Why Is The Yorker Going Out Of The Game?

As ever, players further down the ladder look to the trends in the professional game, in the same way that club players now want to practice different batting shots, often without having anything like a solid base to expand upon. I still like bowlers I work with to attempt the yorker but as the article says, it needs to be worked on which isn't necessarily what modern bowlers want to hear.

Too true Tony.

If you came upon a young bowler who instinctively bowled yorkers, how would you plan his/her progression?

Here in France Evert fast bowler dreams of bowling the perfect surprise yorker which a few bowlers in my club bowl well too, but they bowl the slower ball too

At what level and in which formats is it going out of the game?

Maybe professional T20? But even that is a stretch - you still see plenty of bowlers using them in the T20 cup.

I haven't seen a change in the number of yorkers bowled or their effectiveness at amateur level. Yes the slower ball has come in, but that is seen as an additional variation (Yorker, bouncer, slower ball) rather than a replacement. You still want any bowler to bowl 5 balls an over at the top of offstump.

At what level and in which formats is it going out of the game?

Maybe professional T20? But even that is a stretch - you still see plenty of bowlers using them in the T20 cup.

I haven't seen a change in the number of yorkers bowled or their effectiveness at amateur level. Yes the slower ball has come in, but that is seen as an additional variation (Yorker, bouncer, slower ball) rather than a replacement. You still want any bowler to bowl 5 balls an over at the top of offstump.
I would agree, as a broken down old fast bowler i assure you that i tried to bowl quite a few more than i landed. The yorker is a tough ball to land in the right spot. A little short and you are driven a little over pitched and it is a full toss. The slower ball or in the end just that variation of pace was always easier to achieve but each ball had its job and you need to square up the batsman before deciding what to bowl them.

Back