Dvca - Finals 2014/2015

Tongs

Thought it might be a good idea to set up a thread for all things finals, match previews, tips, results and general talk.

Let's keep recruitment and player movements to the other threads.

Semi Final Preview

Plenty v Rosanna

Plenty have been on top of Barclay Shield ladder all year and will be keen to assert their authority against what I consider the weakest batting line up of the 4 finalists in Rosanna. Having averaged just under 150 per innings for the year, Rosanna will attempt to bat for the full 80 overs in order to post a target which they seem to be defendable. A lot will depend on the top order namely Sheehan, Nikolovski, Carlton, and the captain Almatrah ( who is leading Rosanna's batting averages at around 20 ), which tells me that their achilles heel is definately with the batting.

In saying that, Plenty have a seemingly endless amount of bowlers they can call on at any time to get wickets. Assuming Luke Rosbrook is now fully fit, they can also call upon Green, Cocking, Villani, Spinks, veteran Hubber, and it seems to go on forever.....

On the positive side for Rosanna is that they have a lot of talent within their bowling stocks with comp bowling medalist Shelton, and supported by Macaulay, Sheriff, John Raywood and possibly Mick Lewis ( not sure if available or qualified ) which is interesting in itself. If Rosanna can contain their primary bats in Green, Smith Johnson, Connelley , and Villani and keep Plenty to between 140-170, then its certainly game on, however if Plenty make any score over 170, then I think that the target will be too great a task for Rosanna to chase down on Sunday.

Of course, the other scenario is that Plenty could bowl first and blast Rosanna out of the water and the game could be over as early as tea on the second day.

Prediction - Plenty by 5 wickets, or Plenty by 90 runs.

Note - there is a hint that this could be John Raywood's final season of full time cricket. Well done on a career spanning almost 30 years with Rosanna. You've certainly improved from the time I used to spank you in front yard cricket as little fella's. All the best with whateva you do.

Macleod v Diamond Creek

Obviously my pick of the matches this weekend sees 2 very evenly matched sides in Macleod and Diamond Creek .

A strong second half to year ( 5 wins inc 2 outrights) have seen Macleod position itself to host regular semi finalists in Diamond Creek at home.
Macleod strengths appear to be their bowling having taken more wickets ( 132) than its nearest rival in Diamond Creek ( 121 ) for the season . Lead by the skipper in Tim Wise, he has many options in Burton ( leading wicket taker in Barclay), Dan O'Leary, veteran Glenn Rigg, off spinner Rob Wise, plus some variations with leg spinner Nac Sant if required.
Whilst batting has been suspect at times this year, it has stepped up a notch leading into finals with contributions from Lumsden and James in recent matches, as well as support from both Wise lads, and both imports in Johnson and Burton. What I think is the key to Macleod's success in this games could be with their top order getting starts. If James and Lumsden can see out the new ball, Macleod will go a long way to securing the win.

As easy as that sounds, Diamond Creek have plenty of depth in the bowling department. The opening duo of Hansen and Campitelli have certainly stepped up in the absence on Tolley and Campbell , and both have proven to take wickets at regular moments. If they can get on top early and expose Macleod's 3, 4, and 5 prior to drinks, then they will be in a good place.

The keys bats for Diamond Creek namely the captain Maclean, duly supported by Benney can set the tone for the day. The key for Macleod is to get the early wicket of Maclean . If that can be achieved, then Diamond Creek will be forced to grind out for the rest of the day to post a target that they think they can try and defend. If Maclean can bat for a long period, then Diamond Creek should be able to post a score of around 200 on the lush Macleod Park.

Given the evenness of these sides, this game should really have a lot of highs and lows, and the result should go very deep into Sunday.

Prediction - Macleod by 2 wickets, or Macleod by 20 runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Money Shield Preview:

Eltham v Banyule

It’s difficult to know what to expect from this game. On the surface, Eltham have been a very consistent side all season, winning outright in the last game to take the minor premiers tag, whereas Banyule started brilliantly, fell in a hole and ultimately scrapped into the finals with a round 11 victory. But a finals series can be a very funny game.

Banyule have had an up and down season, losing to sides they should beat, but knocking off strong sides (Including Mernda) and that makes them a dangerous side to come up against. What will they throw up this week?

Their batting hasn’t been their biggest weapon, but they’ve had a number of different batsmen who have raised the bat in an innings this season. If they can all click on the one day, it could provide a big total. But I suggest that If they can get either McMurray or Wilson to get passed 50, and get one of their other guys to support them, then they’ll post a target that their bowlers will believe they can defend.

Their bowlers on the other hand have been really strong, defending totals that many thought they couldn’t. Hannan, who will shoulder most of the workload and will hope to add to his 38 wickets, but will be aptly supported by Wilson and McMurray. The question needs to be asked: Can they take 10 wickets? If they do, we could be in for a good show.

Eltham, seem to be very even across the board with both bat and ball, not relying on too few. Yes, we know Minney and Gibbs are the ones to watch, but both this season have been supported brilliantly by Chrimes, O’Connor, Luckman, with the bat. And Wilson and Donaldson with the ball.

