Subbies Thread

It's good point you make and it's one that CV would do well to take notice of. CSB was born out of club discontent with the administration of the VTCA. It wasn't a new thing, South clubs had been exiting the VTCA at pace for over 10 years. None of that applies to Subbies where member clubs have a significantly higher satisfaction with comp admin, have an appetite for the format, and a passion for the tradition and history of the comp. There is NO push for change by VSDCA clubs. Individual clubs have & can change associations anytime should they wish. For CV to bully, blackmail, and generally conspire against the comp so some pen pusher can say "yeah, I am the CV point of contact for the City of XYZ", it's distasteful at best. If CV adopted your philosophy they would just leave it alone.
How many of those clubs have come from the VJCA/VTCA, what comes around, goes around !

I’m happy to be a CV backslapper, because they have given us a competition that suits our situation.
And as I said, it might not be for everybody – but I reckon there’d be some clubs who would be mad to at least not consider that something like this would serve their club, and their members better. For others who consider that the VSDCA is best for their club and members, good luck to them.

Continuing this theme of how clubs have fared on transferring to another competition, I can tell you Sunshine were dismayed the VTCA considered them only of a standard to be fixtured in the 4th of the 5 Divisions, as was RP Broady. However, as the season progressed the mood around the club lifted as participating in finals cricket for the first time in living memory of many of the players became a realistic possibility. The club should have faced up to the reality years ago that it could not be competitive in the VSDCA but, instead, hung on until it was in a critical state of decline. It has many hard yards ahead of it, but now has the opportunity and incentive to recover, which would have been impossible had it remained in the VSDCA.
I also think there would be little opposition over here to the VTCA being disbanded in favour of a CV North West Region.

I still think very broadly there are just way too many cricket clubs in Greater Melbourne. We have suburbs with 5 or 6 cricket clubs within a 3km radius. How is that sustainable?
Hampton/Brighton area is a perfect example of this. We have about 10 clubs within a 3km radius - I live a 1 minute drive from our ground and go past 2 other clubs!

That's right Turfie, Hoppers, St Bernards, and Taylors Lakes came in. It's called promotion/relegation. What did you expect? Camberwell, Frankston, Dandenong and Doncaster to come back to Subbies?
And promotion relegation is what has made the subbies a dead comp. St Bernards only went in because of a hate of the 3 incompetents running or should I say ruining the VTCA.

And promotion relegation is what has made the subbies a dead comp. St Bernards only went in because of a hate of the 3 incompetents running or should I say ruining the VTCA.

Agreed, dead comp dominated by the same teams each year. Only still in existence because uncle jack doesn't want to see his beloved Caulfield in any other competition, dinosaurs running the VSDCA.

Subbies is a well run league, however, I will be surprised if CV don't offer some sort of financial incentive for those clubs in the regional structure.

Unfortunately cricket is now driven by the dollar. With a few exceptions, those with the money can afford the better players and challenge for premierships.

CV has contributed $123,000 towards new synthetic pitch practice facilities at Dempster Park, the balance of $100,000 being met by Council. Your post has me wondering if this support would have been forthcoming had Sunshine remained in the subbies. I guess, if the relationship with the VSDCA became toxic CV could exclude VSDCA clubs from grants. That would be an over-reaction IMO.

CV has contributed $123,000 towards new synthetic pitch practice facilities at Dempster Park, the balance of $100,000 being met by Council. Your post has me wondering if this support would have been forthcoming had Sunshine remained in the subbies. I guess, if the relationship with the VSDCA became toxic CV could exclude VSDCA clubs from grants. That would be an over-reaction IMO.
Don't worry that will happen until Phil and Jack pull their heads out of there arse

Your posts are just drivel, time to go back to the minor league pages and stay there
The fact is CV view subbies as a nothing competition that does not assist them in identifying or producing young talent. Each year handouts from them have become less and less to the point where they will stop coming. Subbies will be dead within 2 seasons

The fact is CV view subbies as a nothing competition that does not assist them in identifying or producing young talent. Each year handouts from them have become less and less to the point where they will stop coming. Subbies will be dead within 2 seasons
Agree, what do the struggling Subbies Clubs do when they get kicked off their grounds and Clubrooms because CV pulled the wallet out for local Councils?
Perhaps Subbies should look at either introducing equalisation methods or be prepared to become a 14-16 team competition

I think subbies has a genuine role in Victorian Cricket, bit it's not in player development. That is the role of Premier Cricket. If you are a decent cricketer, you need to be at a Premier Club as a teenager. Subbies is by far the best place to play cricket if you have no interest in playing for Victoria or at least going as far as you can. There are plenty of people who know they won't play for Victoria.

I think subbies has a genuine role in Victorian Cricket, bit it's not in player development. That is the role of Premier Cricket. If you are a decent cricketer, you need to be at a Premier Club as a teenager. Subbies is by far the best place to play cricket if you have no interest in playing for Victoria or at least going as far as you can. There are plenty of people who know they won't play for Victoria.
Without being rude, but why do you consider the Subbies to be “by far” the best? Talk on here about being “promoted” to subbies, and playing in CSB, “an inferior competition”. But what is the basis for this?
I'm sure there are some good players, but there are some cracking players (plenty of ex and future Premier, current 1st class) in the CSB comp, or the DDCA, or the VTCA. It’s a suburban comp, with some good players on some good grounds – as most other suburban comps are.
But if I’m playing 3s and 4s – I couldn’t give a fat rats clacker what the standard is like in the 1s. I just want a good game of cricket

Back