Subbies Thread

May I respectfully suggest what you actually had in mind in respect to ''anything'' was it won't prevent outrageous amounts being outlaid by clubs who have the means to do so. If anything, the points system encourages high profile players putting high prices on their heads knowing financial restraints are not now an issue. Being a well-run comp, I think it the subbies admin will look to altering the points if they think it must be in an attempt to provide some semblence of a level playing field.

Not to mention the restriction of movement on fringe 1st XI cricketers.

Points cap at 20 and only 1 paid player, gee wiz these Caulfield boys with their loyalty are amazing. I'm sure the poorer clubs love what the champs are doing.

Not sure the loyalty will continue under a 1 paid player scheme

Points cap at 20 and only 1 paid player, gee wiz these Caulfield boys with their loyalty are amazing. I'm sure the poorer clubs love what the champs are doing.

might be a lot of teams in the competition with new coaching roles being filled.
I can see most teams now having:
* director of coaching
* Head Coach
* Assistant Coach
* Junior Development Coach
* Craig Shield Coach

That allows 5 paid positions and you can then allow the payment of one player.
The above positions should help the likes of Caulfield and Brun$wick

might be a lot of teams in the competition with new coaching roles being filled.
I can see most teams now having:
* director of coaching
* Head Coach
* Assistant Coach
* Junior Development Coach
* Craig Shield Coach

That allows 5 paid positions and you can then allow the payment of one player.
The above positions should help the likes of Caulfield and Brun$wick
As I said previously, there is always ways around this stuff

Perhaps the main motivation is to try to keep the less affluent clubs loyal to the subbies given the pressure it will endure to remain relevant as a stand-alone comp.

How does this completion compare to the 'shires' competition in Sydney?
I'm surprised with the amount of interest which this topic generates here.

CV will cut them off at the knees.

Turfie, just what else do you think CV might be able to do to make life more difficult for Subbies clubs? Removing the dividend was the final play and so far, no change. The new V2 revamp is arguably worse than V1. It's basically the VTCA unchanged, ECA unchanged, DDCA unchanged, CSB, and now the DVCA where there is stuff all turf cricket played anyway. All of these regional comps will be second rate without Subbies clubs. Most on here raise our eyebrows at Caulfield's list but the fact remains that as well as Caulfield the VSDCA comp has seen Ormond, Oakleigh, Noble Park, and Mt Waverley all have won flags in the last few years. Compare that to the old Senior VTCA where barely anyone was alive the last time Clubbies or South Caulfield didn't win it. Now that Senior has split, they both get to win it every year! Subbies aint as broke as some people want to represent and there is nothing left for CV to do but beg Subbies to come on board as without them the revamp fails. Announcing revamps as a done deal with implementation dates isn't a very good way to facilitate change.

Subbies is a well run league, however, I will be surprised if CV don't offer some sort of financial incentive for those clubs in the regional structure.

Unfortunately cricket is now driven by the dollar. With a few exceptions, those with the money can afford the better players and challenge for premierships.

Turfie, just what else do you think CV might be able to do to make life more difficult for Subbies clubs? Removing the dividend was the final play and so far, no change. The new V2 revamp is arguably worse than V1. It's basically the VTCA unchanged, ECA unchanged, DDCA unchanged, CSB, and now the DVCA where there is stuff all turf cricket played anyway. All of these regional comps will be second rate without Subbies clubs. Most on here raise our eyebrows at Caulfield's list but the fact remains that as well as Caulfield the VSDCA comp has seen Ormond, Oakleigh, Noble Park, and Mt Waverley all have won flags in the last few years. Compare that to the old Senior VTCA where barely anyone was alive the last time Clubbies or South Caulfield didn't win it. Now that Senior has split, they both get to win it every year! Subbies aint as broke as some people want to represent and there is nothing left for CV to do but beg Subbies to come on board as without them the revamp fails. Announcing revamps as a done deal with implementation dates isn't a very good way to facilitate change.

I think the majority of clubs want to compete in a division where their opponents are more or less on a similar footing to themselves. Many clubs in the regional set up would have no aspirations to play in a division of the competition where many of the clubs in it were formally in the subbies. Melbourne's population has grown to the extent regional competitions providing several divisions is achievable without the subbies participation. Most clubs couldn't care less about the clubbers and South Caulfield as they would never aspire to play in the most senior division within their region. The problem facing the subbies is that it doesn't have the numbers to provide several divisions.

I know South Caulfield won the GF very easily. But after 14 games the top 3 had all lost 3 games, all but the bottom 2 could have made finals going into the last round (admittedly an 8 team division, but that is a super format), the bottom team beat the runners up during the season – I don’t think the season was ever cut and dry, although there was a gap between the top 3 and the rest. It was the first season of the comp, but the format will allow clubs and teams to find their level. Carnegie were a good 1st XI in the 2nd division, they will do well in Championship, Parkdale were a good 1st XI in Division 2, and have been promoted, I expect them to be more than competitive in Division 1. Murrumbeena struggled and will drop back to Division 1 – but I’m sure they’ll have a better year

Contrast with VSDCA which has compulsory 4 grades. It’s alright for the stronger clubs, but you only have to flick through the ladders to see some of the teams struggled throughout every grade. (Ivanhoe won 5 games out of 52, Endeavour Hills 9, Moorabbin 14). That is where the CV model is a pretty big carrot.

