Videos and Links

Derek Underwood footage has been something of a rarity on youtube but this has come up... some bowler. Lillee clean bowled at 1:55 and Intikhab at 4:43 really show what he could do with the ball...

Many apologies if David has posted this elsewhere but I thought it worth sharing... another great video from the guys at PitchVision:

The fixation with leg spin in this forum shocks me a little. Hey guys, I'm a left arm orthodox spinner with good accuracy and nice flight. What I need to work on is more pace on the ball and bowling above the batsman's eyeline consistently.

Are there any vids you guys could post to help out? I've already scoured the internet for most slow left arm vids. I'm running out of good material for guidance.

The fixation with leg spin in this forum shocks me a little. Hey guys, I'm a left arm orthodox spinner with good accuracy and nice flight. What I need to work on is more pace on the ball and bowling above the batsman's eyeline consistently.

Are there any vids you guys could post to help out? I've already scoured the internet for most slow left arm vids. I'm running out of good material for guidance.
Hello mate good to see an SLA, we did have one back a while but he's gone. The only person that jumps to mind is Vettori. I guess you've looked around on the net - found this, but sure you'd have seen it before http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/594358.html

Look who is here :p. In order to increase our pace, we must strengthen our leg muscles and shoulders. Generally cricketers do not have strong thighs and calves compared to other athletes. I went to the gym for about a month towards end of my last season and I felt my momentum and pace increasing. Don't forget that your run up plays an important part in your momentum as well. Strong shoulders compensate for your bad run up and vice versa. It is ideal to have have a good run up along with strong shoulders and legs but if one of them is really good it will compensate for the other one.

Herath doesn't have a good run up but he has strong shoulders
v6hhmo.jpg

Swann on the other hand doesn't have strong shoulders but he has a very good run up
23kt8jq.jpg

Afridi has all of them and probably that is why he can bowl 120 Km/h quicker deliveries
3178tid.jpg

Richie Benaud amazing footage

RIP Richie - more than anything else what a great gentleman, he showed
how to be humble and kind.

Would like to know what you guys think about his bowling. Looks
quick to me, unfortunately no view right behind the bowler.

Richie Benaud amazing footage

RIP Richie - more than anything else what a great gentleman, he showed
how to be humble and kind.

Would like to know what you guys think about his bowling. Looks
quick to me, unfortunately no view right behind the bowler.

from this O'Reilly interview: http://www.espncricinfo.com/wcm/content/story/67744.html
comes this:

In your first Test match, you would have seen Clarrie Grimmett take 14 wickets?
Yes, he was a great slow bowler, but slow is an adjective that covers a pretty vast field. He was much faster than these boys who are bowling now, like young Matthews. He was about the same speed as Benaud. Of course, they never regarded me as slow at all - I was medium slow. I ran 13 paces, Grimmett ran about four.

The 'Matthews' must have been Greg?

Maybe someone else will find this interesting too. The 'curveball' is baseball's topspin delivery. In baseball it is vertical movement that is prized as they are swinging a horizontal bat. So they love the drop of the curveball. Now what I think is pretty incredible is that the best curveball pitchers achieve similar RPMs on their 'topspinner' as our best spin bowlers. And if I am correct it is not from giving the ball a 'tweak' but something else.

Back