Subbies Thread

I'm not convinced about Werribee. They're lucky they pinched that win against Balwyn, otherwise top 4 would be looking uncertain.

Yarraville definitely seem a contender. The top six on the ladder look pretty strong. If Brunswick's bowlers can rip through the middle / lower order of Plenty Valley tomorrow, they might still be in with a chance.

Thought it was a sign of a fair bit of depth seeing as though they chased down 270 and their best 3 bats got 35 between them. Only reason they were chasing that many is because of Murphy who is a very, very good player.

Agree and agree.

The Bright Boy lost me after Brighton have had a bad year...

With Lee Weiss, yes, probably out of his depth, probably not up to it (today), but I really liked the appointment. He can't be any more than 22, whatever he does and learns this season he will be better for next season, and so on and so forth. I am guessing Moorabbin don't have the coin (or the appeal) to obtain a Sheedy, Warren, Mick Allen, or Flynn. So accepting that 14/15 was never going to be a premiership tilt, put the faith in Weiss and get games into Kennedy and Cull etc, start building a base for something of substance in 2 to 3 years time when these guys start to hit their peak. From a distance, he seems to be passionate about his cricket, shows some leadership potential, and I hope there are some mentors down at Moorleigh that can guide him through. Doing the same old over again and expecting a different result was never going to work so credit to a weak club for having the balls to try something different. I hope they stick by him otherwise this season is just another waste.
Sorry I lost you .It was complex! Pradeep would not be cheap as one of best performed subbies playes of last decade and a professional cricketer. Must have some coin. Lee is very passionate about cricket as seen by his junior coaching commitments. Would certainly get a game at most subbies clubs. Cannot see Moorabbin doing much in the next few years.

Sorry I lost you .It was complex! Pradeep would not be cheap as one of best performed subbies playes of last decade and a professional cricketer. Must have some coin. Lee is very passionate about cricket as seen by his junior coaching commitments. Would certainly get a game at most subbies clubs. Cannot see Moorabbin doing much in the next few years.

Nah, not that complex, just a polite way of saying your view of the top 6 was pretty out there. For what it's worth I don't see the top 2 changing, Malvern will make it but will need to beat Caulfield in an upset to finish top 4, Box Hill out, Endeavour in.

Nah, not that complex, just a polite way of saying your view of the top 6 was pretty out there. For what it's worth I don't see the top 2 changing, Malvern will make it but will need to beat Caulfield in an upset to finish top 4, Box Hill out, Endeavour in.

Top 2 will certainly not change, Oakleigh and Caulfield miles ahead of the rest. Other 4 teams just making up the numbers I would have thought. I like noble as a smokey, but the distance in the comps elite and good teams was pretty well confirmed by the bayswater and caulfield game.

Top 2 will certainly not change, Oakleigh and Caulfield miles ahead of the rest. Other 4 teams just making up the numbers I would have thought. I like noble as a smokey, but the distance in the comps elite and good teams was pretty well confirmed by the bayswater and caulfield game.
Going to be hard for Noble to be a smokey when they prob wont make the 6. They will need a miracle to get there. Oakleigh and Caulfield certainly not unbeatable and as seen the pressure of being favourite can be a real burden at this level.

This round's predictions:

North / West:

Williamstown v Melton
Yarraville
v Coburg
Plenty Valley v Preston
RPB v Kew
Ivanhoe v Sunshine
Altona v Werribee
Balwyn v Brunswick

South / East:

Bayswater v Noble Park
Box Hill v Caulfield
Elsternwick v Ormond
Oakleigh
v Croydon
Moorabbin v Endeavour Hills
Brighton
v Kingston Saints
Malvern v Mt Waverley

Interesting round ahead.

In the N/E, Altona need to beat Werribee to give Willy, Ivanhoe and Brunswick a chance of pinching the number 6 spot.

In the S/E, must win games for Noble Park and Endeavour Hills.

Great weekend playing at Kingston. Great club and excellent facility.
Glad to here it. The facilities are now up with anyones in Subbies. I'm biased, but there isn't a better clubhouse in the comp. Wicket is not quite there, but still OK, Sunday's wasn't as bad as the scores would suggest.

The spin doctors are saying the CV super league proposal "seems likely" to go ahead in 16/17. CV are putting up $500K worth of good reasons. Bone of contention apparently is VSDCA and VTCA (who would have thought) being broken up. Subbies want 4 regions not 5, based on existing zones (which would mean some subbies clubs would start in Div 2). Subbies will speak publicly after sharing the info with clubs... Full article in Bayside leader

The spin doctors are saying the CV super league proposal "seems likely" to go ahead in 16/17. CV are putting up $500K worth of good reasons. Bone of contention apparently is VSDCA and VTCA (who would have thought) being broken up. Subbies want 4 regions not 5, based on existing zones (which would mean some subbies clubs would start in Div 2). Subbies will speak publicly after sharing the info with clubs... Full article in Bayside leader
Peta Credlin on the hustings????

I've read the 'proposal' and it has more holes than a slice of swiss cheese. The first of which is to pay some $100K to be CEO of a league. It would be a 7 day a week job, you would have rocks in your head to do that job for a 100 large, especially in the 1st few years when problems will be plentiful. Then there is the structure of the thing, our 3rd XI would be playing a 1st XI team!!!

I have been highlighting issues in the report, fair to say, my highlighter is running dry! Would suggest it is a long way from being done!

Very interesting and thanks for the update. Money talks all languages!! BTW the serious money is on Plenty Valley getting the nod ahead of the Premier Cricket contenders out here in the west. A number of W'bee C C folk are talking as if they are a shoe-in -- I think they will be in for a disappointment.

Best thing for turf cricket as its going backwards, both major competitions are tired. The one thing they are not looking at is Premier, which should be cut back.

