Subbies Thread

Two terrific grand finals.

RPB probably about 50 runs short against Plenty Valley, a total of 160 would have had them with a really good chance of winning.

Still Plenty Valley passing the score at 7 down showed the closeness of the contest.

Ormond batted very well to put up 248 in a grand final. Chasing was always going to be challenging and Oakleigh did a really good job with their top order. However, Ormond delivered in the final hour and won a thriller. What a finish to the game.

Two close grand finals was a great advertisement for subbies cricket.

RPB probably about 50 runs short against Plenty Valley, a total of 160 would have had them with a really good chance of winning.

Still Plenty Valley passing the score at 7 down showed the closeness of the contest.

Ormond batted very well to put up 248 in a grand final. Chasing was always going to be challenging and Oakleigh did a really good job with their top order. However, Ormond delivered in the final hour and won a thriller. What a finish to the game.

Great matches indeed although it has to be said Oakleigh will be rueing what could have been, Ormond are not a great batting side and Oakleigh have been hit for the highest total anyone scored against them all year.

Pitch was hardly concrete out there. By all reports, horrid.

"By all reports, horrid."????

What reports are these???

The VSDCA Umpires who afforded the Lakeside wicket Ratings of 9 and 10 on day 1 and day 2 of the Grand Final respectively?? Or, rather, hearsay, innuendo and rumour?

As the VSDCA fights the good fight to ensure the ongoing go-forward relevance of the Association within the cricket community, the irresponsible and uninformed commentary of some within public forums is astounding. Furthermore, if a Committee Member of a VSDCA Affiliate club, it wouldn't be unreasonable that your fellow VSDCA community expects better from you.

Super Saint, how would you feel if I (or other individuals within an official VSDCA capacity) was to run the Kingston Saints down in a public forum??

All said, with regards to the Lakeside wicket for the Grand Final just gone, perhaps deal in the fact that the wicket received ratings of 9 and 10 from the officials assigned to the game..

I also saw previous commentary from Westland that a mysterious Yarraville 1st XI player had taken pictures of the Lakeside wicket on Friday and it appeared to be a raging green seamer - this, surely, giving explanation as to how 17 of the 18 wickets to fall in the game fell to spin.

At this critical juncture from our Association and turf cricket, as a whole, within metropolitan Melbourne - perhaps we should use public forums to talk of the good our clubs do, their achievements and all that our Association has to offer.

For the RPBCC Falcons, perhaps it would have been better to talk too their immediate past history (the last 6 years); being relocated by one Council, 3 home grounds in the past 6 seasons, 1 season playing away from home exclusively, a merge 3 years ago, 2nd last on the ladder 2 years ago and, NOW, a top of the table finish and home Grand Final with a team that has an average age of less than 22. Successes of the RPBCC Falcons this Season should be a beacon to other clubs that with the right people, a structured non-negotiable strategic framework and hardwork - that anything is possible and that money is not always the answer to on-field success. I would have though public commentary to this effect would have been more appropriate than random throwaway lines of; "by all reports, horrid."

The VSDCA Umpires who afforded the Lakeside wicket Ratings of 9 and 10 on day 1 and day 2 of the Grand Final respectively?? Or, rather, hearsay, innuendo and rumour?

As the VSDCA fights the good fight to ensure the ongoing go-forward relevance of the Association within the cricket community, the irresponsible and uninformed commentary of some within public forums is astounding. Furthermore, if a Committee Member of a VSDCA Affiliate club, it wouldn't be unreasonable that your fellow VSDCA community expects better from you.

Super Saint, how would you feel if I (or other individuals within an official VSDCA capacity) was to run the Kingston Saints down in a public forum??

All said, with regards to the Lakeside wicket for the Grand Final just gone, perhaps deal in the fact that the wicket received ratings of 9 and 10 from the officials assigned to the game..

I also saw previous commentary from Westland that a mysterious Yarraville 1st XI player had taken pictures of the Lakeside wicket on Friday and it appeared to be a raging green seamer - this, surely, giving explanation as to how 17 of the 18 wickets to fall in the game fell to spin.

At this critical juncture from our Association and turf cricket, as a whole, within metropolitan Melbourne - perhaps we should use public forums to talk of the good our clubs do, their achievements and all that our Association has to offer.

For the RPBCC Falcons, perhaps it would have been better to talk too their immediate past history (the last 6 years); being relocated by one Council, 3 home grounds in the past 6 seasons, 1 season playing away from home exclusively, a merge 3 years ago, 2nd last on the ladder 2 years ago and, NOW, a top of the table finish and home Grand Final with a team that has an average age of less than 22. Successes of the RPBCC Falcons this Season should be a beacon to other clubs that with the right people, a structured non-negotiable strategic framework and hardwork - that anything is possible and that money is not always the answer to on-field success. I would have though public commentary to this effect would have been more appropriate than random throwaway lines of; "by all reports, horrid."
Thanks Ben.

