2014/2015 Barclay Shield

Overreacting? Its a very very pathetic excuse for not making runs. It has nothing to do with Eltham, or any other club. We are talking pitch sizes. You don't see me complaining when I play on a skinny pitch.
It hasnt got anything to do with runs mate. Its unfair on the bowlers of clubs with skinny pitches

It hasnt got anything to do with runs mate. Its unfair on the bowlers of clubs with skinny pitches

Like we said the other day, is it unfair on batsmen to play at Eltham College because the ground is so lush? Or is it unfair on bowlers to play at Research because its a smallish ground? Or unfair on batsmen with a good pull shot because Diamo is too big square? Or unfair on batsmen if the bowler swings the ball too much? Or your opposition have better bats than you?

Give me a spell. If any of your bowlers at your club sook about the size of the pitch being unfair, tell them to fork out more subs, so their club can get a wider pitch. Or find a new club to play at. Or lastly, you could tell them to put their big boy pants on, and stop crying.

Pathetic.

Its about the team though yeh? As long as your side is winning, who cares?

Pretty sure they don't just bowl short and wide all day. This isn't "Blackhawk Shield" we're posting in.
In fairness, if I had one scoring shot, it'd be the cut. I've played guys who cut from Middle stump outwards. Admittedly you can't cut a half volley.

I dont think it affects the game as such (unless you are playing f grade or below), however i still find it astounding that we let such a discrepancy exist. I mean can you imagine soccer with a smaller penalty area, or nrl with different distance yard lines?

Like we said the other day, is it unfair on batsmen to play at Eltham College because the ground is so lush? Or is it unfair on bowlers to play at Research because its a smallish ground? Or unfair on batsmen with a good pull shot because Diamo is too big square? Or unfair on batsmen if the bowler swings the ball too much? Or your opposition have better bats than you?

Give me a spell. If any of your bowlers at your club sook about the size of the pitch being unfair, tell them to fork out more subs, so their club can get a wider pitch. Or find a new club to play at. Or lastly, you could tell them to put their big boy pants on, and stop crying.

Pathetic.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree and move on.
But I must say I am intrigued as to why this has struck such a chord with you tongs

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree and move on.
But I must say I am intrigued as to why this has struck such a chord with you tongs

I just responded to your original post. Hasn't hit a chord with me at all. I am happy to play on any pitch that my club, or any club throws up. I couldn't care less. I hate that people want to whinge and complain about any aspect of the game because it makes it a bit harder than normal to bat. Its soft and pathetic. Advance your own game, not try and get the rules changed. Unless it is ruining the game (ie the balls last year) then why make issues for the sake of it.

I think you're going to be very hard pressed to find much support, but feel free to put it up as a rule change for next season.

I dont think it affects the game as such (unless you are playing f grade or below), however i still find it astounding that we let such a discrepancy exist. I mean can you imagine soccer with a smaller penalty area, or nrl with different distance yard lines?

Or cricket grounds that are different sizes........ oh

Or cricket grounds that are different sizes........ oh

Not the best argument, ground sizes are different everywhere in football too (different stadiums change their ground size to suit their style 'wide play' or 'narrow play') cant do anything about that but the important elements such as penalty area, or in cricket's case the size of the wide lines have to be the same.

Last edited:
This has been one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
Talking about sizes of pitches and using regulations from other sports to justify the argument.
Saying nrl with different lines etc would be like saying your pitch is marked closer stump to stump than ours and your wide lines are marked differently.

The overall width of the pitch has no bearing in the game other than mental on the players, if that affects you then sort your head out.

You'll never see pitches set up within the perimeters of the laws of cricket in regards to wide lines.
We may as well talk about how long the pitch extends lengthways past the stumps while we're at it as it may disturb rhythm in run ups.

Simple fix, mark wide lines for the appropriate format and let the umpires make the calls.

Oh wait we've been doing that for years.

If your pitch isn't marked go down to bunnings and get a can of white spray paint and a measuring tape and mark them out.

Thats what i am trying to say mark the lines on pitches. But how many clubs do that? Most just go by the 'width of the pitch'. There should be a set standard. Dont think it affects the game too much, but i still think it makes sense to have a standard in today's politically correct world.

This has been one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
Talking about sizes of pitches and using regulations from other sports to justify the argument.
Saying nrl with different lines etc would be like saying your pitch is marked closer stump to stump than ours and your wide lines are marked differently.

The overall width of the pitch has no bearing in the game other than mental on the players, if that affects you then sort your head out.

You'll never see pitches set up within the perimeters of the laws of cricket in regards to wide lines.
We may as well talk about how long the pitch extends lengthways past the stumps while we're at it as it may disturb rhythm in run ups.
Spot on joff

I just responded to your original post. Hasn't hit a chord with me at all. I am happy to play on any pitch that my club, or any club throws up. I couldn't care less. I hate that people want to whinge and complain about any aspect of the game because it makes it a bit harder than normal to bat. Its soft and pathetic. Advance your own game, not try and get the rules changed. Unless it is ruining the game (ie the balls last year) then why make issues for the sake of it.

I think you're going to be very hard pressed to find much support, but feel free to put it up as a rule change for next season.
Stop banging on about it being hard to bat on. Im saying for the third or fourth time now its about the bowlers. Good teams are good teams for a reason so they will still be able to exploit a game plan whether playing on wide pitches skinny pitches or an airport runway.
I think quite a few on here have thought the idea had some merit. You say I have made an issue just for the sake of it. I thought it was a good discussion point.
I spose we should just go back to bagging good fellas like Rozzie or throwing up blokes stats who have decided to move to another club or shit canning clubs for their recruiting. Is that all this forum is about?

Current pitches ARE ruining the game, but that's nothing to do with the width.

Seriously, we have umpires and we pay them, if the ball is a wide then f***ing call it.

I actually love how grounds are different, would be boring if not.

For what it's worth I didn't experience any side bowling "wide" of off on a wider pitch this season. Not to say it doesn't happen though.

Changing to the all weather pitches was the worse thing that has ever happened to the DVCA. I don't really give a crap about the width to be honest.

We've had the all weather pitches for some time yet very little seems to have been done to expedite their replacement. Is it possible the opposition to the all weather stuff is the vocal minority? I'm not sure ours at Loyola will stand up to another season, but I doubt it will be replaced before the ground work and upgrades are finished. Will be interesting to see what they decide to lay when all is said and done.

Seriously f*#% off with the pitch talk you blokes are like a bunch of girls complaining about their hair

Yeh, yeh, don't mention the war.

I notice the mid year comp seems to be fairly strong. The stars have entered a team, probably the best pre-season you could hope to do. Has anyone played in it? What's the standard like?

We've had the all weather pitches for some time yet very little seems to have been done to expedite their replacement. Is it possible the opposition to the all weather stuff is the vocal minority? I'm not sure ours at Loyola will stand up to another season, but I doubt it will be replaced before the ground work and upgrades are finished. Will be interesting to see what they decide to lay when all is said and done.

It's got more to do with cost and coucil than it does with preference.

I'm sure if it were free and the councils approved the change back to the old pitches then it would have been done a long time ago.

Anyone who thinks the all weather are a better cricket pitch to play on are kidding themselves though.

I've said it before and will say it again. A number of other councils have pulled up the all weather wickets and replaced them with the wickets we used to have. It seems that our councils banyule, whittlesea and nillumbik are reluctant to do so.
Any cricket pitch that is considered safe for football to be played on can not be good to play cricket on.

Back