Bat size.

Re: Bat size.

Sod's law - it pretty much means that if something fairly bad/embarrassing could happen, it will.

I think to bat well you have to think you have a nice bit of wood and if you like a bat, don't feel you have to change it every year like some people do.

Re: Bat size.

I do use a full size bat but its in the late 2lb's.

I just wanted to know because I have seen many clips and docs about him and he looks to have a smaller bat than most, especially the older woodworms he has used.

I may try to find a nice light bat, because at the moment a heavy bat is weighing me down. In the past i've done well with one, but my emphasis on ball distance is now minimul and gaining scores is priority.

I was wondering about this just recently, my older son, who is now taller than me, uses an old kashmir *Slazenger v1200 which is Harrow size. He's been using full size short handle, good quality bats, the same as mine and I'm shorter than he is. So when he took *this smaller bat to a game at the end of the season he scored his best score with ease, smacking the ball all over the shop and then was only stopped when he was left not out. I'd thought before he went out that it might be a mistake to go with such a small bat, but then thought - big blokes Chris Gayle, Flintoff etc, their bats look small in their hands, so might it make sense that if you're a smaller bloke (Me 5'10) that a Harrow size might work better? James Taylor for instance he's only 4'3" or something, surely he must use a smaller bat?

I batted with a harrow as a teenager/adult, thought it was a good size, I'm only about just 5'9" with shoes on though.

Height is not a huge factor Dave. There are many factors to consider and the most important is your style of batting. Mobility and S&C are also important factors. Always best to try different sizes, blade/handle ratio and weights.

Height is not a huge factor Dave. There are many factors to consider and the most important is your style of batting. Mobility and S&C are also important factors. Always best to try different sizes, blade/handle ratio and weights.
Okay, that makes sense, I'm currently using a Harrow size bat, which just feels really nice in the hand, it just feels lighter and I just seem to be hitting the ball cleaner and more frequently. Although the test will be this coming Tuesday when I go up against my older son (3rd best bowler in our club statistically), see how it works out against him.:eek:

Mate, I'm still on here and I'm still at it and that's in part down to your help back in the day! How you doing, I'm guessing you're still playing?

I'm doing well, glad to hear you're still at it.

I've not played for a couple of seasons due to work commitments unfortunately, I can't find the time at the minute. (Newly qualified teacher 'n all that, far too busy!)

Hows the art going? Still spinning those cricket balls? Glad to see leggies are more prominent in cricket at the minute than way back when.

Simbazz! How is life? x

Hi Liz,

Life is fantastic, hectic and stressful, all rolled into one!

How are you? Glad to see people I recognise are still here. I've only just recently checked the cricket forums I joined many years ago, for the first time in years!

I'm doing well, glad to hear you're still at it.

I've not played for a couple of seasons due to work commitments unfortunately, I can't find the time at the minute. (Newly qualified teacher 'n all that, far too busy!)

Hows the art going? Still spinning those cricket balls? Glad to see leggies are more prominent in cricket at the minute than way back when.

Hi Liz,

Life is fantastic, hectic and stressful, all rolled into one!

How are you? Glad to see people I recognise are still here. I've only just recently checked the cricket forums I joined many years ago, for the first time in years!
Oh my God mate teaching! Welcome to the club... Ofsted, observations, Maths, English, admin, schemes of work... We'll stop there I reckon!!!:eek:

Oh my God mate teaching! Welcome to the club... Ofsted, observations, Maths, English, admin, schemes of work... We'll stop there I reckon!!!:eek:

Its hell. Luckily the children make things a little more bearable!

So, these leggies. I know we're in the wrong thread. Just had a quick look at your Youtube, actions looking decent! Steady.

Its hell. Luckily the children make things a little more bearable!

So, these leggies. I know we're in the wrong thread. Just had a quick look at your Youtube, actions looking decent! Steady.
Yeah, I've been working on my bowling action - the whole thing. I think the last few conversations we had, you were one of the key people that was saying 'Dave you can't be a Googly bowler - you've got to get your Leg Break back - you're a Leggie'. Three years later and a lot of work I got it back. Virtually never bowl them anymore and would never spend any length of time re-learning them, more inclined to bowl Top-Spinners - batsmen think they're Googlies half the time and then the odd one comes out with a tiny little off-break, I'm happy with that. Had a decent season this year - really good start, bowling really well after some feedback from a 2nd XI batsman, who kept for us for 4 or 5 games at the start of the season. He had a good look at my bowling and at the time I was coming in off of 2 types of run-up - short and slow or faster and pacier. He said - stick with the pacier version. Took his advice and it went well, then I strained my Achilles and had to go back to the slow variation. Didn't do so well, but was okay.

