Plantar Fasciitis

That's great news weapons! To keep this at bay, you both need to stretch your calf muscles. If you do not have time to stretch every day, at least do so before and after activity.

Fingers crossed X

I'm not so sure, this is our best chance in decades and I'm sure our boys will looking to take the advantage and your lot look like they're in a state of flux at a crucial time. I reckon it'll be a close run thing, but we'll just do it.

our boys are all rested up......pace and bounce is what we thrive on.....you blokes well.....only win on home soil......

Update - It's all good - recent practices have been fine, no pain at all, but I am still doing the massage thing in the morning before I get up and start walking. I'm also stretching before doing anything and stretching at the end of it as well to warm down, so it's looking good for the start of the season.

I'm having a PF relapse at the moment and it seems to have coincided with the reduction in sport activity and the increase in going up and down stairs at work. The massage technique and gentle stretching seems to be keeping it at bay, but I've had to start doing this again whereas I seem to recall I've not suffered from this for the best part of a year. At the minute it just seems that it tightens over-night and needs the massage in the morning. I'm assuming this is being caused by the tightening in the calves again?

Afraid so Dave.

You can purchase 'boots' to wear on the foot overnight to keep your foot at 90 degrees to the leg, keeping your calf muscles lengthened. However, I do believe stretching the calf muscles regularly is a far better option... and of course the iced water bottle during the day!

Afraid so Dave.

You can purchase 'boots' to wear on the foot overnight to keep your foot at 90 degrees to the leg, keeping your calf muscles lengthened. However, I do believe stretching the calf muscles regularly is a far better option... and of course the iced water bottle during the day!

Yeah I think that's what I need to revert back to, I think I've got a bit blase' about it and I just need to get back on the stretching before and after practicing if I'm not generally active as I am at the moment. Watched the video and yeah that's really helpful and I'll implement some of the ideas.

Yeah I think that's what I need to revert back to, I think I've got a bit blase' about it and I just need to get back on the stretching before and after practicing if I'm not generally active as I am at the moment. Watched the video and yeah that's really helpful and I'll implement some of the ideas.

good luck with it dave.....for me no dali lamas so far so good......

good luck with it dave.....for me no dali lamas so far so good......

It was me getting lazy. I've implemented just a couple of the ideas in the video and within 48 hours there was a marked improvement. I've been stretching my calf muscle and rolling a cricket ball under the foot and stretching before and after any activity and bingo I'm okay again. It's the fact that I'm getting old and I just assume once I've kind of got to a certain fitness level I can then slack off. Evidence is proving otherwise, I need to be constantly stretching and warming up and looking after my calf muscles. Glad to hear yours is better, how was it in the off-season or did you play another sport?

It was me getting lazy. I've implemented just a couple of the ideas in the video and within 48 hours there was a marked improvement. I've been stretching my calf muscle and rolling a cricket ball under the foot and stretching before and after any activity and bingo I'm okay again. It's the fact that I'm getting old and I just assume once I've kind of got to a certain fitness level I can then slack off. Evidence is proving otherwise, I need to be constantly stretching and warming up and looking after my calf muscles. Glad to hear yours is better, how was it in the off-season or did you play another sport?

i say preparation is the key!!!! i use the term the 6 p's....prior preparation prevents piss poor peformances!!!!

as i dont play aussie rules any more and yeah in the winter there is a new comp in melbourne called mid year cricket(i call it winter cricket) it was amazing as there was no wash out games compared to our summer cricket where there was 6 games completed.......did ok for my club and represented victoria and also captianed the side to a win over the new south wales team who come over to our territory......in a repeat of last seasons trip over there where they won......its played on hard wicket(synthetic)......so yeah for 2 years in a row played cricket right through out the year........and looking for a big summer with the willow.....so yeah i havnt had a flare up for about 18 months......

cheers all the best!!!!

End of season, massive reduction in activity, gone from wearing trainers and walking around bare foot to having to wear Dr Martens and PF is back! As I recall one of the reasons of PF is a reduction of the main thigh muscle on the front of the legs and squats are a way of getting the muscle back in action? Slightly worried as the onset of it has been rapid. Calf muscles massively tight and feeling twisted and knotted too, so working on massaging them as well and stretching them. Don't want this to develop any further, I've got a mate who has this and he gets it bad.

Mine has largely gone away now, it flared up after wearing those flat style 'skater' shoes that to be everywhere. It only took 8 months of not running and buying new shoes. Luckily I was already doing calf stretching and strengthening exercises as part of work for other injuries.

What bugs me is my non-cricket playing Dad and eldest brother said "..oh yeah, we had it as well, you were bound to get it"...thanks for the warning guys!

...What bugs me is my non-cricket playing Dad and eldest brother said "..oh yeah, we had it as well, you were bound to get it"...thanks for the warning guys!

The only way PF is 'hereditary' is if you copy the poor movement patterns of your parents [which is common!] or you inherit your parents' poor footwear! :D

End of season, massive reduction in activity, gone from wearing trainers and walking around bare foot to having to wear Dr Martens and PF is back! As I recall one of the reasons of PF is a reduction of the main thigh muscle on the front of the legs and squats are a way of getting the muscle back in action? Slightly worried as the onset of it has been rapid. Calf muscles massively tight and feeling twisted and knotted too, so working on massaging them as well and stretching them. Don't want this to develop any further, I've got a mate who has this and he gets it bad.
oh dear! better ditch the DMs!

oh dear! better ditch the DMs!
I've resolved it already! It was just a case of no exercise at all. I just got the foot in some ice to resolve the initial pain. Started to massage the foot and stretch my calf muscle before I got out of bed and then started to do stretches during the day and squats when-ever I could. Was managing to do them several times during the day and holding them for almost a minute. Seems to have done the trick!

You have to wonder, if I'm up for doing exercise and if I get this kind of thing happening I increase my exercise and try and resolve it, what happens to all the other people walking around who are over-weight and not doing anything, surely they all must be far worse off than me?

Overweight is subjective. I work with guys whose BMI would have the medical profession screaming 'morbidly obese' but they are fit, healthy, solid collections of muscles... all in the right place and functioning perfectly!

However, many 'thin' people suffer with PF; it is not your size or exercise regime that counts but your mechanics. Genuine DMs are not the issue but the way you walk whilst wearing them!

Overweight is subjective. I work with guys whose BMI would have the medical profession screaming 'morbidly obese' but they are fit, healthy, solid collections of muscles... all in the right place and functioning perfectly!

However, many 'thin' people suffer with PF; it is not your size or exercise regime that counts but your mechanics. Genuine DMs are not the issue but the way you walk whilst wearing them!
BMI is a flawed measure as it doesn't distinguish between muscle and fat.

I think Bodyfat % works as an objective measure but it is tricky to measure accurately.

Back