Prediction: Eltham to win by 5 Wickets or 80 runs.

Lalor v Mernda
In what looks to be an absolute corker of a game, this game could very much produce the best game of the week (In all grades) and the premiership favourite for Money Shield. Both sides are riddled with stars who are capable of winning the game themselves.

Can the very strong Mernda batting line up that boasts four players with over 250 season runs, handle the likes of Amos (40 wickets), Scott (39) and Higgins (30) and Worthington (16)? Its likely to come down to a battle of mental strength, who is more patient, as on paper, the battle looks even.

Mernda’s batting can drop away slightly, whereas concerning for Lalor, they have only used 5 bowlers since round 2. But lets be honest, they haven’t needed any support with that attack.

On the flip side, Lalor’s batting looks almost stronger than their bowling (is that possible?). With the likes of Kemp, Worthington, Drummond, Volpe, Toppi, Amos the list goes on and on, you can see them posting a big score, especially on their own ground that they play well. This time last year, they posted over 200 in the Semi final. If they do that again, I see them getting the ‘W’.

In saying all that, you can never write off any side that has the name P. Baker in it. We all know what he has done to sides for about 20+ years, and he doesn’t look like slowing up. 37 Wickets @ 10 would suggest that he’s as brutal as ever (Just remember - Outie Outie Innie, or the Innie first nut). But Baker is going to need some support from Williams, Hatcher and Stewart.

With both sides in blistering form of late, I see this clash coming down to who bats deeper, and with Amos coming in at an astounding 9, with 260 runs @ 32.50, I see Lalor as being too strong for Mernda.

Prediction: Lalor to be too strong. Lalor to win by 40 runs, or 3 wickets. But expect some fire works, as both sides will go down swinging.

Semi Final Preview

Plenty v Rosanna

Plenty have been on top of Barclay Shield ladder all year and will be keen to assert their authority against what I consider the weakest batting line up of the 4 finalists in Rosanna. Having averaged just under 150 per innings for the year, Rosanna will attempt to bat for the full 80 overs in order to post a target which they seem to be defendable. A lot will depend on the top order namely Sheehan, Nikolovski, Carlton, and the captain Almatrah ( who is leading Rosanna's batting averages at around 20 ), which tells me that their achilles heel is definately with the batting.

In saying that, Plenty have a seemingly endless amount of bowlers they can call on at any time to get wickets. Assuming Luke Rosbrook is now fully fit, they can also call upon Green, Cocking, Villani, Spinks, veteran Hubber, and it seems to go on forever.....

On the positive side for Rosanna is that they have a lot of talent within their bowling stocks with comp bowling medalist Shelton, and supported by Macaulay, Sheriff, John Raywood and possibly Mick Lewis ( not sure if available or qualified ) which is interesting in itself. If Rosanna can contain their primary bats in Green, Smith Johnson, Connelley , and Villani and keep Plenty to between 140-170, then its certainly game on, however if Plenty make any score over 170, then I think that the target will be too great a task for Rosanna to chase down on Sunday.

Of course, the other scenario is that Plenty could bowl first and blast Rosanna out of the water and the game could be over as early as tea on the second day.

Prediction - Plenty by 5 wickets, or Plenty by 90 runs.

Note - there is a hint that this could be John Raywood's final season of full time cricket. Well done on a career spanning almost 30 years with Rosanna. You've certainly improved from the time I used to spank you in front yard cricket as little fella's. All the best with whateva you do.

Macleod v Diamond Creek

Obviously my pick of the matches this weekend sees 2 very evenly matched sides in Macleod and Diamond Creek .

A strong second half to year ( 5 wins inc 2 outrights) have seen Macleod position itself to host regular semi finalists in Diamond Creek at home.
Macleod strengths appear to be their bowling having taken more wickets ( 132) than its nearest rival in Diamond Creek ( 121 ) for the season . Lead by the skipper in Tim Wise, he has many options in Burton ( leading wicket taker in Barclay), Dan O'Leary, veteran Glenn Rigg, off spinner Rob Wise, plus some variations with leg spinner Nac Sant if required.
Whilst batting has been suspect at times this year, it has stepped up a notch leading into finals with contributions from Lumsden and James in recent matches, as well as support from both Wise lads, and both imports in Johnson and Burton. What I think is the key to Macleod's success in this games could be with their top order getting starts. If James and Lumsden can see out the new ball, Macleod will go a long way to securing the win.

As easy as that sounds, Diamond Creek have plenty of depth in the bowling department. The opening duo of Hansen and Campitelli have certainly stepped up in the absence on Tolley and Campbell , and both have proven to take wickets at regular moments. If they can get on top early and expose Macleod's 3, 4, and 5 prior to drinks, then they will be in a good place.

The keys bats for Diamond Creek namely the captain Maclean, duly supported by Benney can set the tone for the day. The key for Macleod is to get the early wicket of Maclean . If that can be achieved, then Diamond Creek will be forced to grind out for the rest of the day to post a target that they think they can try and defend. If Maclean can bat for a long period, then Diamond Creek should be able to post a score of around 200 on the lush Macleod Park.

