Subbies Thread

So, no-one from Oakleigh good enough? Very poor representation from this side of town as 6 of the 7 clubs in the west (Altona, Willy, Y'ville, Melton, Hoppers Xing and Sunshine) not represented. I guess only time will tell whether this will be a trend. To establish a promotion/relegation system would probably only be practical if the annual geographical rotation was abandoned. As this would destroy the uniqueness of the subbies comp, I can't see that happening.

As Allenkey said, nobody from Oakleigh had a stand out season, it was their evenness that won them the flag so not sure your point is valid. As for the West sides, name a player that should be in it from our group and who they should replace. I bet you can't find one. These names aren't pulled out of a hat, they are done by seasoned cricket heads with due consideration.

As Allenkey said, nobody from Oakleigh had a stand out season, it was their evenness that won them the flag so not sure your point is valid. As for the West sides, name a player that should be in it from our group and who they should replace. I bet you can't find one. These names aren't pulled out of a hat, they are done by seasoned cricket heads with due consideration.

No criticism intended of the selections. What I had in mind was if the under-representation of the inner-west clubs in particular becomes a trend, it may be due it being increasingly difficult for them to remain as competitive as they would wish. They cannot simply re-locate to the growth corridors which, in any case, are already better served geographically by Hoppers, W'bee and Melton. As I said, only time will tell. All clubs should conduct a SWOT analysis from time-to time, as should the competition.

No criticism intended of the selections. What I had in mind was if the under-representation of the inner-west clubs in particular becomes a trend, it may be due it being increasingly difficult for them to remain as competitive as they would wish. They cannot simply re-locate to the growth corridors which, in any case, are already better served geographically by Hoppers, W'bee and Melton. As I said, only time will tell. All clubs should conduct a SWOT analysis from time-to time, as should the competition.
Certainly understood that you weren't criticising the selectors/selections. I don't think the standard of clubs in the west has anything to do with location, it has to do with history and additionally strength of the club at that point in time. If you have good history, a reasonable winning record and a generally good social atmosphere at a club you can attract talent whether it be young or old, from the sticks or the city. The best clubs at subbies level will always be those clubs that have it right both on and off the field. Ofcourse at some point money becomes a factor, but you just have to look at player signings this season to date to understand that it isn't all about cash.

I'm sure no one cares about this stat, but I wonder when was the last time a team that won the GF didn't have a player represented in the shortlist? Would have to be a rare occurence.

I'm sure no one cares about this stat, but I wonder when was the last time a team that won the GF didn't have a player represented in the shortlist? Would have to be a rare occurence.

I'm not sure if it has happened before but it is certainly the correct decision. Their best bat was a bowler who didn't bowl all that well. Some of their bats produced results that look more like PIN numbers. Their bowlers numbers were even, no stand outs. 3 fifties across 3 finals, no 5fa's for the season, how did they actually win it?

Slightly off topic but saw the tweet from CV RM for South East announcing "trial squads" for this coming Pathway season. Seems that the CV RM is now overseeing the SECA VMCU Shield program. Looks like a by-product of the new turf comp, Brighton, Elsternwick, Moorabbin etc should be very concerned about their Hatch squads. CV removed references to Hatch from the Pathway a year or so back and this looks like more subtle punishment being handed out to the VSDCA for not playing nice when it comes to the Regional restructure.

Slightly off topic but saw the tweet from CV RM for South East announcing "trial squads" for this coming Pathway season. Seems that the CV RM is now overseeing the SECA VMCU Shield program. Looks like a by-product of the new turf comp, Brighton, Elsternwick, Moorabbin etc should be very concerned about their Hatch squads. CV removed references to Hatch from the Pathway a year or so back and this looks like more subtle punishment being handed out to the VSDCA for not playing nice when it comes to the Regional restructure.

I don't think you are at all ''off topic'' my reason being I think CV will pull out all stops to make the Southern Division a viable alternative/competitor to the subbies. Hence, imo it is entirely appropriate any activities of the new comp which may potentially advantage/disadvantage the subbies comp be reported on this forum. Eg is it known if CV will provide $100K per season to the new comp? Will South Caulfield's senior X1 remain in the VTCA?
Over here, the only alternative metro comp to the subbies is the VTCA due to the remaining teams in the Willy comps turf division now moving to the VTCA.

The VTCA should change their name, I hear there is massive unrest in the North with how that competition is run. This new alternative will grow and maybe within 3 years CV will have their way.

The VTCA should change their name, I hear there is massive unrest in the North with how that competition is run. This new alternative will grow and maybe within 3 years CV will have their way.

Your post prompted me to revisit the indicative Taskforce North Metro and West Metro Leagues. Without the subbies clubs being in the West Metro League it would be light-on for sufficient numbers. However, the 8 Brimbank-based clubs are now in the indicative North Metro League. If they were instead in the West Metro League, I think both the North and West Leagues would have sufficient numbers to be viable without the subbies. The transfer would also continue to be in accord with CV's desire to align clubs with municipal councils. BTW, as 5 of the 8 Brimbank-based clubs are former SCA clubs, they may welcome being transferred to the League in the area with which they identify.
We live in interesting times!

Presentation night tomorrow night at the RACV club. Tipping Dean to take it from Thorne. Don't think anyone in the north/east group will finish top 3.

Looking forward to tonight's event, should be another great affair, with Pete Lazer back hosting.

I reckon the Holten Medal will be a low count affair, and my form guide is below.

16 - Grenville
14 - Dean.S
13 - Fort / Paterson
11 - Wild / Thorne

Interesting that Erasmus from Elsternwick made TOTY but not winning the u21 player of the year. Are we that backward that were not willing to acknowledge an individual's season because he's a fly in fly out Pom?

A bit off key I guess, but on the ForClubs tag on the VTCA website South Caulfield seeks a Senior Batsman & Wicketkeeper. Have they thumbed their nose at joining CV's Southern Division? Perhaps this is old news for the Southerners on this forum. I guess they think the new comp will not offer sufficient challenge for their senior X1.They will be in for a fair bit of travelling!

Back