New Zealand In Australia - 2015

It's kind of funny how you mention that. The shock of a guy our age retiring had been softened for me a few days ago at the mentioning of Dave Warner being 29!

I could not believe that "Are being serious?" I say to myself "There's no way he's 29"

lol at the meltdowns on BF over the rumour that S.Marsh is replacing Khawaja.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...t/news-story/c789f2092947daa08c0c0bfa3032eb84

Rumours now confirmed - S Marsh, J Pattinson & S O'Keefe into the squad of 13 for U Khawaja and M Johnson.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the selectors sit down to discuss!

I wonder if they thought the Day / Night test was not the time to chuck a debutant in - be it the young Bancroft or the 26 first class tons experience of Klinger.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...t/news-story/c789f2092947daa08c0c0bfa3032eb84

Rumours now confirmed - S Marsh, J Pattinson & S O'Keefe into the squad of 13 for U Khawaja and M Johnson.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the selectors sit down to discuss!

I wonder if they thought the Day / Night test was not the time to chuck a debutant in - be it the young Bancroft or the 26 first class tons experience of Klinger.
i will be it is no time for a young batsman to make their debut. This day night test is an absolute lucky dip

Yes I think the day/night Test will make the ball swing around corners under lights... That's if the ball stays in shape.

Won't be surprised if it is a low scoring match.

Shame weather played a part... I thought rain didn't exist in Perth. :p

It does although it is highly seasonal. Taking into account the irony of Tuesday it probably won't rain now until March. :p

lol at the meltdowns on BF over the rumour that S.Marsh is replacing Khawaja.

It was always going to be between he and Klinger for the middle order spot. Bancroft is an opener only at this point. To be honest there's not much else to choose from who have experience at first-class and/or test level so Marsh gets the nod. There's no way they'd put a debutante in for the day/night test.

This could be Marsh's last chance though, if he makes some runs he'll likely get a gig for Boxing Day as Khawaja is probably going to be unavailable. Fail again and he may lose his spot for someone like Klinger or perhaps Handscomb.

Yes I think the day/night Test will make the ball swing around corners under lights... That's if the ball stays in shape.

Won't be surprised if it is a low scoring match.

It will be swinging like a 70's disco out there when it reaches twilight/night time. Will be surprised if any team passes 400/450 in any innings.

Night test novelty to be worn off by the second day.

Ticket sales are very strong apparently but it will certainly be interesting to see how things go.

Anyway, the third test isn't till next Friday however New Zealand play a two-day tour game starting tomorrow against a Western Australia XI at the WACA. The match is a day/night affair with play starting at 2pm local time (6am GMT). Conditions will be warm again, with a sunny 36 degrees expected tomorrow and partly cloudy 35 on Sunday with a slight chance of a thunderstorm.

WA have rested the majority of their first XI with only a few regular first XI players participating in the game. New Zealand batting coach Craig McMillan has said all 15 New Zealanders will play a part in the game due to the busy nature of the tour.

Western Australia XI: Ashton Turner*, Tom Beaton, William Bosisto, Ryan Duffield, Marcus Harris, Josh Inglis, David Moody, Liam O'Connor, Joel Paris, Andrew Tye, Jonathan Wells, Sam Whiteman+ (one to be omitted)

WA won the toss and unsurprisingly elected to bat. They're currently 1/52 after 10 overs. Harris was bowled by Wagner for 33 off only 26 balls.

The Warriors after playing with 12 with Whiteman giving Inglis the gloves for this game. New Zealand are playing with 14, Taylor has been rested while Luke Ronchi will keep wicket for the Black Caps.

Is that effectively a second eleven?

Sort of. Turner, Beaton, Bosisto, Duffield, Harris, Moody, Tye, Wells and Whiteman all have first-class experience. Paris is very good but has been struck down by injury the past couple of seasons.

Whiteman is WA's regular keeper. Bosisto hit a century last week against Victoria and Harris has opened the batting regularly over the past year or so. Beaton, Moody and Tye are on the fringes and Turner is the second eleven captain. Duffield was delisted by WA after last season and Wells was delisted by Tasmania after last season as well but has moved over here, both are currently uncontracted.

So you could say it's a not pure second eleven side but it does have quite a few 2's players. That is still a pretty good side though, would trouble most first-class outfits.

Last edited:
Western Australia 13/345 (90 overs)

Sam Whiteman 117
William Bosisto 78
Marcus Harris 33

Neil Wagner 5/62
Mitchell Santner 4/62
Doug Bracewell 2/36

A fairly odd scoreline with WA losing 13 wickets for the day. The Warriors are playing with 12 players while the Kiwis are using all 15 players on their squad with everyone rotating off the ground regularly. Ronchi and Watling both kept wicket today and got a stumping each for their troubles.

Harris, Wells and Beaton batted twice, Harris scored 33 in his first dig but came out again with a few overs to go with Wells batting again shortly after along with Beaton. Wagner bowled well taking five wickets and Santner picked up four in a good performance as well.

But the star of the day was Sam Whiteman who hit a very good hundred against a decent attack. A very timely century from Whiteman which will keep his name thereabouts for higher honours. :thumbsu:

Australia 1 Joe Burns, 2 David Warner, 3 Steven Smith (capt), 4 Adam Voges, 5 Shaun Marsh, 6 Mitchell Marsh, 7 Peter Nevill (wk), 8 Mitchell Starc, 9 Peter Siddle, 10 Josh Hazlewood, 11 Nathan Lyon

New Zealand 1 Martin Guptill, 2 Tom Latham, 3 Kane Williamson, 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Brendon McCullum (capt), 6 BJ Watling (wk), 7 Mitchell Santner 8 Doug Bracewell, 9 Mark Craig, 10 Tim Southee, 11 Trent Boult

I'm pleased that Siddle gets an opportunity (also slightly Vic biased). Bit of pressure on Hazlewood to deliver.

Dont know much about M Santner - FC averages of 30 with bat and 50+ with the ball.....

Back