Given the evenness of these sides, this game should really have a lot of highs and lows, and the result should go very deep into Sunday.

Prediction - Macleod by 2 wickets, or Macleod by 20 runs.

Nice review Serge, You a selector down macleod? you've given away the team....includes a bloke who's taken 3 wickets for the season!!
Your 2's are purring along nicely, surely there is a change coming.

Whats the deal with Lewis? is he qualified or not?

Plenty to get the job done, too much experience

Macleod wouldnt want to mess this one up, should win

Nice review Serge, You a selector down macleod? you've given away the team....includes a bloke who's taken 3 wickets for the season!!
Your 2's are purring along nicely, surely there is a change coming.

Whats the deal with Lewis? is he qualified or not?

Plenty to get the job done, too much experience

Macleod wouldnt want to mess this one up, should win

Not sure how its going to work, but if you look at MyCricket, it states that Mick Lewis has only played 2 games and therefore not qualified. But there was the issue earlier with him named in the One Day comp earlier in the season, even though he was never going to play. So will that count as a game or not?

Not sure how its going to work, but if you look at MyCricket, it states that Mick Lewis has only played 2 games and therefore not qualified. But there was the issue earlier with him named in the One Day comp earlier in the season, even though he was never going to play. So will that count as a game or not?

He has played 2 games in Barclay ( both outright wins coincidently) and was named in a walkover in H Grade back in Round 9 i think. Not sure of the qualification rule to be honest.

Harry, don't think the team will change to be honest unless an injury occurs tonight touch wood. Wouldn't think any finals side will pull any surprises.

He has played 2 games in Barclay ( both outright wins coincidently) and was named in a walkover in H Grade back in Round 9 i think. Not sure of the qualification rule to be honest.

Harry, don't think the team will change to be honest unless an injury occurs tonight touch wood. Wouldn't think any finals side will pull any surprises.

touch wood....i see the hidden message there.

disgrace if lewis is allowed to play.

this comp needs to sort itself out with some basic decency and common sense rules.

touch wood....i see the hidden message there.

disgrace if lewis is allowed to play.

this comp needs to sort itself out with some basic decency and common sense rules.

Rosanna will not be asking permission, if he has qualified under the rules then he plays.

Did Rosanna take advantage of the walkover. Damn straight. So would every other club. Is it right, yes, because they are the rules.

Is it decent, except for the player who misses out, totally.

Rosanna will not be asking permission, if he has qualified under the rules then he plays.

Did Rosanna take advantage of the walkover. Damn straight. So would every other club. Is it right, yes, because they are the rules.

I'm actually not sure of the qualification rule, however assuming it is 3 games, then he can play.
Pretty sure he is on domestic duties with the Vic squad in Glenelg as we speak ( Shield game started today ) so may not be available in any case

Take advantage or exploit? Had the game not been a walkover, would Lewis of played that game?

For their sake I hope he plays, they'll probably be defending around 80 odd if they bat first

Plenty are yet to put their team up.
Rosanna's side is in and there are some very surprisng selections....
No, M.Lewis. If they pull off a miracle win and get through, will he play the Grand Final?
Interesting to see that their keeper Almatrah, who has played every game has not been selected. And replaced by the 2s keeper who hasn't played a 1s game this year. Dunbar selected after not playing anywhere since round 8.

Macleod going with the same side as last week, and Diamond Creek have named a 13 man squad.

Plenty are yet to put their team up.
Rosanna's side is in and there are some very surprisng selections....
No, M.Lewis. If they pull off a miracle win and get through, will he play the Grand Final?
Interesting to see that their keeper Almatrah, who has played every game has not been selected. And replaced by the 2s keeper who hasn't played a 1s game this year. Dunbar selected after not playing anywhere since round 8.

Macleod going with the same side as last week, and Diamond Creek have named a 13 man squad.

Almatrah broke a finger against Lower Eltham I believe, hence the reason why they declared 9 down in the first innings.
Probably why he is not playing

Almatrah broke a finger against Lower Eltham I believe, hence the reason why they declared 9 down in the first innings.
Probably why he is not playing

May have also declared 9 down as they had already gone past the massive total of 40 odd they were chasing................................

Plenty's side is up on mycricket now Tongs.

Very interesting, they've gone with a long tail and plenty of bowling depth. Gives Rosanna a sniff in my opinion, especially if they can take some early wickets.

TIPS:

Plenty to be too good for Rosanna. Don't like the length of the tail in Plenty's batting though...........................

Macleod to have too much depth for Creek. Both sides have some stars, but Macleod go that bit deeper and this is why they should progress, especially at home, may have been a different story on the minefield at Creek.

Good luck to all.

See you at Eltham next week.

Very good day to bowl, with semi final pressure. But you're right, I haven't heard a big score across any grade yet.
Whittlesea's 200 odd in b grade looking like the only good score across the grades.

A lot of teams that set low totals seem to have gone the right way about defending them with early wickets. Should be some tight finishes.

The all weather pitches are sensational. Can't believe they haven't started playing international matches on it.

75 will probably win both games next week.

Back