Match-fixing Saga

Heaps of Pakistan players in the 90s would have done it but just got away with it. One match against New Zealand Akram I think it was bowled for mine suspiciously bad in the last couple of overs to lose the match.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/story/945643.html

So Cairns is found not guilty of perjury and of perverting the course of justice. The jury couldn't reach a unanimous verdict so were allowed to reach a majority one which they did.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised at the result. Some of the testimony from those who gave evidence, particularly Lou Vincent didn't paint Cairns in a positive light at all. Brendon McCullum too also had a fair bit to say as well.

I can't see Cairns returning to cricket at all due to what's happened but at least he will be able to get on with his life now that this is over for the time being.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/story/945643.html

So Cairns is found not guilty of perjury and of perverting the course of justice. The jury couldn't reach a unanimous verdict so were allowed to reach a majority one which they did.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised at the result. Some of the testimony from those who gave evidence, particularly Lou Vincent didn't paint Cairns in a positive light at all. Brendon McCullum too also had a fair bit to say as well.

I can't see Cairns returning to cricket at all due to what's happened but at least he will be able to get on with his life now that this is over for the time being.

Yes I was a bit surprised also. Thought he would at least get a light sentence but I guess the "extreme denial, say little" strategy paid off for Cairns in the end..

Yes I was a bit surprised also. Thought he would at least get a light sentence but I guess the "extreme denial, say little" strategy paid off for Cairns in the end..

I didn't follow this trial all that closely, although from what I read, the case against Cairns was made to look fairly strong.

Despite the verdict, fair to say his reputation is ruined beyond repair. Interesting to see where to next for him.

The biggest reason why he wasn't convicted was because there was no money trail leading back to Cairns and also because Vincent was one of the main witnesses... All the 'evidence' was word based and therefore, it was his word verse hers etc. There was never much evidence and that's why he got off completely.

5EC is right though. His reputation is forever tainted and he won't be able to have anything to do with cricket again and he may do better for himself if he moves to a non-cricketing country..

The biggest reason why he wasn't convicted was because there was no money trail leading back to Cairns and also because Vincent was one of the main witnesses... All the 'evidence' was word based and therefore, it was his word verse hers etc. There was never much evidence and that's why he got off completely.

5EC is right though. His reputation is forever tainted and he won't be able to have anything to do with cricket again and he may do better for himself if he moves to a non-cricketing country..

An article I read this morning said Cairns is living in Canberra these days.......

A future in Aus Federal politics?

Back