Subbies Thread

Every club goes through phases of strength in junior numbers but that must be a very big concern for them. Did not know how bad the situation was. No wonder they see the bigger picture in the new comp, that Senior Div team would have only had 1 player under 30 too?

Relying entirely on the posts on this site for my info and applying it to the inner west, I forsee Sunshine lasting just one more season in the subbies being replaced in all likelihood by Yarraville Club the following season. I cannot imagine that situation being welcomed by subbies clubs in close vicinity. Shortly thereafter, Spotswood may also replace a subbies club in the west. Within a fairly short timeframe, given there will be 4 promotion/relegations overall per season, the subbies overall composition could look significantly different to the present. Do I have a correct interpretation of what could transpire?

You can say what you like, but have a good look at your club. They have the biggest junior program, but they all leave. If it wasn't for the new comp , you'd be in an ordinary place.
Don't get all defensive now! I hope SC stay strong it and others come good and challenge them. McKinnons first eleven won't be one of them for now but other grades all played finals last year and the juniors are strong so it's not all doom and gloom. I thank you for concern

Relying entirely on the posts on this site for my info and applying it to the inner west, I forsee Sunshine lasting just one more season in the subbies being replaced in all likelihood by Yarraville Club the following season. I cannot imagine that situation being welcomed by subbies clubs in close vicinity. Shortly thereafter, Spotswood may also replace a subbies club in the west. Within a fairly short timeframe, given there will be 4 promotion/relegations overall per season, the subbies overall composition could look significantly different to the present. Do I have a correct interpretation of what could transpire?

I was just taking a stab at what things might look like down the track if discussions are back on as our resident cheerleader assures us is the case. I do see changes to the composition of subbies, RPB are the first to fall away, I think Sunshine will succumb, and there are 2 other clubs that I would have doubts about long term. I don't think 2 - 4 changes would be considered significant. If promotion/relegation ever occurs between subbies and CV regional comps, RPB or any other clubs that leaves knows that it isn't a life sentence, they can force their way back.

Don't get all defensive now! I hope SC stay strong it and others come good and challenge them. McKinnons first eleven won't be one of them for now but other grades all played finals last year and the juniors are strong so it's not all doom and gloom. I thank you for concern
And all the juniors leave

I was just taking a stab at what things might look like down the track if discussions are back on as our resident cheerleader assures us is the case. I do see changes to the composition of subbies, RPB are the first to fall away, I think Sunshine will succumb, and there are 2 other clubs that I would have doubts about long term. I don't think 2 - 4 changes would be considered significant. If promotion/relegation ever occurs between subbies and CV regional comps, RPB or any other clubs that leaves knows that it isn't a life sentence, they can force their way back.

Given ''our resident cheerleader'' posted ''CV have now agreed to only 4 regions, which was a sticking point with Subbies'', (and assuming his understanding is correct), it is reasonable to assume the VSDCA would have had to make concessions to bring this about. He also subsequently posted ''That(s) what they agreed to at the meeting last week with North-West VTCA clubs''. I find it hard to believe this would have been revealed at that meeting due to my understanding the issues have not yet been revealed to the subbies clubs. I am confused due to lack of official information. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if your stab at what things might look like may be close to the concessions the subbies exec consider acceptable knowing (unfortunately) a number of their clubs will not be pleased.

There is some quality news posted on this site but if you are 'relying entirely on the posts on this site' for your information you will be made to look silly a few times I believe.

Given ''our resident cheerleader'' posted ''CV have now agreed to only 4 regions, which was a sticking point with Subbies'', (and assuming his understanding is correct), it is reasonable to assume the VSDCA would have had to make concessions to bring this about. He also subsequently posted ''That(s) what they agreed to at the meeting last week with North-West VTCA clubs''. I find it hard to believe this would have been revealed at that meeting due to my understanding the issues have not yet been revealed to the subbies clubs. I am confused due to lack of official information. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if your stab at what things might look like may be close to the concessions the subbies exec consider acceptable knowing (unfortunately) a number of their clubs will not be pleased.

The more Turf Cricket posts, the more certain I am he knows nothing

There is some quality news posted on this site but if you are 'relying entirely on the posts on this site' for your information you will be made to look silly a few times I believe.

i suggest 'Ill informed'' would be the more appropriate comment. I was aware of the need to look elsewhere and, in recent days have sought more info fr personnel at 3 clubs the only one to have responded being a committee member of Sunshine C C who today told me he was also aware of the proposed deal. He also told me the matter of internal turmoil within Sunshine as to whether to remain in the subbies will soon come to a head at an extraordinary general meeting. He added the present committee will walk out if the members do not agree to withdraw from the subbies forthwith.
As you are a Willy person through and through are you concerned if the scenario as outlined by Round the grounds actually materialises, a probable outcome would be that within a short period of time both Yarraville Club and Spotswood would be competitors?

i suggest 'Ill informed'' would be the more appropriate comment. I was aware of the need to look elsewhere and, in recent days have sought more info fr personnel at 3 clubs the only one to have responded being a committee member of Sunshine C C who today told me he was also aware of the proposed deal. He also told me the matter of internal turmoil within Sunshine as to whether to remain in the subbies will soon come to a head at an extraordinary general meeting. He added the present committee will walk out if the members do not agree to withdraw from the subbies forthwith.
As you are a Willy person through and through are you concerned if the scenario as outlined by Round the grounds actually materialises, a probable outcome would be that within a short period of time both Yarraville Club and Spotswood would be competitors?

I didn't say you do look silly just said you will be made to look silly, just a heads up.

Think I may have some idea what is going on.

I didn't say you do look silly just said you will be made to look silly, just a heads up.

Think I may have some idea what is going on.

Heads up accepted. Until now, the posts on this site have been all I have needed, but not in respect to recent developments. As there is no particular reason I need advance notification of recent developments I am content to simply sit back and read further developments as they arise. BTW, Barry McConnell handed Watto your club's Certificate of Appreciation (countersigned by you) for his coaching contribution last season at our monthly get-together last Friday. You are held you in high regard.

Heads up accepted. Until now, the posts on this site have been all I have needed, but not in respect to recent developments. As there is no particular reason I need advance notification of recent developments I am content to simply sit back and read further developments as they arise. BTW, Barry McConnell handed Watto your club's Certificate of Appreciation (countersigned by you) for his coaching contribution last season at our monthly get-together last Friday. You are held you in high regard.

They are both two great men that is for sure.

I am sure everyone is rapt that a lot of the RPBCC players have remained in subbies. The majority of the players have gone to Coburg with the obvious connect to Mitch Johnstone, Adam Yates to Altona as CC and Streiff and Preston to Willy.

Very sad with that Club leaving but at least the majority of their 1st XI will still be in VSDCA ranks.

Last edited:
Looking at ins and out so far, over the 'trade' period Melton, Brunswick and Willy appear to be the biggest winners.

In terms of possible improvement to last year's results, Melton are in front.

Looking at ins and out so far, over the 'trade' period Melton, Brunswick and Willy appear to be the biggest winners.

In terms of possible improvement to last year's results, Melton are in front.
Can't fault your analysis. Question is whether they can compete and contend with the powerhouse clubs. Particularly as some have recruited well and will only get better

Just on recruitment, been a bit of movements in the West, North and South, but nothing much in the East. Anyone have any updates?

Speaking of movements in the North and the West, Harrison from Ormond back to Yarraville is a massive get and so is the return of Mick Lewis to Coburg. Been out of the game for a few years and 42 this year but still don't think anyone will be lining up to face him.
The competition just gets stronger and stronger every season.

Back