be a bowler and despite all the peace and love the team is showing he has never been anything but disruptive. I say make him earn it back, and forget opening, the Rogers Warner team stands a chance of being a good one.

Pretty disappointing collapse by the Australian batsmen. After being 0/100 I was hoping that they could get through to stumps and force the South Africans in the field for another day.
Irrespective of the result you would be pretty pleased as a Test cricket follower. 14 of the last 16 Test matches Australia has been involved has ended with a result. One of the keys to the Bok’s convincing win was their impeccable line they bowled, but the options they had in their bowling attack with three spinners available.(De Kok also bowls tweakers) Bearing in mind that they were one bowler short with Parnell breaking down.
In summary Australia’s strength is to play on hard bouncy pitches. They have the batting line up that will make a decent score and the bowling attack to get 20 wickets. Once the wickets get low and slow, or turn square then then the Aussie batsmen are all at sea. Aside from Clarke most of the batting line up struggles against a turning ball. Marsh was insipid in this match and his knack of waving his bat at anything wide and short is annoying. If you are going to hit it then hit it, don’t just dangle the bat out there. Doolan has to play more matches and he has to work the ball more and not get stuck in a hole.
Haddin is clearly not enjoying batting in South Africa. They give him nothing short and wide and trap him in his crease. He is clearly nervous about Steyn and Morkel. The Poms must be scratching their collective heads wondering why they didn't do the same.
With the abundance of left handed batsmen that proliferate world cricket quality off spinners have an opportunity. This is where someone like Maxwell could find a spot especially on the sub continent. Is he good enough? Which keeper will eventually replace Haddin. No one is putting up their hand at the moment. I still don’t think Lyon is going to worry teams on the subcontinent and it seems to me he gets wickets because he simply bowls enough deliveries.
Warner, Watson, Smith & Haddin will play their shots irrespective of the conditions. This was painfully obvious in India where Warner was totally befuddled by the Indian spinners, whilst Rogers was Swan’s bunny in England. Smith just gets the runs and you have to enjoy watching him, even though his technique makes you cringe at times. Finally the Australian bowlers were negated. Johnson dispatched quite comfortably and then got some of his own thrown back at him when struck on the head. Harris has lost a yard. He is bowling in the mid 130’s and occasionally in the 140’s. He is not hitting the bat as hard as he was. He has been unlucky, but it may time to give him a break and let him have his knee operation and give Pattinson a go. Siddle would be the Australian Steyn if he could crank up his pace another 10km.
The ghosts of Capetown will haunt a lot of the Aussies in the next Test. Does Marsh get replaced with Watson? Probably as he provides that desperately needed bowling option assuming he is fit. Does Harris get replaced with Pattinson? If Australia can get away with a draw then they would have done well.
If the lose the series 2-1 then it will be a harsh result. Time for Clarke to stand up with the bat.

Pretty disappointing collapse by the Australian batsmen. After being 0/100 I was hoping that they could get through to stumps and force the South Africans in the field for another day.
Irrespective of the result you would be pretty pleased as a Test cricket follower. 14 of the last 16 Test matches Australia has been involved has ended with a result. One of the keys to the Bok’s convincing win was their impeccable line they bowled, but the options they had in their bowling attack with three spinners available.(De Kok also bowls tweakers) Bearing in mind that they were one bowler short with Parnell breaking down.
In summary Australia’s strength is to play on hard bouncy pitches. They have the batting line up that will make a decent score and the bowling attack to get 20 wickets. Once the wickets get low and slow, or turn square then then the Aussie batsmen are all at sea. Aside from Clarke most of the batting line up struggles against a turning ball. Marsh was insipid in this match and his knack of waving his bat at anything wide and short is annoying. If you are going to hit it then hit it, don’t just dangle the bat out there. Doolan has to play more matches and he has to work the ball more and not get stuck in a hole.
Haddin is clearly not enjoying batting in South Africa. They give him nothing short and wide and trap him in his crease. He is clearly nervous about Steyn and Morkel. The Poms must be scratching their collective heads wondering why they didn't do the same.
With the abundance of left handed batsmen that proliferate world cricket quality off spinners have an opportunity. This is where someone like Maxwell could find a spot especially on the sub continent. Is he good enough? Which keeper will eventually replace Haddin. No one is putting up their hand at the moment. I still don’t think Lyon is going to worry teams on the subcontinent and it seems to me he gets wickets because he simply bowls enough deliveries.
Warner, Watson, Smith & Haddin will play their shots irrespective of the conditions. This was painfully obvious in India where Warner was totally befuddled by the Indian spinners, whilst Rogers was Swan’s bunny in England. Smith just gets the runs and you have to enjoy watching him, even though his technique makes you cringe at times. Finally the Australian bowlers were negated. Johnson dispatched quite comfortably and then got some of his own thrown back at him when struck on the head. Harris has lost a yard. He is bowling in the mid 130’s and occasionally in the 140’s. He is not hitting the bat as hard as he was. He has been unlucky, but it may time to give him a break and let him have his knee operation and give Pattinson a go. Siddle would be the Australian Steyn if he could crank up his pace another 10km.
The ghosts of Capetown will haunt a lot of the Aussies in the next Test. Does Marsh get replaced with Watson? Probably as he provides that desperately needed bowling option assuming he is fit. Does Harris get replaced with Pattinson? If Australia can get away with a draw then they would have done well.
If the lose the series 2-1 then it will be a harsh result. Time for Clarke to stand up with the bat.