That gave me time to reflect on my bowling. Then I saw a Glenn McGrath video where one of the key things he spoke about was establishing a run-up. I'd never heard any of it before and the way he described it just made a penny drop. So since the end of the season I've been working on it with the key point being the consistent and repeatable action. It's all coming together nicely.

Blogging - my blogs massive now and I've got a few, you type in wrist-spin bowling or leg-spin bowling and there's a pretty good start you'll find some content relating to me!

Yeah, I've been working on my bowling action - the whole thing. I think the last few conversations we had, you were one of the key people that was saying 'Dave you can't be a Googly bowler - you've got to get your Leg Break back - you're a Leggie'. Three years later and a lot of work I got it back. Virtually never bowl them anymore and would never spend any length of time re-learning them, more inclined to bowl Top-Spinners - batsmen think they're Googlies half the time and then the odd one comes out with a tiny little off-break, I'm happy with that. Had a decent season this year - really good start, bowling really well after some feedback from a 2nd XI batsman, who kept for us for 4 or 5 games at the start of the season. He had a good look at my bowling and at the time I was coming in off of 2 types of run-up - short and slow or faster and pacier. He said - stick with the pacier version. Took his advice and it went well, then I strained my Achilles and had to go back to the slow variation. Didn't do so well, but was okay.

That gave me time to reflect on my bowling. Then I saw a Glenn McGrath video where one of the key things he spoke about was establishing a run-up. I'd never heard any of it before and the way he described it just made a penny drop. So since the end of the season I've been working on it with the key point being the consistent and repeatable action. It's all coming together nicely.

Blogging - my blogs massive now and I've got a few, you type in wrist-spin bowling or leg-spin bowling and there's a pretty good start you'll find some content relating to me!

Excellent news, yeah the googly is a lovely ball to have in the locker, but as a leg spinner it has to be the stronger part of your game.

Your most recent videos with you bowling indoors looks great, even without turn you're gunna get batsmen having another look if you put them in the right spot, which on a cold, summery Sunday morning will benifit you.

By the way, just terrible batting ;) Where's the feet movment? I'm only joking.

Excellent news, yeah the googly is a lovely ball to have in the locker, but as a leg spinner it has to be the stronger part of your game.

Your most recent videos with you bowling indoors looks great, even without turn you're gunna get batsmen having another look if you put them in the right spot, which on a cold, summery Sunday morning will benifit you.

By the way, just terrible batting ;) Where's the feet movment? I'm only joking.
We're working on that. My younger son and I (Joe) have just discovered a facility near us which is frankly amazing via Tony M and it's probably cheap enough to go every two weeks for an hour, so we're on that. I've just edited the video footage from it and might upload it, but it does look as though there is a bit of improvement from the vids you've seen. We both came away feeling as though there was some step forward, even if it's just being more confident as a result of the fact that in the nets you can know the ball is going to there or thereabouts and it just enables you to possibly build skills? I've never had any coaching and never faced a bowling machine, so I'm hoping this may help in some way?

We're working on that. My younger son and I (Joe) have just discovered a facility near us which is frankly amazing via Tony M and it's probably cheap enough to go every two weeks for an hour, so we're on that. I've just edited the video footage from it and might upload it, but it does look as though there is a bit of improvement from the vids you've seen. We both came away feeling as though there was some step forward, even if it's just being more confident as a result of the fact that in the nets you can know the ball is going to there or thereabouts and it just enables you to possibly build skills? I've never had any coaching and never faced a bowling machine, so I'm hoping this may help in some way?

My biggest challenge was building my leg sided shots. They're still poor in parts, as unlike when the ball is in front of me, I don't have a clue on the angle I should be hitting the ball unless its a glance. Playing indoor helped me because as you say, bounce and travel of the ball is a lot more dependable.