My throw away line came from the fact I discussed the pitch with one of the participants in the match: whilst he didn't use the word horrid, he certainly called it a poor pitch. The explanation I was given was that it was wavey, with green and dry spots. Hit a green one it took off, hit a dry one it kept low. He stated it was extremely difficult to bat on. If that's hearsay, then so be it.

I'm not sure how I have 'run down' RPBCC, I commented on a deck. If and when I bag RPBCC then I'll happily let you rip into me, however, don't appreciate the long bow being taken.

If Kingston Saints prepared a pitch that was of a poor quality, I would expect that we would 'cop it', as we have in the past.

As far as talking up success, I have absolutely no issue in praising RPBCC. You guys have done a sensational job in the last couple of years and have turned the club around to an amazingly strong position. For that, I wholeheartedly congratulate you. The performances of RPBCC & Ormond can certainly be a blue print for Kingston Saints.

Many seasons ago I adopted the policy of never seeking to be advised by clubs of umpires' ratings of pitches I prepare. One of my counterparts took the opposite stance, even to the extent of knowing which umpires were ''hard'' markers and which were ''easy''. It was crazy, in my view, for him to get so wrapped up in what were, obviously, subjective opinions with which he very often disagreed and over which he had no control. You have stated the ''mysterious'' Y'ville IstXI player took pictures on Friday. He did not tell me he took the pictures on Friday. Do you know more about this than you are letting on? As to ''mysterious'', I would never name someone on this forum without seeking their prior consent. The posts are in reference to the final pitch mate--not in respect to all the hard work done by your club in recent years of which you can be justly proud.

Thanks Ben.

My throw away line came from the fact I discussed the pitch with one of the participants in the match: whilst he didn't use the word horrid, he certainly called it a poor pitch. The explanation I was given was that it was wavey, with green and dry spots. Hit a green one it took off, hit a dry one it kept low. He stated it was extremely difficult to bat on. If that's hearsay, then so be it.

I'm not sure how I have 'run down' RPBCC, I commented on a deck. If and when I bag RPBCC then I'll happily let you rip into me, however, don't appreciate the long bow being taken.

If Kingston Saints prepared a pitch that was of a poor quality, I would expect that we would 'cop it', as we have in the past.

As far as talking up success, I have absolutely no issue in praising RPBCC. You guys have done a sensational job in the last couple of years and have turned the club around to an amazingly strong position. For that, I wholeheartedly congratulate you. The performances of RPBCC & Ormond can certainly be a blue print for Kingston Saints.
I looked at the pitch 1 and 2 days before, there was not one blade of grass as the curator was told to take every blade of grass off it to give Pinwell no advantage. There was not 1 green spot at all on it. It was rolled in to submission and was hard as a rock, it didn't even brake up. Maybe sum it up like this, if it was so horrid how did Ormond make the highest score against Oakleigh this year 7/248 and how to did Oakleigh get to 2/175 before a terrible lbw , followed by 2 silly run outs and another dodgy lbw. Nothing wrong with the deck.

I looked at the pitch 1 and 2 days before, there was not one blade of grass as the curator was told to take every blade of grass off it to give Pinwell no advantage. There was not 1 green spot at all on it. It was rolled in to submission and was hard as a rock, it didn't even brake up. Maybe sum it up like this, if it was so horrid how did Ormond make the highest score against Oakleigh this year 7/248 and how to did Oakleigh get to 2/175 before a terrible lbw , followed by 2 silly run outs and another dodgy lbw. Nothing wrong with the deck.
First ive heard of stinking LBW's? I think Oakliegh just lost the plot? Bird 23 over over two spells is quite remarkable. Re the pitch scores reflect it was a highway and that bowling was a ludicrous decision, if it was as flat as you say Scratch why do you think they bowled? I just cant believe it was concrete after all the weather? I think they bowled because they didnt rate Ormonds batting which is far enough considering how poor they were in the previous game, even still runs on the board....

Think you are confusing the comments Scratch. The earlier discussion was about the pitch at Lakeside, not EE Gunn.

Certainly no complaints about the wicket at Ormond.

Think you are confusing the comments Scratch. The earlier discussion was about the pitch at Lakeside, not EE Gunn.

Certainly no complaints about the wicket at Ormond.
I said it was concrete and he said he heard that it was horrid. Macguiness smashed his on to his pad, when he was 87.

Had a good spot behind the ump and he put his bat straight in the air before the finger went up. I think that ump came from the vtca.

Back