Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

In short, pivot.

Is it even possible to bowl without pivoting? Its an intrinsic part of the bowling action.

Legspinners typically pivot less than fast bowlers or offspinners, the reduced (or delayed) pivot is necessary to achieve the pronation required to get the back of the band facing the batsman.

To pivot or not to pivot, that is the question ?

Don't think about pivoting, just think about trying to spin the ball hard in the direction you want it to go, at a decent pace. Your bowling action has to come naturally, you can't force yourself to do this exaggerated pivot if your body doesn't naturally do that.

Ive seen the word "Academy" a few timed and now Liz talked about a bloke who was in the Yorkshire Academy, what exactly is an Academy and how do you entre an Academy ?

So they are players from clubs who get picked?

As far as I am aware, youth coaches are allowed to nominate a certain numberfrom their club youth teams to try out for the county squad. Those players are then invited to trials (typically 50-60 players), and the best 15 are chosen to be in the squad.

When they reach 17-18 etc, the very best of them will be invited to join the academy.

Unless you are already playing at a very high level eg ECB premier league and putting up exception figures every week, you're unlikely to be offered a trial from outside the system.

As far as I am aware, youth coaches are allowed to nominate a certain numberfrom their club youth teams to try out for the county squad. Those players are then invited to trials (typically 50-60 players), and the best 15 are chosen to be in the squad.

When they reach 17-18 etc, the very best of them will be invited to join the academy.

Unless you are already playing at a very high level eg ECB premier league and putting up exception figures every week, you're unlikely to be offered a trial from outside the system.
So all the England players wznt through this system then and btw are coaches in clubs paid?

In the North West, good young players will go along to a Lancashire CCC day of trials where the players have a bat and a bowl. The best players will be picked up and get a place in the Lancs Academy. Once in the academy they will get lots of good training, but mostly they will play a lot of games (there are various Lancs teams for various age groups in the academy set-up and they will play games against suitable opponents). The idea is, of course, that these players continue to develop and try, by the age of 17 or 18, to play for the Lancs 2nd XI and so on.

Down our way, kids from the clubs are identified as having potential and a district coach comes and sees them play and they then play for the district as well as their club if deemed promising. I think they then get a chance to go to a once a year event at Essex. This event they get a one off chance that year to make an impression, if they get through they go through to the Essex Academy. Once there, they've got their foot in the door. Ravi Bopara got his break through that kind of progression route.

I wonder if there are any other ways of breaking into the big time here in the UK. I know there's been stories out of Australia where blokes were green-keepers one minute then playing for Australia the next... Nathan Lyon? Does that kind of thing happen here?

I'm not aware of any players who have been "Lyoned" in England, they all either went through the County system at a very young age or have come from local cricket clubs playing at a good standard and been to one of the trials days, again at a youngish age. Ashton Agar is another one, that sort of thing is unforeseeable here.

Last edited:
Too true. English cricket is a bastion of bigotry (the BCCI learned everything they know from England and the English class system - of which, cricket is forever entwined).

lol, way to miss the point.

Calling up a complete unknown into your test team is an admission of complete and humiliating failure and a desperate lack of confidence in your talent recognition and player development systems. THAT is why it doesn't happen in England, because a player of Lyon's obvious talent would have been identified decades earlier. Bigotry has nothing to do with it.

The upper echelons of ECB may be public school boy bigot extraordinaires, but don't attempt to paint the whole of English cricket with the same brush, we're light years ahead of Australia and New Zealand when it comes to progressive and inclusionist policies.

Back