Bringing it full circle (and back on topic), could using a lighter bat also help in building confidence in these shots? As you've got a bit more freedom. I'm guessing.

My biggest challenge was building my leg sided shots. They're still poor in parts, as unlike when the ball is in front of me, I don't have a clue on the angle I should be hitting the ball unless its a glance. Playing indoor helped me because as you say, bounce and travel of the ball is a lot more dependable.

Bringing it full circle (and back on topic), could using a lighter bat also help in building confidence in these shots? As you've got a bit more freedom. I'm guessing.
Currently, I've got a bunch of bats that I'm using going from 2:13 down to one that's on it's way from India that hopefully if they keep their end of the bargain will be 2:08 (ILBs and OZ's). I'm useless as you've seen in the previous video's - but legside I'm totally useless and it's something I need to work on. Been watching some videos, but first I've got to not lean towards the off-side and fall over or jump out of the way. I'm loading a vid now as I type, when it's ready I'll post it up. You'll see in I use a skinny 'eye in' type bat that weighs next to nothing and I do alright with that, so a light bat may be a good idea?

The other thing I've wondered recently is... if you're a big bloke like Chris Gayle - are you using a normal sized bat and if so is that the same as me using a Harrow size bat or a big kids bat proportionately? If so that seems to me that there could be benefits to using a small bat as well as the lighter weight? The logic being a light harrow harrow sized bat might be like a big normal sized bat to Chris Gayle?

Here you go

Last edited:
Currently, I've got a bunch of bats that I'm using going from 2:13 down to one that's on it's way from India that hopefully if they keep their end of the bargain will be 2:08 (ILBs and OZ's). I'm useless as you've seen in the previous video's - but legside I'm totally useless and it's something I need to work on. Been watching some videos, but first I've got to not lean towards the off-side and fall over or jump out of the way. I'm loading a vid now as I type, when it's ready I'll post it up. You'll see in I use a skinny 'eye in' type bat that weighs next to nothing and I do alright with that, so a light bat may be a good idea?

The other thing I've wondered recently is... if you're a big bloke like Chris Gayle - are you using a normal sized bat and if so is that the same as me using a Harrow size bat or a big kids bat proportionately? If so that seems to me that there could be benefits to using a small bat as well as the lighter weight? The logic being a light harrow harrow sized bat might be like a big normal sized bat to Chris Gayle?

Here you go

Down the ground, some lovely shots. One or two good looking ones through the covers as well. Your back leg looks to dominate quite a bit at times, especially with the straighter ball. Is that setup part of your club? I'd love that up here in the north! Don't think there is owt.

Regarding bat size with Gayle. I think he uses a reletively 'normal' size bat, going by this clip -

A picture which shows his bat is also below. Doesn't look outragious in any way, but then again, he's just an absolute machine.

kp-and-chris-gayle-shake-hands-hero-caribbean-premier-league.jpg

EDIT - I assume there's a way to make this smaller? I'm on my iPad, not been part of forum life for years and have completely forgotten! It does show how KP and Gayle use what I'd say is a similar size of bat.

Down the ground, some lovely shots. One or two good looking ones through the covers as well. Your back leg looks to dominate quite a bit at times, especially with the straighter ball. Is that setup part of your club? I'd love that up here in the north! Don't think there is owt.

Regarding bat size with Gayle. I think he uses a reletively 'normal' size bat, going by this clip -

A picture which shows his bat is also below. Doesn't look outragious in any way, but then again, he's just an absolute machine.

EDIT - I assume there's a way to make this smaller? I'm on my iPad, not been part of forum life for years and have completely forgotten! It does show how KP and Gayle use what I'd say is a similar size of bat.

No nothing to do with the club at all, it's about 30 minutes away from us and is a privately run facility, but at the minute rarely booked, so you have a look on line, book the lane, pay for it and then you're sent a code for a locked door. You turn up and it's yours for an hour £18. Three lanes, two bowling machines and loads of balls - brilliant! After an hour turn all the lights off, lock the door go home - amazing!
We're trying to get a couple of other people involved and share the cost.

On the video front - Gayle puts that down to his biceps, it's not that simple is it? Core strength for a start, but just biceps?

Last edited:
Back