How To Play On Bouncy Versus Low Bounce Wickets

lower11

I am playing in a league where the pitch i play on changes everyweek depending on the venue. One week i play on bouncy pitches and the other, low bounce wickets. It seems this is affecting my game, any tips on how to play on each pitch? I especially struggle on the low bounce wickets. Most of my good scores have been on the bouncy wickets so far this year.

Thanks

One simple tip - that needs some work to get right - is to play the same. The only adjustment you make is the height of your hands. Your balance and alignment don't change at all.

The only other bit of advice is to take a while to decide what is right for going forward. On bouncier pitches you can play back to balls that are fuller than on low pitches. You'll have to play that one by ear and take a few balls at the start of your innings to make that judgement.

I am playing in a league where the pitch i play on changes everyweek depending on the venue. One week i play on bouncy pitches and the other, low bounce wickets. It seems this is affecting my game, any tips on how to play on each pitch? I especially struggle on the low bounce wickets. Most of my good scores have been on the bouncy wickets so far this year.

Thanks

The height of the bounce only really affects you on the back foot; when the ball is pitched up, you should be able to get forward and intercept it before any excessive bounce has time to become a factor. You can play full balls the same way on either pitch.

The key change is how to play the back of a length deliveries: On bouncy pitches anything short will get up to your chest/shoulders so you will have more opportunity to cut and pull if you're attacking, and simply to sway out of the way and leave the ball if you're being more circumspect.

On lower pitches, those same balls will be arriving around knee to thigh height and threatening the stumps, so you will have to play them defensively if they are straight. Your attacking option will be the back-foot drive instead of the cross bat shots.

Back