Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

Clubs need to be pro-active otherwise you'll wait for ten years to get your pitch replaced.
It needs to be a structured roll-out over say 2 seasons whereby clubs get rid of that putrid rubber s..t and replace it with the standard syntho wicket. Clubs need to liaise with the DVCA, local council, CV, and work towards providing funding for the changeover. I know of one club who arranged for the approved syntho to be transported down from Queensland and then arranged for it to be installed by their members. it took 2 weekends to lay 2 new wickets at a final cost of $6500.00. They purchased from interstate after shopping around for the best price. 2 weekends of contribution, bbq's and a few frothies during the works = Job done

Sorry just catching up...
The quoted costs of $24K are complete Bulls...t
Last year we replaced the old 6ft pitch at Yulong, with an 8ft flat synthetic wicket.
Total cost of $9900 to the club.
$6600 for the new 8ft concrete (incl removal off old one) and $3300 for the half share of the 8ft synthetic.

If clubs choose to do so, they can stay at a 6 ft wide pitch.... but be wary of the fact that when replacing the synthetic the new pitches are a straight 6ft or 8ft. The aprons get cut off. So I suggest going to 8ft wide pitch.
Otherwise you will end up with a very narrow pitch like Mernda...

There has been no mention of the ongoing maintenance fees.
Part of the up front cost per pitch was to be put towards to total cost of machinery required by council to remove the covers.

Sorry just catching up...
The quoted costs of $24K are complete Bulls...t
Last year we replaced the old 6ft pitch at Yulong, with an 8ft flat synthetic wicket.
Total cost of $9900 to the club.
$6600 for the new 8ft concrete (incl removal off old one) and $3300 for the half share of the 8ft synthetic.

If clubs choose to do so, they can stay at a 6 ft wide pitch.... but be wary of the fact that when replacing the synthetic the new pitches are a straight 6ft or 8ft. The aprons get cut off. So I suggest going to 8ft wide pitch.
Otherwise you will end up with a very narrow pitch like Mernda...

There has been no mention of the ongoing maintenance fees.
Part of the up front cost per pitch was to be put towards to total cost of machinery required by council to remove the covers.
What was the cost of the winter cover and storage?

What was the cost of the winter cover and storage?

There has been no discussion with Banyule council about storage costs etc.. Only the upfront payment for the new synthetic...

I think the cost for the cover was included in the $3300 for the new synthetic...from memory these pitches only used to cost about $3K for the whole pitch back when we last had them 10 years ( clubs paid about half which was around $1500). So the fact we paid $3300 as a half share this time would indicate the the cover is included in there somewhere. I didnt see the final detailed invoice so cannot be certain.

Each council is different so not sure if same applies across the region.

I see there's been no update to 'Stars of the Week' on the website since the GF last season. A bit disappointing really, it's good to read through at a glace to see top performances and I'm sure people might like seeing their name up on the list if they do well.

There have only been 3 or 4 postings on the website since the end of last season so its more than disappointing its an appalling reflection on the DVCA that they have no interest in promoting their competition to anyone let alone the people that play in the comp.
And while on that does anyone have any idea where most of the games are to be played in G1 and G4 grades this weekend?
As it seems the DVCA has no idea. Maybe they are hopeful a few grounds will grow with all this recent rain and now sunshine :)

Any chance of the DVCA allowing senior games to start whenever both sides are ready? Most of the top grades will take the hour to warm up, but in the lower grades you kinda end up standing around for 25 minutes having a smoke or sculling a coke while chinwagging with the opposition.

Any chance of the DVCA allowing senior games to start whenever both sides are ready? Most of the top grades will take the hour to warm up, but in the lower grades you kinda end up standing around for 25 minutes having a smoke or sculling a coke while chinwagging with the opposition.

Why don't you just turn up 25min later than you do?

Why don't you just turn up 25min later than you do?

What if you get caught in traffic and you're late? I'm not saying you have to start early, but I reckon you'd see a lot of lower grade games kick off at 12:30 if it was allowed. Earlier start means an earlier finish and guys might be able to get back to their clubs to watch the last hour of play for their top grades.

Ordinary effort from teams in D Grade.

Hurstbridge 2nd XI giving a walk over.

Banyule have had to suffer from two such incidents in the 1st half of this year. Missing 5 weeks of cricket including a washout before Christmas is crap.

Ordinary effort from teams in D Grade.

Hurstbridge 2nd XI giving a walk over.

Banyule have had to suffer from two such incidents in the 1st half of this year. Missing 5 weeks of cricket including a washout before Christmas is crap.
Mate that sucks. But probably more for HB than Banyule. It's worrying to have to pull your 2s, but is happening at clubs around Victoria. There is probably half a side @ HB also missing out this week because the other half are too casual to commit around Xmas. That's ~16 blokes who wanted a game of cricket this week and next who miss out.

Our club has a heap out this week too, but we've managed not to pull a side. Don't know what the answer is. People are very casual about commitment to cricket these days and in fairness probably a lot of team sports. Were it not for $$ in footy you'd see less commitment there too. Some comps allow players to split weeks, dunno if this helps, or rewards semi commitment.

A couple of things I think would help foster a better atmosphere and competition, even though they are small things; it's nice to stick around and buy a softy or a beer and have a chat with the opposition after a game when playing away, even just for 10 minutes and especially if there is a canteen and clubrooms open....not mentioning any names a club just up the road opposite a certain set of shops.

Also, if you're playing lower grades, it makes for a better game and a better competition if, no matter your skill level, you at least try to do your best, or give the impression you are trying. Not everyone is a gun of course, if you seriously don't want to be playing, just forfeit the match and go fishing. Believe me, your opposition will not be worried if they get the 6 points and get to watch their team mates play rather than standing in the field wondering why the opposition bothered to show up.

Eyesight tests for umpires and/or some type of competence exam. I'm not joking either. If you can't see a bloke snick a ball to second slip on the bounce or you give a bloke out LBW when he's dead set blocked the ball with nearly the middle of the bat, you shouldn't be umpiring.

DVCA you need to get up to date with 2017.
You assign a media manager and yet we get ************ all in terms of updates on Final's. Most people have facebook and you should be doing update's on these regularly! even update the website!!! Promote this game better for the better of the competiton

DVCA you need to get up to date with 2017.
You assign a media manager and yet we get ************ all in terms of updates on Final's. Most people have facebook and you should be doing update's on these regularly! even update the website!!! Promote this game better for the better of the competiton

Isn't the media role a paid role too?

Not much will change with Fleming still in charge, doing nothing for the betterment of the comp. Give him a call, or shoot him an email and let him know the webpage and Facebook page is a disgrace.

(Taken directly from the DVCA website)

Matthew (Joe) Fleming
(M): 0418 542 002
(E): matthew@thekimberleycollection.com.au

Back