Consistent And Repeatable Action - Spin Bowling.

I've heard people, especially the coaches on pitchvision talk about the bowling arm circle with leg spinners and how Terry Jenner encouraged Shane Warne to incorporate it into his bowling. However, I don't actually understand the purpose of it, I'm hoping you can help me understand what spin bowlers achieve from using it.

What is the 'bowling arm circle'? cant seem to find anything on it.

Mark Garaway claims and I reckon there is some truth in that the full rotation of the bowling arm helps to generate more over-spin and therefore dip. Probably if combined with a vertical arm or a near vertical arm when attempting to present the seam upright in the style of a classic top-spinner or a very small turning Leg Break. Have a look at the video here of me practicing with and without a ball in my hand running up to the start of the season here in England. I'm not getting it right when the balls in my hand at the moment, but the action becomes very different when I've not got the ball. Note how my arm comes over and ends up at my pocket as Garaway says. In fact my arm goes further without the ball. But then look at it with the ball... It doesn't complete the full circle in the first slo-mo sequence it ends up in front of my body and I abruptly stop. I think it's this aspect of the action you need to avoid, a smooth fluid movement with the arm coming right through is the desired affect and helps put more spin on the ball by my reckoning.

Is there something wrong with your left foot Dave? You seem to be landing on it very gingerly

SLA early season and I've so little exercise what with the crappy Easter. Historically it's weak - a skateboard accident back in 1979 left it so that I go over on it quite easily. I think as the season goes on and summer arrives and I get out more, my legs get stronger and I feel more agile. To be honest my knees are creaky as well - just general unfitness I reckon. You're not the first to have noticed and commented.

SLA early season and I've so little exercise what with the crappy Easter. Historically it's weak - a skateboard accident back in 1979 left it so that I go over on it quite easily. I think as the season goes on and summer arrives and I get out more, my legs get stronger and I feel more agile. To be honest my knees are creaky as well - just general unfitness I reckon. You're not the first to have noticed and commented.

Try to land solidly on your whole foot, at the moment you seem to be tip-toeing through your action, which is going to completely destroy any chance of spin and pace.

Here's an introductory analysis of CP's bowling action. In this video, I go over three key stages in his bowling action. I point out the major flaws and provide him with the drills he needs to implement the changes.

Here’s a link to the full analysis http://max-andrews.thinkific.com/courses/learn-why-a-vertical-force-vector-limits-back-leg-drive. The full video analysis has included a 17-minute video analysis of CP's bowling, again he is paired up with Pravin Tambe. I discuss how he needs to learn to drive your back leg effectively and how this is achieved by loading it correctly. I also go over other critical aspects in the action to help him out. After you finish watching the full video analysis, I have included another video analysis of the drills which I recommend for CP. In this section, I make it really clear what I think needs to be done to improve CP's bowling and how these drills will assist him.

If you would like a full analysis of your bowling, please feel free to contact me.

0111467961521.original.jpg

He was right, over the next 4 or 5 matches I played in I bowled some of the best spells ever against good batsmen in some instances and took a load of wickets. Then I damaged my Achilles (Strain).
I would have thought that with your success the thing to do was not change your action but to do some exercises to stretch your Achilles. You should also check out whether you have flat feet and need arch supports as that can be a cause of recurring Achilles problems.

Seems to be when you bowl, the arm comes through and fades away having rotated a full circle and more - more like 540 degrees, instead of pulling up abruptly after you've released the ball.
I can describe what Jenner is talking about. One of my students was given a series of coaching lessons with Jenner as a present by his father for his 18th birthday (hows that for a present). The bowling arm circle is about making sure your bowling arm finishes at your opposite hip and not at or above waist height or on the same side as your bowling arm.

Last edited:
I can describe what Jenner is talking about. One of my students was given a series of coaching lessons with Jenner as a present by his father for his 18th birthday (hows that for a present). The bowling arm circle is about making sure your bowling arm finishes at your opposite hip and not at or above waist height or on the same side as your bowling arm.
My action has a tendency to be very roundarm. I've recently been trying to visualise my arm following through on the same side, to help straighten it out. This interestingly seemed to generate extra spin - although I think my arm was still finishing on the opposite side.

Back