2014/2015 Money Shield

You don't even need to get Minney out to win. He's happy to bat all day and lose as long as it boosts his average.
Maybe, but I wish we had a couple of Mark Minneys in our side. Better than the blokes who a happy to make 200 runs a season as long as they nail a couple of 6s along the way.

Everyone knows how he bats. Its up to the other guys to bat around him. If he bats all day and makes 110, no reason why 140 can't be scored from the other end (including extras). 250 wins you 95% of games, especially with Gibbsy taking wickets.

Interesting results on weekend. greensborough effectively ending there own season by handing Lalor Stars an outright! What were they thinking? 10 points from 3rd, now only 1 spot to play for but with Merndas kind draw that's seem highly unlikely! Bizarre captaincy I would've thought.

You're being very kind to Eltham. They haven't scored 200 this season. I think Monty knock them over.

We have now.

You don't even need to get Minney out to win. He's happy to bat all day and lose as long as it boosts his average.

I told him that for the benefit of the team to sacrifice his wicket. That, and the others all wanted to know what it felt like to easily get runs against Mont.

Interesting results on weekend. greensborough effectively ending there own season by handing Lalor Stars an outright! What were they thinking? 10 points from 3rd, now only 1 spot to play for but with Merndas kind draw that's seem highly unlikely! Bizarre captaincy I would've thought.

Dumb cricket, and even dumber leadership at Greensborough. Of all clubs in the valley, Lalor would be the last team that I would be leaving them 141 to win, off 35 overs. With 10 wickets in hand, I would imagine that most clubs in the comp would back themselves to get 4 an over. Even without looking at the ladder, It makes no sense whatsoever.

Dumb cricket, and even dumber leadership at Greensborough. Of all clubs in the valley, Lalor would be the last team that I would be leaving them 141 to win, off 35 overs. With 10 wickets in hand, I would imagine that most clubs in the comp would back themselves to get 4 an over. Even without looking at the ladder, It makes no sense whatsoever.
Stick a fork in G'borough, they're done. They've been close for a number of years now. This year they just haven't been able to beat the other contenders. With a young captain still learning his trade there's no reason they won't be contending for finals next season.

I agree that 141 from 35 isn't a target LS would be too concerned about. They've got a seriously dangerous middle order. But G'borough had to roll the dice, and needed enough overs to try to bowl them out. If you look at G'borough's run home they've got Mernda, Banyule and Monty. Given that they haven't beaten a team above them on the ladder, you can see why they had to risk it all for 6 points.

Stick a fork in G'borough, they're done. They've been close for a number of years now. This year they just haven't been able to beat the other contenders. With a young captain still learning his trade there's no reason they won't be contending for finals next season.

I agree that 141 from 35 isn't a target LS would be too concerned about. They've got a seriously dangerous middle order. But G'borough had to roll the dice, and needed enough overs to try to bowl them out. If you look at G'borough's run home they've got Mernda, Banyule and Monty. Given that they haven't beaten a team above them on the ladder, you can see why they had to risk it all for 6 points.

Can't help but disagree. Its not so much that they had to try for 6 points, but they needed to firstly make sure that if they couldn't get the 6 points, that they could save the 10 point loss.

They were on even points with Lalor. A loss would see them needing to catch up 1 game, with 3 to go. Now, they have fallen 2 games behind them.

I am all for going for the win. But the possibility of winning (was going to be slim) versus the worst case scenario (outright and fall too far behind), I would have thought there would be near on zero chance of an outright (based on how they were traveling on the scoreboard), and the ramifications of a an outright would be too harsh to even consider it.

Can't help but disagree. Its not so much that they had to try for 6 points, but they needed to firstly make sure that if they couldn't get the 6 points, that they could save the 10 point loss.

They were on even points with Lalor. A loss would see them needing to catch up 1 game, with 3 to go. Now, they have fallen 2 games behind them.

I am all for going for the win. But the possibility of winning (was going to be slim) versus the worst case scenario (outright and fall too far behind), I would have thought there would be near on zero chance of an outright (based on how they were traveling on the scoreboard), and the ramifications of a an outright would be too harsh to even consider it.

It was definitely the high risk play. They didn't make enough runs and Lalor stars are a difficult side to go out and smash around the park. They've given them a huge boost, and Stars on their day can make 300 runs against any bowling attack.

I guess my point is, with a tough run home the captain probably thought they needed 6 points this week, as they're likely to drop another game along the way (then again maybe he didn't). He was very generous with his declaration. And really, North Eltham is probably the only team you'd back yourself against to knock over in 35 overs.

It was definitely the high risk play. They didn't make enough runs and Lalor stars are a difficult side to go out and smash around the park. They've given them a huge boost, and Stars on their day can make 300 runs against any bowling attack.

I guess my point is, with a tough run home the captain probably thought they needed 6 points this week, as they're likely to drop another game along the way (then again maybe he didn't). He was very generous with his declaration. And really, North Eltham is probably the only team you'd back yourself against to knock over in 35 overs.

There's taking a risk, and then there's going out on a suicide mission. There is being generous, and being down right ridiculous.

I just can't see how on earth they thought it was a good idea in any way shape of form. It would've been a miracle.

On a brighter note, well done NEW on winning on the weekend over Lower Plenty, having a tough year down there, so may cheer a few people up this week!

- Eltham appear to have bounced back after a spirited effort from Lower Plenty, would have been quite interesting when skips was dismissed for 1.
- Greensy literally batting for their season this week, 200 is one of the tougher totals to chase down but if they are still genuine about playing finals it should be chased down, would think they are looking to amend last weeks debacle against LS.
- Lalor Stars in commanding position against the Bears, would justify Banyules ladder position if they were chase them down.
- Hberg bounced back after disaster against Bridges, an outright would make the battle of the top 4 even more tight/interesting.

Gonna be an interesting Saturday.

Just like that Greensy are done and dusted. Favourable draw for Eltham, LS and Mernda and unless an upset in one of them matches the final spot is up for grabs between the ex HDCA clubs.

Just like that Greensy are done and dusted. Favourable draw for Eltham, LS and Mernda and unless an upset in one of them matches the final spot is up for grabs between the ex HDCA clubs.

Both should win this week and they then play each other in round 11. Should be an interesting finish to the season.

Big last few rounds to go. Hberg must win the last 2 to get in, loss against Hurstbridge may come back to haunt them. Depending on what Greensy outfit turn up could play a major part in Banyules hopes of staying in the 4.
LS, Eltham and Mernda cruise control until the finals now. NEW to be relegated in both Barclay and Money?

Big last few rounds to go. Hberg must win the last 2 to get in, loss against Hurstbridge may come back to haunt them. Depending on what Greensy outfit turn up could play a major part in Banyules hopes of staying in the 4.
LS, Eltham and Mernda cruise control until the finals now. NEW to be relegated in both Barclay and Money?
Greensy outfit won't play part in Banyules season regardless. Even if Banyule lose to Greensy they just need to beat Heidelberg and they will go through on Percentage. It will all come down to last round between Banyule and Heidelberg (Unless Heidelberg lose this week).

Back