Walking Down Pitch

Hi guys,
I recently got coached by my club's First XI coach and he told me when I was batting that I have a habit of walking down the pitch when playing some of the straighter deliveries rather than locking down my back foot and playing hard on the front foot.

1. Does this cause any problem's and how.
2. Any excersises that can help to predominantly help this? (apart from just practice)

Thanks

Aside from the obvious stumping issue, walking has two main problems, being balanced when playing the shot and a related point of being able to judge the ball when you are on the move - neither are impossible when walking down, just that little bit harder. Try to work on moving less and just 'transferring weight' when playing shots and see how that feels, if you feel uncomfortable but hit a better percentage (due to your head being still) its probably worth spending a bit more time working on being balanced in your shots.

I had that problem once, and found that I was taking too short a step forward when playing front-foot shots. You don't need a massive stride but make sure your feet end up at least 1 and a half shoulder widths apart.

I've done this tonight purposefully and probably ended up batting better than I have ever done before. Seemed to work best against medium pacers, but overall it looked like it caused all the bowlers in my net some issues. The only bloke I didn't have any answers to, was the faster of the bowlers who was hitting the seam almost every ball and getting it to go away from the edge of the bat.

Jaques Kallis tonight talking about everyone else including Ireland, Bangladesh... "Blokes are not looking to survive they're looking to take the game to the bowler" in discussion with SKY sports talking about the fact that England are crap.

Back