The Mind And Wrist Spin

Please stick around Neville Young Neville Young

On this forum, we have SLA, and the rest of us are idiots who know little about legspin... I think this even extends to Shane Warne.

I wasn't aware Shane was on this forum.

There are several well-informed commenters on this forum. It tends to be a mixture of complete beginners asking questions, and then experienced cricketers and qualified coaches trying to help them out - like Liz, Tony and myself. Occasionally we get the odd beginner who gets angry because the advice given by the coaches isn't identical to something he read online or in a book somewhere, so we have to gently explain to him why that information is incorrect/out-of-date. As you can imagine, this can be quite challenging!

Anyway, if you have a question, just ask away.

Do legspinners really get so badly treated? I think the thing is, we just need a lot more practice and if captains take us off because we haven't learnt how to pitch the ball accurately (holds hands up) that's not and can't be the teams problem. I liked the article which said that legspinners should spend at least ten years solo practice in a net before they are let loose in a match, it wasn't entirely joking.

I had a nightmare game on Saturday http://www.wristspinbowling.com/blog/13th-may-basildon-and-pitsea-v-thundersley-and-hadleigh-4th-xi
The umpire at the stumps when bowling was talking to me offering encouragement as it was all falling to pieces. In the conversation he was saying that he'd been doing it for 30 years and was still trying to get it right. He didn't get to bowl either:(

I'm not sure of where you are playing SLA, but here in Melbourne in my 48 years of playing and coaching at all levels, I haven't found that to be true for here. You might come across one or at the most 2 leggies who are in their side as a bowler over an entire season, but almost every game will have an offie playing in both sides. I agree that off cutters are not off spinners as they require a totally different technique, so I'm not sure how they can be confused. If it is because you see them as bowling quicker and with a flatter trajectory that doesn't make them an off cutter. If it did then Derek Underwood wasn't a spin bowler.
Whether the ball turns away or in, shouldn't make any difference as there are attacking shot on both sides of the wicket. The bowlers ability to restrict the batsman's scoring depends more on line and length and their ability to accurately assess the batsman's strengths and weaknesses, rather than being able to move the ball away.

Yeah I've had this conversation with SLA before, he must live somewhere where the water is very different. In a whole season I might see 2 leg-spin bowlers if I'm lucky, but every team has 1 or perhaps 2 players that will tell you they are finger spinners (Offies) and then there's the occasional Left Arm finger spinner.

To a very limited extent I agree with SLA. You can certainly get much more spin and loop with a legspin action without much understanding of what you are doing. However, once you put line and length into the equation it suddenly becomes much, much more difficult and that's without mastering the various delivery types.

To a very limited extent I agree with SLA. You can certainly get much more spin and loop with a legspin action without much understanding of what you are doing. However, once you put line and length into the equation it suddenly becomes much, much more difficult and that's without mastering the various delivery types.
Tell me about 10 years now and I still serve up a pile of crap in a lot of games. The umpire last week standing at my end when I was bowling said he'd been at it for 30 years and he still couldn't get it right, he didn't get to bowl either when they fielded.:(

Tell me about 10 years now and I still serve up a pile of crap in a lot of games. The umpire last week standing at my end when I was bowling said he'd been at it for 30 years and he still couldn't get it right, he didn't get to bowl either when they fielded.:(

"The man who has at some time spun a good leg break knows a world all of its own."
Father Marriott (Kent & England)

Back