Elimination Stages World Cup (quarter Finals, Semi Finals And Finals)

Who do you think will win the world cup?

• South Africa

• Sri Lanka

• Bangladesh

• India

• Australia

• Pakistan

• New Zealand

• West Indies

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well done Aussie's great win. Controlled the game all the way. NZ should be proud they just didn't quite get it to happen with Stark really the big difference

Well done Australia. Everything about that performance was class, except maybe Finch. :p

So proud of the Blackcaps! Didn't play well tonight but they have thrilled and inspired me all tournament and I couldn't have dreamed of a better World Cup before it had started!

#BacktheBlackcaps

ICC 2015 Cricket World Cup Final - Australia vs New Zealand at Melbourne Cricket Ground (D/N)

New Zealand 183 (45 overs)

Grant Elliott 83 (82)
Ross Taylor 40 (72)

Mitchell Johnson 3/30 (9)
James Faulkner 3/36 (9)
Mitchell Starc 2/20 (8)

Australia 3/186 (33.1 overs)

Michael Clarke 74 (72)
Steven Smith 56* (71)
David Warner 45 (46)

Matt Henry 2/45 (9.1)

Result: Australia won by seven wickets with 101 balls remaining
Series: Australia won the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup
Player of the Match: James Faulkner (Australia)
Player of the Series: Mitchell Starc (Australia)

A fantastic win, can't say enough about how good Australia was today. Right from ball one they were on it and aside from the partnership between Taylor and Elliott they were in control for the vast majority of the game. That was a superb win and it was awesome to see my side win another World Cup, especially on home soil. That's five World Cup victories now, Australia are the undisputed kings of 50-over cricket. :thumbsu:

Well done to New Zealand too, they played some great cricket throughout the tournament and knocked over some pretty good teams to make it through to the final for the very first time. Despite the result the players, supporters and staff can be proud of what they have achieved in the last six weeks or so and hopefully they can stay at that level for many years to come. :thumbsu:

Well that was a draining day. A bit of anti-climax. But good to say I was present at the final. But the presentation was taking so long to set up, and I was so tired, I gave it a miss. So this is my bit off the top of my head.

Did you guys notice the streaker before the start of the game? If not, I've got photos of it!

Even as Australia was about to win the game. The Aussies in the crowd where I was were calling Watson a ************!

Jesus Christ Guptill! That's a bad miss

I have a nice photo of Haddin giving it to Elliot after the referral. It was funny.

Dharmasena must be a troll for initially giving that out.

Much is made of the McCullum wicket. It's probably symbolic. But after the big Elliot/Taylor partnership, the wickets of Anderson and Ronchi is where I felt NZ were stuffed. They gave nothing, when they were capable of 40-60 between them. That could've made a difference.

Did Smith get bowled, but the bail didn't come off?

I don't know if Southee takes his time to get back to his mark all the time. But he was moping along even in the first over. I expected to see some intensity there. But nothing

It's like cricket only exists for Australia to puff their chest.

And so why is big Cricket not on your mobile so you can give live updates with photos?? :)
Going to be great game, good omen the Broncos are doing the warriors in a tough game.
I have an ancient phone :oops:

As much as i hate it the home ground advantage determines who wins. If the final was in NZ, NZ woulda won. If it was in India, India would have won, same for South Africa....oh wait they woulda choked lol. No but seriously i dont understand it, but home ground advantage is massive. But well done to australia anyway for taking full advantage of the conditions. Been a great summer for australia, first the asian cup and now this.

As much as i hate it the home ground advantage determines who wins. If the final was in NZ, NZ woulda won. If it was in India, India would have won, same for South Africa....oh wait they woulda choked lol. No but seriously i dont understand it, but home ground advantage is massive. But well done to australia anyway for taking full advantage of the conditions. Been a great summer for australia, first the asian cup and now this.
If you want a good series it has to be played somewhere where cricket is going to draw a crowd. This means someone will always have the home advantage. You do realise that the last two cups are the only ones that have gone to the home team. The first three were played in the UK with West Indies winning the first two and India the third. It was then held in India and Australia won. From there Australia and Pakistan won then Pakistan and Sri Lanka won and so on. Australia would have won at Eden Park. Not so convincingly but they would have won. They have far too much fire power with the ball and bat far too deep. SA were the only real threat and they did their usual in the semi's.

I have a nice photo of Haddin giving it to Elliot after the referral. It was funny.
Much is made of the McCullum wicket. It's probably symbolic. But after the big Elliot/Taylor partnership, the wickets of Anderson and Ronchi is where I felt NZ were stuffed. They gave nothing, when they were capable of 40-60 between them. That could've made a difference. :oops:

Glad you have fun while us poor folk watched from TV land. McCullum's wicket was never the most critical in the NZ team but the way it set the tone for the innings was. It was very noticeable that NZ never looked good. Even when Taylor and Elliott were moving along it never felt like this was a springboard to something good just a face save.

I see much is being made about Australia and sledging again. My god i love this rubbish makes me want to sledge like the good old days. Sledging has always, for as long as i have played and watched the game, been part of the game. I have written before about the way England and particularly Botham could sledge. And really NZ, You were no angels back in the eighties with Haddle and Cairnes were not too bad at the sledge either. The West Indies of the 80's & 90's were dam fine sledges too. Everyone seems to forget very quickly when they are on the receiving end and some times it goes astray like the comments on Glenn McGrath's wife or the Indian's calling Symonds a monkey then getting all self righteous about it. it is not always pretty but it is part of the game.

