Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

Not long before the request for rule changes, only needs to be one discussion in my book. However the 3 Shields finish up make sure those clubs 2s all play in the same grade. If you want to keep relegation/promotion for other grades so be it but will never agree with changing the whole comp structure because 2 or 3 clubs were happy to drop players to try and win lower grade flags.

Not long before the request for rule changes, only needs to be one discussion in my book. However the 3 Shields finish up make sure those clubs 2s all play in the same grade. If you want to keep relegation/promotion for other grades so be it but will never agree with changing the whole comp structure because 2 or 3 clubs were happy to drop players to try and win lower grade flags.
How this was changed in the first place without the clubs consent it beyond me.

Bring back the Reserve grades for next season is a major priority. If clubs are prepared to stack their 2’s to win a flag good luck to them.

Wouldn't it be a hoot to see the GFs washed out on the second weekend, when there was a perfectly good Sunday to finish off the Shield GFs the weekend before.....

Changes for next year I'd like to see;

Allow D grade and below to start whenever both teams are ready, but no later than 1pm. I'm sure I'm not the only person who gets tired of waiting around for 25 minutes gas bagging to the opposition or partaking in some utterly pointless warm up activities to kill time until 1pm. Just start the bloody games.

Can everyone just use a 4 piece already. Whinge whinge the bowlers blah blah I don't care just standardize the ball for gods sake.

Start all grades on the same dates and increase lower grades to the same as the higher 8 team grades; play each team twice in a 1 day and 2 day game.

50 over 1 day matches for all. Start at 12:30 finish at 6:30, reduce tea to a quick change over / drink and bowl 5 overs from each end just having the batsman swap to cut down on wasted time.

Allow lower grade sides to have a certain number of opportunities per season to have a designated bowler and batsman. You might have blokes available 1 week and not the other, rather than have sides playing 1 down for half the game, you could designate Smith as a bowler week 1 and Brown as a batsman week 2.

Anyways, just thinking out loud...or with electrons.

Allow D grade and below to start whenever both teams are ready, but no later than 1pm. I'm sure I'm not the only person who gets tired of waiting around for 25 minutes gas bagging to the opposition or partaking in some utterly pointless warm up activities to kill time until 1pm. Just start the bloody games.

Can everyone just use a 4 piece already. Whinge whinge the bowlers blah blah I don't care just standardize the ball for gods sake.

Start all grades on the same dates and increase lower grades to the same as the higher 8 team grades; play each team twice in a 1 day and 2 day game.

50 over 1 day matches for all. Start at 12:30 finish at 6:30, reduce tea to a quick change over / drink and bowl 5 overs from each end just having the batsman swap to cut down on wasted time.

Allow lower grade sides to have a certain number of opportunities per season to have a designated bowler and batsman. You might have blokes available 1 week and not the other, rather than have sides playing 1 down for half the game, you could designate Smith as a bowler week 1 and Brown as a batsman week 2.

Anyways, just thinking out loud...or with electrons.

When have all 22 blokes in a grade below D all arrived before quarter to 1 anyway? Rarely happens.

My understanding is four piece balls aren't used in lower grades purely to keep costs down.

Agree with starting the lower grades at the same date as the higher grades. In previous years the juniors have started before the lower senior grades which I don't get.

50 overs per side one day games might work well for the higher grades, but for the lower grades a potential 100 overs out in the middle is a massive day, especially when tea and drinks are reduced.

I don't think you need designated batsmen/bowlers in the lower grades. In the lower grades, I've found all opposition captains are happy to allow a 12th man when someone can't play one week.

When have all 22 blokes in a grade below D all arrived before quarter to 1 anyway? Rarely happens.

My understanding is four piece balls aren't used in lower grades purely to keep costs down.

Agree with starting the lower grades at the same date as the higher grades. In previous years the juniors have started before the lower senior grades which I don't get.

50 overs per side one day games might work well for the higher grades, but for the lower grades a potential 100 overs out in the middle is a massive day, especially when tea and drinks are reduced.

I don't think you need designated batsmen/bowlers in the lower grades. In the lower grades, I've found all opposition captains are happy to allow a 12th man when someone can't play one week.

You'd be surprised, most teams are there before 12:30 from what I've seen playing lower grades.

The costs are not all that much different. If your club is worried about an extra few hundred dollars a year, you're already too close to going broke.

Just because they are lower grades doesn't mean blokes can't play 100 overs. You're just putting more overs into almost the same alloted time frame.

12th men are fine, but can't bat or bowl. At least if you can have designated players your 12 man can bat or bowl.

You'd be surprised, most teams are there before 12:30 from what I've seen playing lower grades.

The costs are not all that much different. If your club is worried about an extra few hundred dollars a year, you're already too close to going broke.

Just because they are lower grades doesn't mean blokes can't play 100 overs. You're just putting more overs into almost the same alloted time frame.

12th men are fine, but can't bat or bowl. At least if you can have designated players your 12 man can bat or bowl.

Those costs have to be covered though, usually through subs, which for a lot of blokes in lower grades already struggle with.

But you aren't putting more overs in the same time frame, you want to extend playing conditions an extra hour and half for lower grades (lower grades start at 1 and finish at 5:30) or an extra half an hour for higher grades (1 till 6). Like I said, 100 overs is a massive day for park cricketers.

Correct they cant bat or bowl, but realistically if you're putting your hand up for selection you should be available both weeks. If not, get a sub fielder and hope the toss goes your way IMO

Start Times - You cannot have games just starting at any old time, as weather comes into effect. 1 game gets passed the required time to begin because they started 20min early, others start on the correct time and they lose too many overs. Use the time to warm up, if you don't like it, turn up at 12:50.