Best thing for turf cricket as its going backwards, both major competitions are tired. The one thing they are not looking at is Premier, which should be cut back.

Agree with premier cricket being cut back, it is way too big and especially in the lower 11's where those kids are just fill ins and most who go to play premier cricket end up not playing in the next few years because of how much they hate it.

We have had 4 or 5 over the last three years go to premier cricket, get stuck in the 4's and then quit, really concerning.

Also Super Saint just read that article as well, Sunshine being Sunshine.

Agree with premier cricket being cut back, it is way too big and especially in the lower 11's where those kids are just fill ins and most who go to play premier cricket end up not playing in the next few years because of how much they hate it.

We have had 4 or 5 over the last three years go to premier cricket, get stuck in the 4's and then quit, really concerning.

Also Super Saint just read that article as well, Sunshine being Sunshine.
Agree, Premier needs to be cut back to 2 XI's.

Can't say I am particularly happy when we have had to do 2 Country Week games. Would suggest that is a club significantly struggling!

I do not presently have an involvement with Sunshine and cannot throw any light on what happened. What I can say, based on my personal experience over a number of years at 2 subbies clubs out here in the west is that neither were particularly enthused about hosting Country Week, the principal gripe being that nowadays the players seldom stay after the match for any length of time. Instead, they soon pile into a mini bus and head for an evening in town. So, very little is made over the bar to compensate for the inconvenience of club personnell having to take time off work to host the match. The amount paid to the host club by the cricket authorities is paltry, and now that the dividend is being phased out the subbies are probably not on strong grounds to insist clubs host Country Week when they would prefer not to. Also, both clubs I refer to rely on part-time curators and I have yet to see any offer to pay them for the additional work they must do. They are well aware that cricket authorities would never dream of asking umpires to officiate at these matches for free. It is adverse discriminatory treatment.

I believe this is the last year of it and curators will be happy, the same as they hate the Hatch in the hottest time of the year

I do not presently have an involvement with Sunshine and cannot throw any light on what happened. What I can say, based on my personal experience over a number of years at 2 subbies clubs out here in the west is that neither were particularly enthused about hosting Country Week, the principal gripe being that nowadays the players seldom stay after the match for any length of time. Instead, they soon pile into a mini bus and head for an evening in town. So, very little is made over the bar to compensate for the inconvenience of club personnell having to take time off work to host the match. The amount paid to the host club by the cricket authorities is paltry, and now that the dividend is being phased out the subbies are probably not on strong grounds to insist clubs host Country Week when they would prefer not to. Also, both clubs I refer to rely on part-time curators and I have yet to see any offer to pay them for the additional work they must do. They are well aware that cricket authorities would never dream of asking umpires to officiate at these matches for free. It is adverse discriminatory treatment.

This is a really good post and I think it cuts to the chase about the real issue in turf cricket. When Westland originally raised the issue of curators not being paid I frankly could not believe that could be possible. There is real paranoia about councils wanting to kill off turf grounds etc. I don't know how much is fact and how much is fiction. But, if Country Week expects any ground to be prepared without compensation to the curator then the finger needs to be pointed directly at CV and by extension CA. I believe this is a CA issue. CA want their pathway so CA needs to pay the price, keep turf wickets, and keep them up to scratch. It's all well and good to spout about junior pathways, premier, super leagues and diamonds in the bush but you have to put your money where your mouth is. I would say that it is more important for CV to fund quality turf wickets than it is to rationalise the comps. How far would $500K go to keeping wickets up to scratch? Some turf clubs don't even have covers that protect the entire table, are we still in Bradman days? Maybe the comp rationalisation and standard of care of turf wickets are intertwined and both need to be done conjunctionally by aligning councils with comps but if you do one without the other then the underlying issue still exists.

Not sure I'm in total agreement here.
The reason subbies kept their dividend was votes from the country. We had two games and both days both teams stayed for a few drinks, we probably took over $300, which, whilst isn't a huge amount, is at least some compensation. Whilst it can be hard to get people to assist, a little work gets it done.

Really, if you can't prepare a pitch for 1 day of cricket, says alot about your club.
My info was that the Sunshine curator was preparing the wicket for next week, as originally fixtured and did not realise it had been pulled forward a week. If that is the case and the administration of the club cannot pass on elementary information, the club is in a serious amount of trouble.

Not sure I'm in total agreement here.
The reason subbies kept their dividend was votes from the country. We had two games and both days both teams stayed for a few drinks, we probably took over $300, which, whilst isn't a huge amount, is at least some compensation. Whilst it can be hard to get people to assist, a little work gets it done.

Really, if you can't prepare a pitch for 1 day of cricket, says alot about your club.
My info was that the Sunshine curator was preparing the wicket for next week, as originally fixtured and did not realise it had been pulled forward a week. If that is the case and the administration of the club cannot pass on elementary information, the club is in a serious amount of trouble.

A life member of the Sunshine C C has today confirmed your understanding of the lack of communication with the curator (who is in his first year with the club and is in full-time employment at a local golf course, hence, has limited time to offer to curating). I have never met him and am unaware of his prior curating experience. He was in attendance at the ground in the normal course of curating for the weekend when the teams arrived, so I assume they were then fully informed by him of the club having failed to tell him of the altered date to that originally fixtured (and that he had not been told the weekend match was on Sunday). I am also advised no-one from the club was in attendance to open up the facilities.
What I am on about is not the dividend, per se, it is that if umpires are being paid to officiate at Country Week, club-appointed curators should also be paid for their work. Sure, their duties are different, but umpires and club-appointed curators are both summer-season only activities and equally vital to the well-being of our game. Cricket authorities have always turned a blind eye to this fact. Club-appointed curators can no more afford to give up their day job than can umpires. Look after them or lose them!!

Back