Subbies Thread

West:

1. M. Dean
2. S. Dean
3. A. Maynard
4. M. Love
5. D. McDonald
6. S. Jones
7. J. Grubb (WK) no standout keeper in the West, Grubb kept throughout his junior years
8. M. Johnstone (C)
9. B. Jones
10. B. Robertson
11. G. Kennedy

That would be my West side with O'Brien, Kirk and McCammond stiff to miss.

Think the South would take the chocolates.

West:

1. M. Dean
2. S. Dean
3. A. Maynard
4. M. Love
5. D. McDonald
6. S. Jones
7. J. Grubb (WK) no standout keeper in the West, Grubb kept throughout his junior years
8. M. Johnstone (C)
9. B. Jones
10. B. Robertson
11. G. Kennedy

That looks like a pretty accurate side, and yes South would be expected to account for West.

Probably East would be the next strongest and North the weakest

West:

1. M. Dean
2. S. Dean
3. A. Maynard
4. M. Love
5. D. McDonald
6. S. Jones
8. M. Johnstone (C)
9. B. Jones
10. B. Robertson
11. G. Kennedy

M.Stone from Sunshine is a very good keeper but not the best with the bat!

How are Brighton cc feeling right now. Big spending on players in the off season has produced 5 losses out of 5. Having a shocker down there on the beach.

$$$ can't buy success. Clubs should really have a think about this. One or two big names will not get u into finals or win a flag. Then they leave after 1 season and the whole process starts again. What's the point if $$$ does not get u flag.

Lucky sum clubs/people have deep pockets.

Last edited:
It's a tough one - I think secretly every Club hopes that their 'paid' player/s invest in the Club and end up wanting to stay for the Club, not themselves. Some do, some don't. Rohan Wight is an example of one I'm sure Ormond would've loved to have invest in the Club.

5 rounds is probably enough cricket to take stock..
South/West - Hoppers the surprise, Brighton the disappointment
North/East - Preston and Coburg the surprises, RPB and Noble Park the disappointments

In a quick wrap.

Harrison and Wild, O'Brien and Dean - huge scores!
Yarraville knocking over Caulfield probably the upset of the round.
Malvern and Hoppers had a tie! White with 13 wickets very impressive.
Liam Murphy's going alright too - 2 100's in a week. Baysy chased down 186 in the T20 which was super impressive!
Plenty Valley have a name I haven't heard too much about - Sanjaya Chathuranga - made a 100 in the 2's a few weeks ago and then picks up 8/13, pretty handy!
Daniel Gledhill picked up his 2nd ton in a row, belting the Hills.

Must be said, Hoppers have acquitted themselves quite nicely in their first year of Subbies. Interested to hear if anyone has thoughts on what's happening at Brighton. Is it all on-field?
Hard to see the Top 6 changing in the South/West.
Bit tighter in the North/East for the Top 6.

And just reading off Twitter, a Hoppers Crossing 3rd XI batsman finished on 236 on the weekend???!!

Last edited:
Elsternwick had a dominant day 1 against the best team in the competition ormond. Heads will be turning at this game.

Elsternwick have a very young, talented and United 1st XI. Could be going places over the next few years. No big $$$ recruits, just playing home grown players. Bucking the trend of other clubs who pay a high price for new recruits with no guarantees of finals success.

Last edited:
Back