Haddin has a gate and a half which Steyn exploited beautifully.

Marsh is a mess early. That ball that Philander got him with didn't even swing much, just a half-volley on his pads. Just keep bowling at thim there or to the slips and he's done.

SBS reporting on cricket, or the possible Mitch Marsh choice?
I'm never a fan of picking a Test player based on other formats. Admittedly they did it with Johnson last summer, and that surprisingly worked.

Yeah, he's a talent alright, but maybe a bit soon?

Yeah I think it is a bit. Clearly one of the best all-rounders in the country but his selection is a bit too soon. Would love to see him play another decent season of Shield and continue his good form in the ODI side.

Surprised to see Faulkner's name not mentioned, surely Watson wouldn't be bowling?

Test squad - Michael Clarke (c), Alex Doolan, Phillip Hughes, Brad Haddin, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve O'Keefe, Mitchell Johnson, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner, Shane Watson

Not sure how i feel about this team. Doolan and Marsh are along for the ride as future players but Maxwell? and i hope O'Keefe is not an excuse to stuff Lyon around again. Is Patterson injured still?

Wow, O'Keefe finally given a look. Lyon still should be number 1 thought.

I also don't like the Maxwell selection that much either.

Test squad - Michael Clarke (c), Alex Doolan, Phillip Hughes, Brad Haddin, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve O'Keefe, Mitchell Johnson, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner, Shane Watson

Not sure how i feel about this team. Doolan and Marsh are along for the ride as future players but Maxwell? and i hope O'Keefe is not an excuse to stuff Lyon around again. Is Patterson injured still?

Yep, stress fractures in his back. Bowling action is being remodelled as well so he'll be out for a while.

Don't like Maxwell in there but the test of the squad looks okay. Obviously missing a few through injury but good to see O'Keefe get a chance.

So it looks like Mitch Marsh is in the starting line-up. Big chance for him, though it will be tough if they decide to put out turners. Like most Aussie youngsters (and some of the oldsters) he's not crash hot against spin. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him though, Watson needs proper competition instead of being a a walk-up whenever he's fit.

So it looks like Mitch Marsh is in the starting line-up. Big chance for him, though it will be tough if they decide to put out turners. Like most Aussie youngsters (and some of the oldsters) he's not crash hot against spin. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him though, Watson needs proper competition instead of being a a walk-up whenever he's fit.
Agree that Watson needs competition but i still question the obsession over all rounders. A good test team does not need one unless they are really of the quality required for test cricket and history shows they are rare. But good luck to him and hope he does well.

I wonder what they are thinking in regards to Rogers and the upcoming home summer, he would be pretty nervous atm I reckon.

If Marsh goes on to make a big score here it might be hard for them to put him out for Watson, I wonder if there is any chance at all that they would just play both at the GABBA?

I'd probably go with something like this for the first Test batting.

Warner
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
Smith
M.Marsh
Haddin

Rogers would be nervous yes, needs to make runs against India otherwise he won't be on the plane to England. Fair to say Maxwell should never be allowed anywhere near the test team for the very long time and Doolan probably won't be in the side for a while also.

Personally I'd like to see one of the in-form guys from the Shield come into the team. Not sure we'll see Haddin in the India series with his dislocated shoulder either.

Marsh was a lot more confident against spin that I would have ever thought. His footwork was much improved and his temperament looks test match to a tee.

Rogers would be nervous yes, needs to make runs against India otherwise he won't be on the plane to England. Fair to say Maxwell should never be allowed anywhere near the test team for the very long time and Doolan probably won't be in the side for a while also.

Personally I'd like to see one of the in-form guys from the Shield come into the team. Not sure we'll see Haddin in the India series with his dislocated shoulder either.

Give Paine or Nev a shot. He really was poor on this tour even before he did something to his shoulder.

Back