Subbies Thread

I think the clubbers and Hoppers would meet spirited competition in the West league given they would play the following subbies clubs--Altona, Melton, Werribee, Willy and Y'ville. I am very unhappy, though, that the clubbers and Y'ville are in the same league. They are too close for comfort!!

Your club was in Senior Division for all of 1 year?

I have the recent experience of curating at both a Senior Div VTCA club and a VSDCA club (having no connection with either). The Senior Div players at the VTCA club did not consider they were playing in a lesser standard of cricket than the subbies. It is understandable both Senior Div clubs and Subbies clubs are concerned the CV league to which they have been allocated will not provide a competition commensurate to that they presently have. Whether the subbies firsts or the Senior Div VTCA is better is immaterial given the structure of the CV model. I expect the strong clubs in both comps will prefer staying where they are, but in the VTCA many clubs participate below Senior Div. They may have a different outlook, making it much harder to predict at this early stage where they stand. If you are in a position to advise us on the CV meetings with VTCA clubs Scratch has told us will take place in the North, I would appreciate a post in due course.

"The Senior Div players at the VTCA club did not consider they were playing in a lesser standard of cricket than the subbies. It is understandable both Senior Div clubs and Subbies clubs are concerned the CV league to which they have been allocated will not provide a competition commensurate to that they presently have. Whether the subbies firsts or the Senior Div VTCA is better is immaterial given the structure of the CV model. I expect the strong clubs in both comps will prefer staying where they are, but in the VTCA many clubs participate below Senior Div."

Looking at the proposed Regional Zones whereby an average of 38 clubs with an average number of total teams competing will be 114 in a promotion and relegation environment- I'm pretty confident any standard of play should be assured as comparable to the VTCA Senior or Subbies standard. The issue for mine will be the alignment of Cricket Victoria resources and funding in those regional levels, to improve the overall standard of administration and cricket played below Premier level.

I note from MyCricket that last year's Senior Div runner-up, South Caulfield, fields 4 VTCA teams on 2 ovals, Princes Park's 1 & 4. Can anyone with local knowledge advise if this club can comply with the subbies 2 turf ground model? It has had a stormy relationship with the VTCA Executive of late and not helped by the so-called neutral ground for last season's 4 day final v Y'ville Club being Crofts Reserve, Altona Nth, despite finishing higher on the ladder than the clubbers. Perhaps the subbies have already sounded them out.

I note from MyCricket that last year's Senior Div runner-up, South Caulfield, fields 4 VTCA teams on 2 ovals, Princes Park's 1 & 4. Can anyone with local knowledge advise if this club can comply with the subbies 2 turf ground model? It has had a stormy relationship with the VTCA Executive of late and not helped by the so-called neutral ground for last season's 4 day final v Y'ville Club being Crofts Reserve, Altona Nth, despite finishing higher on the ladder than the clubbers. Perhaps the subbies have already sounded them out.

I would expect they can, big complex at Princes Park. Only slight hassle is it is very close to EE Gunn and not far away from Caulfield and Elsternwick. That being said, I am sure they would be very welcome.

Hoppers Crossing are not against a subbies move, just recently spoke with one of their officials and they said they had been in discussions with subbies throughout the year and now that they are no longer in the hunt for premier cricket they are strongly considering it.

It's one of the issues in the VTCA at the minute. Not so much the top divisions, but the real lack of depth at the bottom levels. The bigger clubs (like South Caulfield, Hampton, McKinnon etc) don’t have enough grades to play all of the teams they want to put out on the park. It is one of the reasons the CV model is such an attractive alternative to the VTCA – the depth across the competition, not just the standard of the higher level. I've got about 60 players at my club who really couldn’t care less whether the CV remodelling means that the standard of cricket played at the highest level in the region goes up, down or stays the same. They just want to be sure they have a game of cricket each weekend. Something that can't be guaranteed at the minute

Hoppers Crossing are not against a subbies move, just recently spoke with one of their officials and they said they had been in discussions with subbies throughout the year and now that they are no longer in the hunt for premier cricket they are strongly considering it.
Pointless considering the restructure will happen the season after. And it will happen. CV job is to govern cricket in this state in the best interests of everyone.

Pointless considering the restructure will happen the season after. And it will happen. CV job is to govern cricket in this state in the best interests of everyone.

