Physics In Batting

shahidpak

In the spin threads, we all always talk about science in bowling spin like the magnus effect.

Lately i was revising my GCSE physics like mad and came across forces, motion , acceleration.

So thats what i already knew and came across once a gain:

Kinetic energy = mass/2 x speed^2 (Energy 4 mouvement)

So that means that, for instance to hit a six, you dont need a heavy bat but you need to hit fast so fast bat mouvement, with obviously good timing. Same for throwing a punch.

One other thing i wanted to calculate was the force in Newtons required to hit a six i have a Formula in mind bit i dont know if its the one applicable.

Resultant Force = mass x acceleration
The acceleration bit is complicated for me as i would be able to give a velocity but i cant give an acceleration because in the contrary the ball decelerates. Maybe its not the correct Formula, or maybe its more complicated than that because you have to get a particular velocity ? :confused: Any suggestions ?

If you want the ball to go far you need energy which translates to kinetic energy onto the ball. As energy is transferable. energy = power/time. So you either give it lots of power(which is force*velocity) or do it over a small period of time(like do it quickly). Either of which increases energy(kinetic) onto the ball and so it goess further (in your case hopefully past the rope.)

Last edited:
You explained it exceptionally well in words Shahidpak but you failed to translate everything you said in the formula. In formulaic terms, you said:
F = m (vf - vi)/t ... can you see?
Now, kinetic energy= (1/2) x mass x velocity2 ... try not to describe a formula in terms of 'speed' ! :D

PS - To give you something to work with:

Adult cricket balls must have a mass between 0.1559 and 0.163 kg
Ball approaches at c 90 mph (40.2 m/s)
Contact time would be c 0.7 milliseconds (0.0007 s)
Post contact bat continuing at c 110 mph (49.1 m/s)

Remember:
You are not just increasing velocity of the ball but changing its direction!
Here on Earth, we never forget gravity!
We love Newton's 2nd Law! :D

Remember:

WOw are u a girl on a cricket forum? Who is also good at physics? what are the odds. :p

Remember:
Hmmmm ill Come back to that but we shouldnt forger that we have to hit a ball at a correct angle to mâle it go all the way...

Another lesson to be learned Shahidpak... you need to be specific! ;)

Now you are asking about ballistics... the parabolic path of an object passing through the air is just a question of simple maths equations. Now we are talking about both vertical and horizontal velocity [although both equally important are independent] and that comes back to the second point I asked you to remember! When the ball reaches the peak of trajectory gravity will slow vertical velocity to zero prior to acceleration in the downward direction. Now you just need to multiply the time the ball is in the air by its horizontal velocity.

I am not doing all this for you... what angle must you strike the ball for it to travel the furthest? Why?

When a bat hits a ball, consider two cases:
1) The batsman goes for a defense, and stonewalls it, to reduce its speed.
2) the batsman goes for a shot, e.g. a home run etc. in which case will the bat have the highest chance of breaking due to the impact? And am I right in assuming that the force on the bat due to the reaction force of the ball is the only thing that causes it to break?

Really interesting points AsmaNiaz.

1) You are quite right that stonewalling a ball will reduce speed... the idea is to absorb the energy internally and prevent elastic collision.
2) I have found that the main reason for a bat breaking is due to flaws; either in the wood, lack of care and condition, damage from previous use etc and the impact a catalyst. However, the batsman's physicality may contribute to breakage if the arm-to-bat/bat-to-ball weight ratio is poor... this will also affect the transference of energy... and therefore range!

A good answer shahidpak... and theoretically, you are right. If you ever play theoretical cricket you will score highly! :D

I am afraid it was a trick question [to some extent] but I had a reason for asking. The answer really depends on the conditions and when in the match you are batting. The angle would be different for a new ball as for an older one, so it would, depending on the speed and spin of the ball as well as air resistance and wind direction... not forgetting that wind speed is faster the higher the ball!

Back