Wrist Spin Coaching/workshops Thread

So with the season winding down will everyone have a bit more time to commit to a workshop? If we are happy with Essex/Cambs border what else can we agree on to try and get this off the ground,
* what are peoples views on indoor/outdoor (obviously indoor may have a cost implication)?
* how long should it last for?
* what sort of mix between general coaching and individual support (should participants be limited)?
* how many would come from a coaching background?

Just a bump really, but would help any coach attending to be better prepared

Tony how long was that session at Essex I attended along with you? That felt about right - but then again it was free, if I'd have been paying I might have wanted more perhaps?

I'm off to my last game, so I'll check back in later.

Dave, the S&C session at Essex CC was about 3 hours from memory. Obviously longer = more money for both coach and facility so just trying to gauge an expectation level. Looking at the Essex CC site they do a 30min session for £28.80 (£24.00 for members) at their indoor school with a Level 2 coach or above but looks like a minimum booking of 7 sessions.

Dave, the S&C session at Essex CC was about 3 hours from memory. Obviously longer = more money for both coach and facility so just trying to gauge an expectation level. Looking at the Essex CC site they do a 30min session for £28.80 (£24.00 for members) at their indoor school with a Level 2 coach or above but looks like a minimum booking of 7 sessions.

Blimey, Terry Jenner was cheap then! I'll have to look back through my emails and see how much he was going to charge us and how long the session was.

Liz Ward emailed me recently with this. I guess with Liz living on the border between Essex and Suffolk and contacts with ECCC the venue will probably be the Essex County Ground indoor facilities in Chelmsford
Are there any of you out there, that are interested in this, I think it'll probably be at the end of March or early April. All of which is subject to confirmation and how much interest is generated in the event?

One of the other questions that she had was - What do we want - what would you like covered in such a workshop - how long would you expect it to last etc?

Post your responses in here if you're interested and we'll see if we can generate some interest.

Hi Dave,
I have been speaking to a coach [ex-Zimbabwe International] who would like to put on a spin workshop. Are you still interested, if so what would you like covered? Would you know of anybody else interested to attend?

Hi just joined this site and have self taught myself leg spin with the help of youtube and tutorial aides . Managed to turn the ball huge amounts in all conditions ,find bowling in a cross wind difficult, any advice? There are massive gaps in my knowledge and attending a workshop would only benefit me and live close to Chelmsford.

Hi just joined this site and have self taught myself leg spin with the help of youtube and tutorial aides . Managed to turn the ball huge amounts in all conditions ,find bowling in a cross wind difficult, any advice? There are massive gaps in my knowledge and attending a workshop would only benefit me and live close to Chelmsford.

Terry, there's some discussion relating to this happening via personal messages at the moment. I think the response last Spring was quite positive, but at the moment the response looks to be a bit muted. Those that are looking into the chance of this coming together are looking at opening it out to a wider audience. Watch this space.

Cheers Dave definitely interested . This was my first season of leg spin bowling, though also having to bowl medium pace as well ,played friendlies for other sides which gave me the opportunity to bowl spin . Only really struggled bowling into a crosswind get drift but little spin. Is it better to float up high and not worry about pace , the slower I bowled with the maximum flight seemed to be the most effective in these conditions, what is your opinion

Cheers Dave definitely interested . This was my first season of leg spin bowling, though also having to bowl medium pace as well ,played friendlies for other sides which gave me the opportunity to bowl spin . Only really struggled bowling into a crosswind get drift but little spin. Is it better to float up high and not worry about pace , the slower I bowled with the maximum flight seemed to be the most effective in these conditions, what is your opinion

It depends on the scenario you're playing in. How good the batsmen are and how accurate you are. I've seen blokes bowling really loopy dibbly dobbly before now with no spin on at all, but landing the ball on a length where the batsmen wanting to keep their wicket, haven't wanted to go forward to it or play off the back - foot. In the last game of the season, I brought in a bloke I knew would toss the ball up, whilst at the same time not be very accurate, he took two wickets, where the batsman came after him and ended up looking like fools. It all depends on the state of the game, how brave you are, whether you can afford to go for runs - all those kinds of factors. It's not something I'm brave enough to do, but it's definitely something I see a lot of and seen it work really well for the bowler!

Longer term, if you can really start to get some revs on the ball and little more speed, you'll get some dip as well, that with accuracy and the variation of your speed will give you more to work with.

Cheers Dave for your advice . My real issue is bowling into a crosswind what is the best plan to adopt, for this scenario just consistently putting it on a spot

I don't really know, just factor in the wind, bowl and few and see what happens, if the wind is affecting it just make adjustments for the wind? Wind here in the UK is pretty varied, so I'd imagine you'd only run into that kind of scenario a few times in a season? I'm not a big drifter of the ball, so I guess if you're one of those that does get it to drift - maybe the wind and the drift combined exacerbates the deviation?

Although playing for Yorkshire (graduating from their Academy), Surrey and Lancashire Gary is now primarily the Notts' spin coach [and asst physio]. However, he took to the field for a few matches this past season for Notts, notably against Durham and Yorkshire.

I would imagine that you will find him in and around Trent Bridge... if that helps! :D

Although playing for Yorkshire (graduating from their Academy), Surrey and Lancashire Gary is now primarily the Notts' spin coach [and asst physio]. However, he took to the field for a few matches this past season for Notts, notably against Durham and Yorkshire.

I would imagine that you will find him in and around Trent Bridge... if that helps! :D
Ah okay, that might be do-able in that case. I've got rellies that live in Derby that we visit a couple of times a year, I might be able to tie in a visit to them with a session with this bloke? I'll delve deeper in that case, cheers Liz!

Back