4 piece ball - Huge cost difference for clubs, especially for those with 5 or more sides and totally not needed for lower grades.

Start dates - You need to think about the whole comp and not just yourself. Coming back after the Christmas break, there are a number of families still away as it is school holidays. Meaning that players (fathers, school age kids) will ultimately not be playing, meaning that clubs are struggling to fill numbers at the bottom end of their sides. Now, I know you will argue this point, but again think of other people and clubs. Not just yourself.

50 overs - Not enough time in the day, and shortening the breaks isn't a solution. If you want to play more overs, pull your finger out and stop playing in lower grades bullying kids.

In the ECA (where I currently am) they have a "Super Sub" rule. That being that where players can only play 1 week, you can sub a player in for the other week - Player 1 plays week 1, Player 2 plays week 2. The catch can be though, that you must declare that you are doing so via the team sheet given to the opposite captain BEFORE the toss. So you could have the bowler the week you're batting, and the batter the week you're bowling. So you run the gauntlet a bit. We used it heaps through out the season, which I found it to be great. Rather than a 1st XI player dropping down and bullying a lower grade. But also means that the clubs aren't again searching for players.

Start dates - You need to think about the whole comp and not just yourself. Coming back after the Christmas break, there are a number of families still away as it is school holidays. Meaning that players (fathers, school age kids) will ultimately not be playing, meaning that clubs are struggling to fill numbers at the bottom end of their sides. Now, I know you will argue this point, but again think of other people and clubs. Not just yourself.

I know what you are saying, plus you have guys away with footy trips etc, etc. And this year I believe the lower grades started at the same time as the juniors. But I remember last year the juniors went back before the lower senior grades which isn't a good look

Start Times - You cannot have games just starting at any old time, as weather comes into effect. 1 game gets passed the required time to begin because they started 20min early, others start on the correct time and they lose too many overs. Use the time to warm up, if you don't like it, turn up at 12:50.

4 piece ball - Huge cost difference for clubs, especially for those with 5 or more sides and totally not needed for lower grades.

50 overs - Not enough time in the day, and shortening the breaks isn't a solution. If you want to play more overs, pull your finger out and stop playing in lower grades bullying kids.

In the ECA (where I currently am) they have a "Super Sub" rule. That being that where players can only play 1 week, you can sub a player in for the other week - Player 1 plays week 1, Player 2 plays week 2. The catch can be though, that you must declare that you are doing so via the team sheet given to the opposite captain BEFORE the toss. So you could have the bowler the week you're batting, and the batter the week you're bowling. So you run the gauntlet a bit. We used it heaps through out the season, which I found it to be great. Rather than a 1st XI player dropping down and bullying a lower grade. But also means that the clubs aren't again searching for players.

I'm not worried about that issue with the start times, call it an act of god. I mean the same thing can still happen between the quality of the ground or even the distance between matches; it might hiss down in Panton Hill but be dry as a bone in Heidelberg. It would just be another variable you accept.

It's not a huge cost difference, besides the teams you allude to that might have 5 or 6 senior sides are probably paying through the nose for imports and other club hopping blood suckers in their top grades, so the little bit extra for the ball doesn't concern me much.

So come back from holidays a week earlier....and really, it's 1 week. You make it sound like it's a month. Doesn't stop the season from starting at the same time for all grades though does it?

I think there's plenty of time in the day for 50 over 1 day matches if you do what I suggest. As for me, well I can only play where I'm picked unless I seek opportunities elsewhere, which is honestly not beyond the realms of possibility, fitness pending.

Don't mind that super sub thing.

Instead of 100 overs in a day, the lower grades should play 20/20. Quick , fun, and gives opportunities for other players instead of first X1 to play 20/20.The game is evolving - the DVCA needs to grow some balls and bring this in.

Instead of 100 overs in a day, the lower grades should play 20/20. Quick , fun, and gives opportunities for other players instead of first X1 to play 20/20.The game is evolving - the DVCA needs to grow some balls and bring this in.
Don’t know about 20/20 for lower grades. A lot of young kids play in the lower grades and I don’t think it would be great for their development or opportunities to be playing 20/20 cricket every week. I do think that all grades below, say D/E grade should potentially be one day comps. Before you say there’s not much difference, I think the opportunity to build an innings is more available in 40 over innings, compared to T20.

I don’t mind opening up 20/20 cricket to more but players. But I’m not sure that the regular season is the way to do it. I agree with what was mentioned earlier that it’s not necessarily in the best interested in regards to young player development. Also finals cricket is 2 day cricket so teams should be playing as much of that as possible during the season IMO

I don’t mind opening up 20/20 cricket to more but players. But I’m not sure that the regular season is the way to do it. I agree with what was mentioned earlier that it’s not necessarily in the best interested in regards to young player development. Also finals cricket is 2 day cricket so teams should be playing as much of that as possible during the season IMO

This is spot on for me. T20's at local level are a farce, it promotes crap cricket, and most games are one sided boring events. I would rather see a T20 grade brought in than to see T20 games in the fixture. That way people who want a quick hit and giggle can play.

This is spot on for me. T20's at local level are a farce, it promotes crap cricket, and most games are one sided boring events. I would rather see a T20 grade brought in than to see T20 games in the fixture. That way people who want a quick hit and giggle can play.
Or keep the Tuesday night regional T20 comp and if there’s enough demand have a seperate DVCA mid-week T20 comp

Back