There are actually a lot of points why the Subbies vacancy is important. For a start, if no-one replaces PV then there would be a bye, hardly ideal. Also, if someone does come in, why? There are other points, agree the timing isn't ideal for comp or clubs but it is an early guide as to the appetite for the CV model. I am sure CV would like to be able to legislate the change but they don't "govern" this section of Melbourne cricket, which is why they are going out to try and sell the merit of the concept.

One wonders whether VTCA pres, Steve McNamara, is aware of the comments given by a Hoppers official to YWL. It is inconceivable he would be involved in double dealing, on the one hand being the VTCA's respondent to the CV's Task Force as reported at length in the Dec 2014 edition of Leading Edge whilst, at the same time, being aware Hoppers is in discussion with the subbies.

Looks as though the top 6 is just about settled in the NW after the weekends results. Definitely look different to what many would have predicted at the beginning of the season, myself included.

Here were mine, 5/6. Though I had Yarraville second last, way off with that:

North / West

Werribee
Melton
Plenty Valley
Balwyn
Altona
RPB
Ivanhoe
Preston
Sunshine
Yarraville
Coburg

Looks as though the top 6 is just about settled in the NW after the weekends results. Definitely look different to what many would have predicted at the beginning of the season, myself included. Will be interesting to see how it shapes up if Werribee lose though.
Seriously surprised that Ivanhoe and especially Willy didn't get up - really thought keeping their season alive would have got them over the line. Y Young Willi Lad read you guys were 9-25 at one stage, anything wrong with the wicket?

Nothing wrong with the wicket our batting just wasn't good enough as has been the case for the whole season.

south east last round could have major changes with Caulfield playing Malvern. Apparently Malvern gun batsman/wicket keeper edged the winning runs at 9 down down to 3rd man

Round 13 Predictions:

North / West:

Plenty Valley v Williamstown
Balwyn v Melton
Ivanhoe v Preston
Altona v Brunswick
RPB v Sunshine
Coburg v Werribee
Yarraville
v Kew

South / East:

Oakleigh v Elsternwick
Bayswater v Ormond
Box Hill v Croydon
Brighton v Noble Park
Malvern v Caulfield
Endeavour Hills
v Kingston Saints
Moorabbin v Mt Waverley

Massive final round in both groups, particulary in the South / East.

In the North / West, the battle for sixth position is still live, with Werribee needing to win against Coburg to secure sixth spot. I'm tipping them to win and Balwyn to upset Melton, with Werribee to still hold sixth position.

In the South / East, teams 7, 8 and even Mt Waverley at number 9 on the ladder, have a chance to make finals which makes this round very high stakes. I am tipping Malvern to lose to Caulfield which will see Endeavour Hills sneak in based on my tips.

Further to this, double chances and home finals positions are up for grabs to add to the interest.

Round 13 Predictions:

North / West:

Plenty Valley v Williamstown
Balwyn v Melton
Ivanhoe v Preston
Altona v Brunswick
RPB v Sunshine
Coburg v Werribee
Yarraville
v Kew

South / East:

Oakleigh v Elsternwick
Bayswater v Ormond
Box Hill v Croydon
Brighton v Noble Park
Malvern v Caulfield
Endeavour Hills
v Kingston Saints
Moorabbin v Mt Waverley

Massive final round in both groups, particulary in the South / East.

In the North / West, the battle for sixth position is still live, with Werribee needing to win against Coburg to secure sixth spot. I'm tipping them to win and Balwyn to upset Melton, with Werribee to still hold sixth position.

In the South / East, teams 7, 8 and even Mt Waverley at number 9 on the ladder, have a chance to make finals which makes this round very high stakes. I am tipping Malvern to lose to Caulfield which will see Endeavour Hills sneak in based on my tips.

Further to this, double chances and home finals positions are up for grabs to add to the interest.

Oakleigh and Caulfield miles above the Ormond, NP, EH and Malvern in south east.

Article from the weekends games suggesting caulfield have a 16 year old leg spinner Grunman-perera and took 1-20. Looking at his stats he seems to handle himself pretty well. When we played the fielders early in the season he didn't play. Will he play in a finals side when they are at full strength with Dorey?

I can't see either Oakleigh or caulfield missing the GF but finals are a differnt kettle of fish.

In the north/west - you can't really go past Melton. They are proven finals performers and im backing them in again this year.

Back