Subbies Thread

Just bloody vote to play Friday so we can enjoy GF day! Fair dinkum if you don't you OC's on the committee should be forced to play for us on Sunday ...

This post did make me laugh.

My personal preference would be that Round 1 is scheduled to commence on Friday 2 October but I will respect the decision made by the VSDCA Exec as they consider the needs of multiple Councils, 3rd party stakeholders, being seen to support CV and the individual needs and preferences of 28 clubs. We don't always get what we want or prefer.

This post did make me laugh.

My personal preference would be that Round 1 is scheduled to commence on Friday 2 October but I will respect the decision made by the VSDCA Exec as they consider the needs of multiple Councils, 3rd party stakeholders, being seen to support CV and the individual needs and preferences of 28 clubs. We don't always get what we want or prefer.
Why not just start on the 10th. Its simple, decks won't be ready by the 2nd and council curators will be getting double time, or won't work. Its a one off, so just accept it.

[QUOTE="Commonsense prevails. If weather permits, curators will have their pitches at match hardness by Thursday and can enjoy the long-weekend. BTW, never has my opinion been sought on a curating issue by the executive of any of the several comps in which I have curated. But I have only been curating in every season since 1989--give them time!!

Why not just start on the 10th. Its simple, decks won't be ready by the 2nd and council curators will be getting double time, or won't work. Its a one off, so just accept it.
It's to protect crickets ownership of the October to the end of March slot on the calendar..
Turf Cricket is costly and always under pressure from local government so you can understand Cricket Victoria and subbies digging their heals in..

It's to protect crickets ownership of the October to the end of March slot on the calendar..
Turf Cricket is costly and always under pressure from local government so you can understand Cricket Victoria and subbies digging their heals in..
Its a once off due to the World Cup. The problem is with councils is that they want a free month at the end of every season. Now tell me what damage does cricket do to grounds and we know the answer.

With respect, I don't think it was a smart move by the subbies to slavishly follow Premier by initially selecting the 4th. I say that, because I agree with your point that cricket authorities are aware in this day and age it is essential not to upset Council's still preparing pitches. For mine, expecting Council curators to work on a public holiday, probably at double time, and denying them the opportunity to avail themselves of a long weekend was a very bad public relations move on the part of the subbies executive.

Don't have a Council Curator.

This noted, again - Dare suggest that there are probably greater logistical/operational issues for the VSDCA Exec to consider than the prospect of an additional 2 days wicket preparation time.

How's about we entrust the elected Executive of the VSDCA to make a decision and announce and we take from there. Where opinions have needed to be sought, I am sure that they have been and an informed decision will be made by those entrusted to make such decisions.

If the executive is not embarrassed by this matter it ought to be. As to ''How's about we entrust the elected Executive of the VSDCA to make a decision....'' the fact is they made one, 4th October, now making themselves look stupid and out of touch in the process. I trust you now understand the curating issue was not about pitch preparation, per se, as suggested in your previous post--it was that 4th October would have required curators to work on a public holiday and denied them the opportunity to avail themselves of a long weekend. And, risked some municipal councils being irked by the executive's decision.

If the executive is not embarrassed by this matter it ought to be. As to ''How's about we entrust the elected Executive of the VSDCA to make a decision....'' the fact is they made one, 4th October, now making themselves look stupid and out of touch in the process. I trust you now understand the curating issue was not about pitch preparation, per se, as suggested in your previous post--it was that 4th October would have required curators to work on a public holiday and denied them the opportunity to avail themselves of a long weekend. And, risked some municipal councils being irked by the executive's decision.

Streuth.

No - the VSDCA Executive is NOT out of touch, nor stupid. Unfortunately, it is you that is out of touch.

Your misguided sense of relevance is as comical as it is delusional.

Cease with your persistent muckraking. Is it possible that you do not run anything down.

Decisions made by the Association, Cricket Victoria and/or affiliate clubs do not need be justified to you.

As amazing as it may be for you to grasp, original decisions made and subsequent changes to these decisions are not exclusively based on curation and don't believe the broader audience needs a 3,000 word justification base in relationships and game maintenance.

Can you please do us a favour and pipe down for a period of time as I, for one, am tired of hearing highly respected individuals within the Association, CV and club land being run down for decisions made that need not be justified to you.

The game, Association and CV as a whole confront considerable immediate challenge and this is the white noise nonsense we are subjected to. Junior participation rates continue to decline at marked rates, the threat of the FFA and other alternates are omni-present and you want to lambast the Exec for setting an original date (aligned with CV) and then adjusting (as per CV's lead).

Please. Enough.

What I want to know is why did the subbies executive initially select the 4th October given they should have realized it would have required the curators to work on a public holiday and denied them a long weekend? And why did they did subsequently change the date? I want the facts, nothing more and nothing less, and, being a curator, I am entitled to know.

What I want to know is why did the subbies executive initially select the 4th October given they should have realized it would have required the curators to work on a public holiday and denied them a long weekend? And why did they did subsequently change the date? I want the facts, nothing more and nothing less, and, being a curator, I am entitled to know.

At the time of the fixture being finalised, Friday October 2nd wasn't officially a public holiday. This has only been confirmed in the last few weeks by the state government. The VSDCA couldn't have acted on a whim and a prayer that the Friday was going to be a public holiday as they would have looked more foolish should it have backfired.

They just made a mistake and weren't too stubborn to change their mind and let common sense prevail.

Good on them I reckon - would've been the easy decision to stick with Sunday

Fair challenge. Good point. Taken

If a current, active VSDCA curator - you have every right to ask whatever question you want with regards to curation with regards to either this decision or any decision you feel has an impact.

However, I do suggest it best, most appropriate and easiest for you to direct these questions to your club Executive or club Delegates to the VSDCA as opposed to asking all and sundry (and taking pot shots in the process) in a public forum.

So, all said, fair challenge - if you are a current and active curator, ask whatever questions you want via your appropriate club channels and this should assist you with the information you are "entitled to".

At the time of the fixture being finalised, Friday October 2nd wasn't officially a public holiday. This has only been confirmed in the last few weeks by the state government. The VSDCA couldn't have acted on a whim and a prayer that the Friday was going to be a public holiday as they would have looked more foolish should it have backfired.

Correct, they are in the exact same boat as Premier Cricket. Both Associations wanted to schedule the first game for the Friday Public Holiday and it wasn't their fault that the process was slow for the Government.

Everyone wins here so instead of potting the executive lets be happy that everyone got the result they wanted.

If they didn't realise official confirmation of Friday was just a formality, where have they been living since the election of the Andrew's government?

If they didn't realise official confirmation of Friday was just a formality, where have they been living since the election of the Andrew's government?
With fixturing, unless it is 100% locked in as a public holiday, then there is no use scheduling a game on that day. Common sense.

Back