England In West Indies 2015

Although I wouldn't have said it such an extreme manor...I largely agree with Geoff Boycott here. A management consisting of Cook, Moores and Strauss will only continue to make England more out of touch with the modern game. 'Mates' don't necessarily make good team leaders or managers because of the conflict of interest and the general acceptance of each others' ideas. Add onto that that they are all the 'cautious' type of people and you have a recipe of more of the same from English cricket in the future.

Funny how Vaughan seems to be out of the running for the England director of cricket role after writing a particularly scathing assessment of England's performance against the West Indies. Isn't that what they need? To realize that they are average and need to completely rebuild and restructure English cricket? I think Vaughan would be ideal for the role as he's not a 'mate' and will speak his mind without any of this PC bullcrap that won't help England at all. They need a complete restructuring in my opinion but it looks as if they've learned nothing from their recent failures.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/geof...espie-michael-vaughan-cook-stewart/2015-05-05

He really should have tried to fight on for a bit longer. He may live to regret the decision..

He clearly isn't up to it at the moment though. Still susceptible to the short ball and looked nothing like the player he used to be. It says a lot about his form getting out cheaply to an average Windies' attack on pretty flat decks. At 34 it's hard to justify a spot in the side when there are younger players showing promise on the county scene.

England clearly need to begin thinking about a rebuild over the next couple of years. They've got a few players that they can build a team around such as Root, Ali, Bell, Stokes, Buttler but they need to find a couple of top order bats, a good fast bowler, a good swing bowler and a spinner. Anderson isn't going to be around forever, Broad looks to be past his best at the moment and Tredwell is a stop gap fix. There will be short term pain for a couple of years or so but there's really no easy solution. If they can rebuild well and get back to where they were (top two or three sides in tests) then it will be well worth it.

England are going to have to trawl through the county scene and see who they can find who has a reasonable period of consistent and good form behind them. The days of old guard in the mid 2000's to the early 2010's are over. Perhaps someblokecalleddave someblokecalleddave and S SLA could shed some light on some up and coming players?

Last edited:
Rashid might be their spin answer but they seem to prefer using Ali as an all-rounder.. I'd add James Taylor and Alex Hales, maybe even Sam Robson to the mix and the future doesn't look so dull. They need to stick with the young guys and develop them. That's been another of their issues.

Rashid might be their spin answer but they seem to prefer using Ali as an all-rounder.. I'd add James Taylor and Alex Hales, maybe even Sam Robson to the mix and the future doesn't look so dull. They need to stick with the young guys and develop them. That's been another of their issues.

Rashid needs more control and obviously needs to take more wickets at first-class level. His average of over 34 doesn't shout test standard player to me at the moment.

Very true, England have a habit of chopping and changing players at the drop of a hat, particularly during the 90's and early 2000's.

Last edited:
Rashid needs more control and obviously needs to take more wickets atfirst-class level. His average of over 34 doesn't shout test standard player to me at the moment.

Still be more of a handful than Ali I would suggest. But I doubt Cook would know how to handle a leggie. Probably take him off after the first boundary scored or take every slip out lol.

Still be more of a handful than Ali I would suggest. But I doubt Cook would know how to handle a leggie. Probably take him off after the first boundary scored or take every slip out lol.

Ali has good control but is really a one-day bowler being asked to have a test bowling role. He's not all that threatening at the best of times and was actually dropped I think after the first test for Tredwell who was then dropped for the last game even though he bowled reasonably well. England have never had much luck with leg-spinners, probably explains why they can't play them either.

If things keep going the way they are Cook won't be in the role much longer, I'd say he'd be given the series against New Zealand and then the Ashes to do something. If England get flogged in both you would have to say he'd be in danger of being removed from the role. If that happened they could potentially appoint someone as captain who has a more attacking intent in the role.

Certainly some interesting times for English cricket though over the next few months. It will very interesting to see what pans out and what happens from here.

If things keep going the way they are Cook won't be in the role much longer, I'd say he'd be given the series against New Zealand and then the Ashes to do something. If England get flogged in both you would have to say he'd be in danger of being removed from the role. If that happened they could potentially appoint someone as captain who has a more attacking intent in the role.

Well with Strauss now being appointed director of cricket, Cook will probably be there for a lot longer at the helm.. Strauss and them are good mates and they obviously share a number of similarities.

Back