The Lounge

But still, the meeting wasn't a total lost cause. As far as the on-track action is concerned, it was a mess. But off it? It was quite a good day.

In the year and a bit I've done this, you meet people, and have some idle chatter with them. Mainly about Motorkhana or other motorsports. But one guy in particular, who's a competitor for the outright trophy, I was told used to be the engine guy for Garry Rogers Motorsport. If you don't know, GRM is the team that run the Volvo's in V8 Supercar, but he was working long before that happened. "Really??? I had no idea!" So during the lunch break, I went up to him to confirm and tell some stories. It was unreal! I loved it! This guy has prepared engines that have won that Bathurst 1000 and two Bathurst 24 hours!

He was telling about the differences between the team owners, why some teams are successful, and why ones stay midpack and so forth. Talking about driver who had potential, and could've progressed to long, full time, professional careers. But they couldn't keep their mouth shut to the press.

Last edited:
Have been looking after my back neighbour's cats. They have got this really cute bengal kitten who I have named Joey. He comes up to me and purrs all the time. Back neighbours are away on holiday for a week. Beautiful cat. They desexed him so that he doesn't breed with others. He was playing with his twin up a tree this morning. So I called out to him and he got down from that tree quickly and came running to me.

One of my favourite drivers as a kid was Glenn Seton, who was a v8 champ in 93 an 97. My motorkhana man worked for him as well! So I asked for an opinion about him. He said in his own words, that Glenn had some chronic lack of belief in himself. He owned the team and deliberately hindered his team mates car, so that he'd definitely be the leading car. He'd give his team mate a 5-speed gearbox, while he'd have a 6-speed for instance. Detuning their engines and so forth. LOL! I never knew that!

It shows in 93 (I remember the season) that Glenn Seton's team had the best cars. His team mate, former F1 champ Alan Jones, got off to a flier and won a few races and was leading the series halfway through. But after that, Seton got on a roll and won many races, and then the series easily. While Jonsey lost all form and was lucky to hold onto 2nd for the series in the end. We now know what happened ;)

Mark Skaife? Drove for (Fred) Gibson Motorsport, before becoming uber successful and well known Austrlia wide with the Holden Racing Team. Skaife won 2 Bathursts with GM in 91-92 in a Nissan GTR, and 2 series. 92 in a GTR, and 94 in a Commodore. I personally thought the success in the Nissan was dodgy, since I didn't think the car should've been used. But didn't worry about the 94 victory. As it turns out, that win was dodgy as well! Garry Rogers bought cars off Fred Gibson. My motorkhana mate would check them out to make sure they bought what they were supposed to (They didn't). He said what he read off the engine mapping, you couldn't get unless you were trying a dodgy form of traction control. "They mightn't have done so. But they could've, if they wanted to."

edit: Skaifey and his dad did some dodgy stuff to their cars, which bought Mark's name in lights before becoming professional too. It helped him get professional contracts.

I know I've written heaps. But I'm more comfortable writing here, than on a motorsport forum.

Some interesting stories there, Brian. I always remember Bathurst 1995 when Seton's engine died while he was leading the race, think it was on lap 151. He would dominate other races, win championships but could never win Bathurst. He got close so many times but never won on the mountain. Given his reputation there were many people that wanted him to win (even Holden fans who hated Ford which was what Seton drove) but in the end he never did.

I'm a Holden man through and through. Can't say I feel too bad about it now haha. :p

As a Holden man, you don't mind Skaife's dirty wins? The days he was racing for HRT are highly suspicious as well. I felt ok that day at Bathurst. Carlton won the GF the day before...

As a Holden man, you don't mind Skaife's dirty wins? The days he was racing for HRT are highly suspicious as well. I felt ok that day at Bathurst. Carlton won the GF the day before...

1991 and 1992 was when they used "Godzilla" at the mountain. Not really Skaife's fault he was driving a car that was obviously too good for the rest of the field. 1994 I don't know much about so it's hard for me to comment, I know he was driving a Holden that day though.

Skaife was dominant when he was at HRT, had the best car and was the best driver out there, similar to the way Whincup is now with Red Bull Australia, best driver and best equipment. Most people would happily admit he was a fair way in front of the field, car and skills wise. I don't doubt Skaife for a second at all when he was with HRT.

Went back to uni yesterday and had a great day.
The weather though is getting colder. Had to put the heater on as it's all of a sudden become colder.

Having some ridiculous bad luck this year with my poultry this year, found out that some sort of tick has got into the flock, but the weird thing is I haven't introduced an actual new chicken that could potentially introduce any bugs into the flock for like years, so go god know where they came from :confused: Maybe of some how of a native bird hanging around or something.. Really strange.

Having some ridiculous bad luck this year with my poultry this year, found out that some sort of tick has got into the flock, but the weird thing is I haven't introduced an actual new chicken that could potentially introduce any bugs into the flock for like years, so go god know where they came from :confused: Maybe of some how of a native bird hanging around or something.. Really strange.
Paralysis Ticks can be nasty. You might want to move your poultry to a shed of some kind to stop these ticks from happening.

Other than cricket, I have engaged in a life of becoming a mechanical engineer. It is tough work as I am going for my PHD. Need help with what I should do once I get it
YOu think thats hard i work every day to feed my 5 year old son who calls me Poppa because i look so old after all the stress i have been through with my job as Council Worker. When telemarkers call and i say "hello" they hello mam because i sound like a women with a voice changer. Now thats what i call tough work!

YOu think thats hard i work every day to feed my 5 year old son who calls me Poppa because i look so old after all the stress i have been through with my job as Council Worker. When telemarkers call and i say "hello" they hello mam because i sound like a women with a voice changer. Now thats what i call tough work!
Thanks for the help

Other than cricket, I have engaged in a life of becoming a mechanical engineer. It is tough work as I am going for my PHD. Need help with what I should do once I get it
You could look at starting your own business or look around at workplaces that you want to work for in that industry.

IMGP2248.jpg

Back