That is a ridiculous statement! How do you explain Australia winning the WC across five different continents then??

Sure, home advantage does help but it's cricket. Anything can happen.

On our day, we could have beaten Australia at the MCG but we peaked against South Africa and Australia bowled and fielded like demons!

Glad you have fun while us poor folk watched from TV land. McCullum's wicket was never the most critical in the NZ team but the way it set the tone for the innings was. It was very noticeable that NZ never looked good. Even when Taylor and Elliott were moving along it never felt like this was a springboard to something good just a face save.

I see much is being made about Australia and sledging again. My god i love this rubbish makes me want to sledge like the good old days. Sledging has always, for as long as i have played and watched the game, been part of the game. I have written before about the way England and particularly Botham could sledge. And really NZ, You were no angels back in the eighties with Haddle and Cairnes were not too bad at the sledge either. The West Indies of the 80's & 90's were dam fine sledges too. Everyone seems to forget very quickly when they are on the receiving end and some times it goes astray like the comments on Glenn McGrath's wife or the Indian's calling Symonds a monkey then getting all self righteous about it. it is not always pretty but it is part of the game.
Hadlee was a sledger? Do you have some quotes?

The likes of L Cairns, J Bracewell and Greatbatch definitely but Hadlee?

That is a ridiculous statement! How do you explain Australia winning the WC across five different continents then??

Sure, home advantage does help but it's cricket. Anything can happen.

On our day, we could have beaten Australia at the MCG but we peaked against South Africa and Australia bowled and fielded like demons!

OK back then australia were by far the best team in the world with the like of mcgrath, ponting, warne etc. I am talking at this current moment - 2015. At the moment there is no 'best' team in the world at the moment as most teams are even and often the conditions and home ground advantage play a major part in deciding the result.

After much pondering. Here's my team of the tournament: (varies a bit from the official one)

Dhawan
Guptill (just edges out McCullum and Warner)
S Smith
Sangakara
AB de Villiers C
Dhoni W/K
Maxwell
Vettori (just edges out Ashwin)
Boult
Starc
Shami

Other unlucky players:
Morkel
Riaz
Elliot
And those I already mentioned.

Thoughts?

Morkel is not unlucky. He is a banana.

Aside from pinning it at the stumps, is Maxwell actually that good at cricket? I wouldn't mind facing him in Diamond Valley cricket. Although, I wouldn't want him to face me! :oops::D

What makes you pick Vettori over Ashwin?

Without thinking about it too hard. I suppose you're spot on.

So while I'm here futureblackcap futureblackcap . How would Grant Elliott's status amongst NZ cricket fans now be?

Guys like McCullum, Vettori, Taylor are going to be legends, no matter what. But Elliott? Fringe player, journeyman. An insignificant Test career. A secondary odi player. But now, he carried NZ to it's biggest win in odi, maybe the NZ cricket history? And was their best player in the final.

Personally, I thought he was the best player in the match. But I have an aversion to giving a motm to someone from the losing team in any sport, so I'm not annoyed at him not getting it.

Well that was a draining day. A bit of anti-climax. But good to say I was present at the final. But the presentation was taking so long to set up, and I was so tired, I gave it a miss. So this is my bit off the top of my head.

Did you guys notice the streaker before the start of the game? If not, I've got photos of it!

Even as Australia was about to win the game. The Aussies in the crowd where I was were calling Watson a ************!

Jesus Christ Guptill! That's a bad miss

Dharmasena must be a troll for initially giving that out.

Much is made of the McCullum wicket. It's probably symbolic. But after the big Elliot/Taylor partnership, the wickets of Anderson and Ronchi is where I felt NZ were stuffed. They gave nothing, when they were capable of 40-60 between them. That could've made a difference.

Did Smith get bowled, but the bail didn't come off?

I don't know if Southee takes his time to get back to his mark all the time. But he was moping along even in the first over. I expected to see some intensity there. But nothing

It's like cricket only exists for Australia to puff their chest.

I have an ancient phone :oops:

Looking forward to the photos Brian!

Didn't see any streaker to be honest. I initially had the TV on the Channel 9 telecast and they had Ian Healy and some female host on right until a couple of minutes before the game began so there wasn't any chance to see a streaker. I quickly turned it onto the TV onto one of the Foxtel channels right away though to watch the game through there.

McCullum's dismissal was disappointing. I understand that's the way he plays but really there was no need to do that in the first over, they've got 50 overs to bat! No need to start swinging from the opening over.

The ball rolled back onto Smith's stumps but the ball rolled so slowly that the impact on the stumps was insignificant that the bails didn't even budge. I even think that the ball would have struggled to dislodge the bails if the same thing happened on a synthetic deck.

Official ICC 2015 World Cup Team of the Tournament

1. Martin Guptill (New Zealand)
2. Brendon McCullum (New Zealand, captain)
3. Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka, wk)
4. Steven Smith (Australia)
5. AB de Villiers (South Africa)
6. Glenn Maxwell (Australia)
7. Corey Anderson (New Zealand)
8. Daniel Vettori (New Zealand)
9. Mitchell Starc (Australia)
10. Trent Boult (New Zealand)
11. Morne Morkel (South Africa)
12. Brendan Taylor (Zimbabwe, 12th man)

Back