how to bat for spin bowling

Re: how to bat for spin bowling

On the weekend I had the luck to face 2 spinners for my short innings

For the offie I smashed anything just on or outside off straight back over his head, anything on middle and leg straight over the deep midwicket fielders head :D Unfortunately after the ball cleared one of the neighbouring fences they decided they couldnt be bothered playing out the day :(

The leggie was a bit more difficult as he was getting some good bounce making cutting a bit hard therefore had to resort to the reverse sweep, worked very well indeed!

Spinners are without doubt for me the easiest bowlers to face, just have to learn that when the wind is strong, dont try and hit into it :p

eddiesmith;380119 said:
Spinners are without doubt for me the easiest bowlers to face, just have to learn that when the wind is strong, dont try and hit into it :p
Usually slow bowlers like to bowl into the wind so hitting back towards him is ok. Cross breezes are a different matter though

eddiesmith;380119 said:

I think the bloke here being a spinner conceded that the batsman like you was a good player of spin - what with it being so slow and all that YouTube - Shane Warne's Ball Of The Century!

Similarly most of these bloke can play spin as well some days YouTube - Muttiah Muralitharan 9/65 Vs England | Oval Test 1998

These blokes as well thought they could play spin too YouTube - Stuart MacGill 12/107 Vs England

Mate a half decent spin bowler is going to have you back in the sheds again and again and again, you've just been lucky not to have come across one yet.

someblokecalleddave;380228 said:
I think the bloke here being a spinner conceded that the batsman like you was a good player of spin - what with it being so slow and all that YouTube - Shane Warne's Ball Of The Century!

Similarly most of these bloke can play spin as well some days YouTube - Muttiah Muralitharan 9/65 Vs England | Oval Test 1998

These blokes as well thought they could play spin too YouTube - Stuart MacGill 12/107 Vs England

Mate a half decent spin bowler is going to have you back in the sheds again and again and again, you've just been lucky not to have come across one yet.

Hahaha, dave I'm pretty sure eddie just just making up some stuff for his own amusement:D

We all know Victorians can't bat ;)

macca;380223 said:
Usually slow bowlers like to bowl into the wind so hitting back towards him is ok. Cross breezes are a different matter though

I should have played him straight, trouble was I like mid wicket and the breeze was sort of blowing straight across or coming from fine leg

You notice the main part of all those clips, England, they have never been able to play spin :p

Obviously the elite of the elite spinners are good, as are the elite at any level, but overall I find spinners easier than someone bowling good pace

Although went up this week and the opposition had a very good spinner, never got to test myself against him as they took him off with 1 over left in his allotment when I came in :(

Main thing I have tried to change this year is if they get good flight and bounce its pretty safe to pad up alot of the time and pick the ball in the right slot, this bowler turned it, flighted it, nothing short and had a great wrong un, would have been a great test

Disagree. I just watched a guy take apart a seconds bowler today. He had no answer, didn't look one bit like getting him out. I just think saying any half decent spinner is going to get anyone who takes them on out is a big imaginative.

Well I have to say that spinners are the best form of bowling by far and are the hardest to face if you come up against a good one.

But I also have to say I am much fonder of playing spin than pace bowling and score most of my runs from them, and rarely lose my wicket to them.

The difference though is that facing good spinners is a rareity, they are normally just like slow pace bowlers because they get no spin or drift or have any varietions. The best spin bowling I have faced didn't have variety so I could tell what was coming next. If you have a good spinner in your fixtures, you have done well.

Boris;380308 said:
Well I have to say that spinners are the best form of bowling by far and are the hardest to face if you come up against a good one.

The best cricket to watch I reckon is good legspin v good batting. It doesn't matter who wins the battle.

The three bowlers who troubled Bradman most were all spinners. Verity and Grimmett both dismissed him the most ,ten times each. Incredible that Grimmett mostly played in the same club, state and national team as Bradman. And O Reilly was Bradmans nominated greatest bowler that he ever faced.

But great spinners are rare. The three mentioned above were a lot quicker through the air and gained more nip off the pitch than any you are likely to ever face in club cricket.

I'm only having a laugh, I'm sure Eddie's probably doing the same. I'm sure anyone that is good at batting would concede that on certain wickets in differing conditions there'll be days when they'll struggle against spinners? I know last season I did pretty well, but I did come up against a couple I had no answer to and got hit to the 4 corners of the pitch, but so did everyone else and the bloke went on to score over 100 runs.

I naturally play very late and I'm good off the back foot, so anything on a good or short length goes. Anything full I can usually keep out, but thats where I get troubled with spinners. Naturally I play better to them.

I find using your crease the best way to play spin. Watch the ball through the air to determine the length, if you can do this early, you can charge down and smother the ball before it spins (or play aggressively), or you can rock back right in your crease and kill it or play a cross bat shot.

EDIT: If you've read the seam position or ball out of the hand, so you know how it will behave, don't underestimate using your feet sideways. This can get your body right behind the ball and allow you to kill it.

I haven't read all of this thread but here's my two cents:
As a leg-spinner, I love it when batsmen play with their bat at a bit of an angle, I feel that if I can get one to turn in to them, then I can get them bowled through the gate or if I get one to bounce more, then it gets an edge - so make sure you either play with a straight bat or play a properly cross-batted shot. If the guy is turning loads then you're are best to only attack on the back foot and merely smother the ball on the front foot, but if he isn't spinning it that much, then feel free to get to the pitch of the ball and drive it down the ground with a straight bat.

If you're no good at batting (Me for instance) what's the basic advice for playing offies?

Offies, leggies, doesn't matter, the single most important thing is that once you have spotted roughly where the ball is going to pitch, you either get right forward to the pitch of the ball, or right back in a position where you can react to the turn and bounce. If you get caught in between too often its only a matter of time before you're toast.

A second factor is to know when your pads are your friend and when they are your enemy. Balls pitching outside leg or so far outside off that you can get outside the line, they are your friend so use them as a second line of defence; balls pitching on the stumps or just outside off, they are your enemy, keep them well out of the way.

I played a match today didnt bowl but battes and got out to a régulariser off spin delivery on 0. I played for the ball coming pretty much staright on the front foot but the ball juste Turned slightly and hit my pad the umpire gave it out but i wasnt toi sure so how should i play off spin? Should i play for a straight one or the off spinner?

You play for his stock ball, which is the off-break. My personal thoughts have always been to go deep into the crease and look to pounce on anything short, if he is going to pitch it up then you need to commit to coming forwards with either a good stride in and your head over it or use your feet and get to it.

I know it is a saying that is uttered non-stop but play it late. If you can't pick something different in his holding of the ball or his action then you just have to make a positive move as late as you can for the straight one.

Saying that however, I'm an awful player of spin and it may be worth not listening to a word I say!

Last edited:
Don't play for anything. Either get to the pitch so it can't turn, or go back and watch which way the ball turns before playing a shot.

If you just guess what the ball is going to do, you won't last an over.

Back