Test XI Selection Thread

So would you guys put Shaun Marsh in the line-up for the first Test?

If Rogers doesn't start scoring runs Marsh could find himself in the side. If Rogers were to be dropped, Watson could move up to open the innings with Smith to bat at three while Marsh would bat at five.

They may as well put Smith at 3 now and let him develop.. That's the plan anyway from management?
I think he bats up there for NSW, I'd thought he'd be better down the order but someone has to bat up the order. Not exactly he most popular position since Ponting retired ha.

They may as well put Smith at 3 now and let him develop.. That's the plan anyway from management?
Thats what they do most of the time and have destroyed young players in the process. Leave Smith at 5, progress to 4 or if he develops the ability to control the game then 3. This whole issue came about because Clarke could not step up when he was meant to and left a great void at three.

Steve Smith announced as captain. You would have to think this is a way of telling us that the Clarke situation is not good.

Steve Smith announced as captain. You would have to think this is a way of telling us that the Clarke situation is not good.

Yep, obviously not good at all. Given he's had surgery that suggests its a lot worse than your typical hamstring strain.

Went in for surgery today, I think they that he's ruled out for even the World Cup?

Highly doubtful he'll play the World Cup now given he's had surgery to correct the problem, this suggests he has torn most of the muscle off the bone. Clarke would be looking at probably at least three months out of the game minimum, perhaps more.

Good luck to a very young team. Steve Smith has a big job ahead and i hope he surprises us all and does an outstanding job.

I wonder who they will look at bringing in if M.Marsh doesn't pull up for Boxing Day.

2 scores of 55 should take any potential pressure off Rogers for the moment.

I wonder who they will look at bringing in if M.Marsh doesn't pull up for Boxing Day.

2 scores of 55 should take any potential pressure off Rogers for the moment.
Marsh will probably be ok but has always been fragile. There is a need to take some action as we only have a couple more tests then it is the Ashes. We need change at three as Wato is a joke. bowling looks ok at the moment though with some options available.

Burns in for M.Marsh.
good move. clearly looking to the future now. Funny, there is talk about Haddin but i find it strange. His batting might be in poor touch but he is there to keep wicket and is showing a good set of gloves ATM. I would think Haddin is there till the end of next summer when he gets to retire a hero, and why not.

Marsh will probably be ok but has always been fragile. There is a need to take some action as we only have a couple more tests then it is the Ashes. We need change at three as Wato is a joke. bowling looks ok at the moment though with some options available.
Later than most people but yeah I've absolutely had enough of Watson up the order, if he wants a Test spot he should have to fight with Marsh for it at 6 and Mitch should be ahead of him at the moment when fit.

Gee the sack Marsh brigade over on BF after one game must be upset he made over some runs in the 2nd innings.

A lot of that over there are pretty funny when they think that averages are the ONLY way to rate and select players.

Gee the sack Marsh brigade over on BF after one game must be upset he made over some runs in the 2nd innings.

A lot of that over there are pretty funny when they think that averages are the ONLY way to rate and select players.

Some of the vitriol on there was embarrassing. I saw a range of people bagging out Shaun Marsh and actually enjoying the fact he was run out 99. It was disgusting. A lot of them seemed to be from Victoria and South Australia which says a lot since none of their dud cricketers are good enough for the team at the moment.

The Test team for the tours of the West Indies and the Ashes in England have been announced. What do you think.
Ahmed could be a good pick and Voges is also interesting.

Michael Clarke (capt), Steve Smith, Fawad Ahmed, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris (Ashes only), Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Peter Nevill, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson.

Tour Dates;

Australia to West Indies 2015
  • May 29-31: Tour Match, Antigua
  • Jun 5-9: First Test, Dominca
  • Jun 13-17: Second Test, Jamaica

Australia to UK 2015
  • Jun 25-28: Four-day v Kent, Canterbury
  • Jul 1-4: Four-day v Essex, Chelmsford
  • Jul 8-12: First Test, Sophia Gardens
  • Jul 16-20: Second Test, Lord’s
  • Jul 23-25: Three-day v Derbyshire, County Ground
  • Jul 29 - Aug 2: Third Test, Edgbaston
  • Aug 6-10: Fourth Test, Trent Bridge
  • Aug 14-16: Three-day v Northants, Northampton
  • Aug 20-24: Fifth Test, The Oval

I like it, pretty much every single player has earned their spot through form or has been a part of the team for a reasonable amount of time.

The selections of Fawad Ahmed and Adam Voges are due reward for both as they have both had outstanding Sheffield Shield seasons, their form through weight of numbers in terms of wickets for Ahmed and runs for Voges was impossible to ignore. It shows that guys can make the side through consistently stringing good performances together in Shield cricket and that the selectors took notice of those who are showing good form at domestic level. The same applies for Nevill who also had good form in the Shield this season and has been building for the last couple of seasons.

I don't see Siddle playing any tests at all bar injuries, I think he had fallen a fair way down the pecking order.

Back