2015 Ashes - Australia In England

Well the third test starts Wednesday. My prediction of 3-0 has gone but maybe 3-1 is still on the cards. I imagine Haddin will play but he must be on notice, also Watson must now be history after the performance of Marsh in the second test. Mitch didn't really have a great game but still had an impact way above anything Watson has done for a long time. We will see if England really play two spinners in Edgbaston. I think they would be foolish as we have a few good players of spin. The issue has always been the swinging ball and the POMS seem to have lost that in their attack. Shaun MArsh is the easy step in for Rogers but this must be getting toward his last chance also. He has had opportunity and even with those couple of hundreds has not lived up to his potential.

I agree that England have seemed to lost the ability to swing the ball with any venom but I can't agree with you about Australia being good players of spin bowling. Other than Clarke and Smith, who else would you call proficient against playing spin? Warner and Rogers are shaky at best, Haddin is probably one of the worst going around, Watson lol, need I go on?

I'd love to see Australia face Rashid on a turning wicket. He's an improved leggie and it would be interesting to see how they would play him..

I agree that England have seemed to lost the ability to swing the ball with any venom but I can't agree with you about Australia being good players of spin bowling. Other than Clarke and Smith, who else would you call proficient against playing spin? Warner and Rogers are shaky at best, Haddin is probably one of the worst going around, Watson lol, need I go on?

I'd love to see Australia face Rashid on a turning wicket. He's an improved leggie and it would be interesting to see how they would play him..

I get what you are saying but really, the POMS have not had a good spinner in a long time. Even Swann was not that great of a spinner he had more powerful gamesmanship tools that helped him be such a good wicket taker. You may say Warner is not good against spin but if those spinners are not right on the money he will make a 100 so fast they will faint. Though we have seen little of Voges up till now at test level, i thought he was meant to be ok with spin. Maybe i am wrong but overall the POMS will have to find something better than their current spinners if they want to strike fear into any Test team.

I get what you are saying but really, the POMS have not had a good spinner in a long time. Even Swann was not that great of a spinner he had more powerful gamesmanship tools that helped him be such a good wicket taker. You may say Warner is not good against spin but if those spinners are not right on the money he will make a 100 so fast they will faint. Though we have seen little of Voges up till now at test level, i thought he was meant to be ok with spin. Maybe i am wrong but overall the POMS will have to find something better than their current spinners if they want to strike fear into any Test team.

Well we haven't seen Rashid in the whites yet. Moeen Ali isn't going to bowl Australia out as you implied..

"The only thing I can do really is focus on what's in hand," he said. "It's my home Test match. It's always great fun. I know the ground inside out. I've got to enjoy myself." - Ian Bell

Wish him all the best. Always liked watching him bat when he's in form.

But all he needs to do is stick it out, watch the ball and get his feet moving. He'll have plenty of time.
Or maybe he is getting old and the sight and reflex are not up to the top order. it happens to us all and i know i did not take it well, even at country cricket level where i played.

Or maybe he is getting old and the sight and reflex are not up to the top order. it happens to us all and i know i did not take it well, even at country cricket level where i played.

I think its all psychological with Bell. He just doesn't seem to handle the pressures of international cricket that well..

So Australia will likely go in unchanged with Nevill retained for the third test and Haddin now on the outer. Chris Rogers appears to have recovered from his ear problem and looks set to play. England have promoted Ian Bell to number three and have dropped Gary Ballance with Jonny Bairstow to take his place.

The pitch looks to be a more traditional English wicket and should have more grass on it which will provide some seam and swing. Funnily enough, the groundsmen have been using hot lamps which have been loaned to the ground free of charge by the local police force who recently confiscated them from some locals who were using them to grow cannabis. The use of the lamps is help dry out the pitch and the ground which was affected by heavy rain last week.

The pitch looks to be a more traditional English wicket and should have more grass on it which will provide some seam and swing.

Didn't the English say that it was likely to offer some turn? If there is more grass on it then surely it won't offer much turn..
Especially not if it isn't very dry.

Does it look like Aus go in unchanged then? Rogers will be fit, Nevill retains his spot.

I thought the fact that Nevill was keeping in that first class fixture between the tests suggested as much. I get that Nevill and Haddin play grade and state cricket together and that Nevill usually keeps when they both play, but the fact that he missed the previous test, would've been all the more reason to get him some time behind the stumps if he was going to play the 3rd test.

Eng look like losing Wood and replacing him with Finn - could be interesting. I reckon if Finn plays, he'll bowl superbly or awfully but nothing in between!

Plenty of pressure on the Sherminator to find a bit of form!

Lyth can consider himself a bit lucky I think - he can't be far from the chop at the moment.

Clarke too is way overdue for a big contribution!

I think I read the wicket has a fair grass covering and may seam around - good news for the bowlers, bad news for the bats searching for runs!

Interesting couple of articles in the press today - had to laugh at the Stuart Broad one, the bloke just doesn't do himself any favours. Also a bit disappointing from Matt Hayden, would've hoped he'd lend some support to Nevill, or at the very least wait until the end of the series to launch one like that.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/how-an-aussie-fan-snapped-this-photo/story-fnaqgujp-1227461376294

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...d-haddins-recall/story-fnu2penb-1227461121393

Nice to see Anderson get into some form. Almost nothing better than watching controlled swing bowling!

This series is like a see-saw.. Good viewing though.

Some ordinary shots I agree, but I think Anderson and Finn need to take a bit of credit. Anderson, as per usual a world beater in helpful conditions. Finn's spell shortly after lunch was quite hostile.

Cook must be spewing getting out to that catch by Voges. Bell would be very disappointed to throw his hand away the way he did.

If Aus can get early wickets and give away a lead of less than 100, the match can be turned around. Failing that, Eng look certain to go 2-1 up.

That collapse reminded me of the MCG Ashes test in 2010. I remember that game was the first (maybe still the only?) game in the history of Test cricket where the team batting second had the lead at the end of the first day. England 4 runs away from doing it again.

Ian Bell playing a square drive is one of the best looking shots in cricket.

Back