A “struggling” (either with top end talent or depth) club in CSB don’t need to worry about competing with South Caulfield and their ilk. Nor having to worry about finding 44 players each and every week. They can have a team in division 2, have a one day team or a Sunday side, have 3 teams until their junior system builds up the base – great options to have when the depth isn’t there

And I can safely say, the kids at my club (and we had four U17s play 1st XI last year) have no idea about the history of the other clubs - wouldn't be worried in the slightest about playing an old subbies club in the CSB set-up, neither would we as a club

I know South Caulfield won the GF very easily. But after 14 games the top 3 had all lost 3 games, all but the bottom 2 could have made finals going into the last round (admittedly an 8 team division, but that is a super format), the bottom team beat the runners up during the season – I don’t think the season was ever cut and dry, although there was a gap between the top 3 and the rest. It was the first season of the comp, but the format will allow clubs and teams to find their level. Carnegie were a good 1st XI in the 2nd division, they will do well in Championship, Parkdale were a good 1st XI in Division 2, and have been promoted, I expect them to be more than competitive in Division 1. Murrumbeena struggled and will drop back to Division 1 – but I’m sure they’ll have a better year

Contrast with VSDCA which has compulsory 4 grades. It’s alright for the stronger clubs, but you only have to flick through the ladders to see some of the teams struggled throughout every grade. (Ivanhoe won 5 games out of 52, Endeavour Hills 9, Moorabbin 14). That is where the CV model is a pretty big carrot.

A “struggling” (either with top end talent or depth) club in CSB don’t need to worry about competing with South Caulfield and their ilk. Nor having to worry about finding 44 players each and every week. They can have a team in division 2, have a one day team or a Sunday side, have 3 teams until their junior system builds up the base – great options to have when the depth isn’t there

And I can safely say, the kids at my club (and we had four U17s play 1st XI last year) have no idea about the history of the other clubs - wouldn't be worried in the slightest about playing an old subbies club in the CSB set-up, neither would we as a club
Great post. The thing is clubs will still have the same local rivals as before and will make new ones. The travel in Melbourne now on a Saturday is horrific . Most young Subbies players are happy to go this way, it's the old boys like O'Meara , Craig and Sheehan who have their heads up their own arse. and the Secretary is President of a CSB club !

That's already happening/happened. Sunshine and RPB felt the pinch and changed to the weaker format, that's fine, they felt it was the best thing for them to do at the time. But when the gaps appeared there were multiple clubs keen to join Subbies in preference to where the were and I do see this continuing. I can't and won't speak for Ivanhoe, Endeavour or Moorabbin but they have never been chained to the VSDCA, could have moved at anytime if they wanted to and can do so anytime should they see fit. As far as I am aware they all want to saddle up and take on the Caulfields and the PVs and the Oakleighs and the Balwyns, that's want they want from their comp. The rest of it, the travel, 44 players, etc it's just noise from CV backslappers.

That's already happening/happened. Sunshine and RPB felt the pinch and changed to the weaker format, that's fine, they felt it was the best thing for them to do at the time. But when the gaps appeared there were multiple clubs keen to join Subbies in preference to where the were and I do see this continuing. I can't and won't speak for Ivanhoe, Endeavour or Moorabbin but they have never been chained to the VSDCA, could have moved at anytime if they wanted to and can do so anytime should they see fit. As far as I am aware they all want to saddle up and take on the Caulfields and the PVs and the Oakleighs and the Balwyns, that's want they want from their comp. The rest of it, the travel, 44 players, etc it's just noise from CV backslappers.
I’m happy to be a CV backslapper, because they have given us a competition that suits our situation.
And as I said, it might not be for everybody – but I reckon there’d be some clubs who would be mad to at least not consider that something like this would serve their club, and their members better. For others who consider that the VSDCA is best for their club and members, good luck to them.

I’m happy to be a CV backslapper, because they have given us a competition that suits our situation.
And as I said, it might not be for everybody – but I reckon there’d be some clubs who would be mad to at least not consider that something like this would serve their club, and their members better. For others who consider that the VSDCA is best for their club and members, good luck to them.

It's good point you make and it's one that CV would do well to take notice of. CSB was born out of club discontent with the administration of the VTCA. It wasn't a new thing, South clubs had been exiting the VTCA at pace for over 10 years. None of that applies to Subbies where member clubs have a significantly higher satisfaction with comp admin, have an appetite for the format, and a passion for the tradition and history of the comp. There is NO push for change by VSDCA clubs. Individual clubs have & can change associations anytime should they wish. For CV to bully, blackmail, and generally conspire against the comp so some pen pusher can say "yeah, I am the CV point of contact for the City of XYZ", it's distasteful at best. If CV adopted your philosophy they would just leave it alone.

Back