Vtca Season 2017/18 & 2018/19

If they did finish in bottom 2 they would pay one of the clubs coming up to stay down another year
If they did finish in bottom 2 they would pay one of the clubs coming up to stay down another year

Rumour circulating in the Yarraville area they may overcome the relegation issue by joining the subbies! Personally, I doubt it but on the other hand it's the subbies intention to seek 4 additional clubs. Looking at the performances of some of the subbies clubs of late they would be better off affiliating elsewhere. Since the abolition of the dividend a number of subbies clubs are doing it tough. You can say what you like about the VTCA but it is undeniable clubs in the North and West can find a level of competition within it that will allow them to be competitive and financially viable.

From Leader Local cricket page.

The Victorian Turf Cricket Association (VTCA) is yet to sign on, with president Steve McNamara prepared for his competition to go it alone.
He pointed to the fact the five leagues that had signed on competed on hard wickets, while the VTCA is a turf competition.
McNamara said the VTCA was due to meet with CV again in coming weeks and had not signed due to legal advice.
CV said it would “continue to progress discussions with the VTCA with a view to them joining the other associations … in the heads of agreement at a future date”.
The regional strategy expanded on the blueprint CV laid out for turf cricket in 2014 and is aimed at bringing together all senior turf, hard-wicket cricket and junior competitions.
Each region will be administered by an executive committee and a head of cricket responsible for areas including local government relations, finance and sponsorship.
CV will fund the head of cricket positions.

From Leader Local cricket page.

The Victorian Turf Cricket Association (VTCA) is yet to sign on, with president Steve McNamara prepared for his competition to go it alone.
He pointed to the fact the five leagues that had signed on competed on hard wickets, while the VTCA is a turf competition.
McNamara said the VTCA was due to meet with CV again in coming weeks and had not signed due to legal advice.
CV said it would “continue to progress discussions with the VTCA with a view to them joining the other associations … in the heads of agreement at a future date”.
The regional strategy expanded on the blueprint CV laid out for turf cricket in 2014 and is aimed at bringing together all senior turf, hard-wicket cricket and junior competitions.
Each region will be administered by an executive committee and a head of cricket responsible for areas including local government relations, finance and sponsorship.
CV will fund the head of cricket positions.

The ''legal advice'' is still within the family circle--from Steve's son. Hardly independent advice!! The Clubbers favour the regional concept in principle but the intransigence of the VTCA executive to move forward with this concept may mean it will lose patience and be attracted to considering the subbies. I do believe it needs a greater challenge than the VTCA can currently offer. Maybe the same can be said of Doutta and, perhaps, is a reason for Strathmore seeking to join the subbies.

I am not well informed on VTCA matters--I wouldn't know Steve McNamara if I fell over him, but can anyone better informed than me tell me why, given none of the posts I have read about the McNamara entourage have been flattering, that they appear to be re-elected year-in year-out at the AGM?
There is no point clubs moaning and groaning about the VTCA's admin yet not being prepared to put forward alternative candidates at the AGM. Is that the actual situation to this point in time?
If VTCA clubs are so unhappy with the present admin, but not willing to put forward alternative candidates, I suggest they direct their concerns to CV asking for advice ( such as would CV be willing to set up a NW competition inviting existing VTCA clubs to join).

I am not well informed on VTCA matters--I wouldn't know Steve McNamara if I fell over him, but can anyone better informed than me tell me why, given none of the posts I have read about the McNamara entourage have been flattering, that they appear to be re-elected year-in year-out at the AGM?
There is no point clubs moaning and groaning about the VTCA's admin yet not being prepared to put forward alternative candidates at the AGM. Is that the actual situation to this point in time?
If VTCA clubs are so unhappy with the present admin, but not willing to put forward alternative candidates, I suggest they direct their concerns to CV asking for advice ( such as would CV be willing to set up a NW competition inviting existing VTCA clubs to join).
And that’s why the South clubs left!!
From my club’s perspective we tried to make suggestions and changes (laws etc) which were ignored – what seemed like a more than viable alternative option came up and we jumped at it.
If there is any change to happen, in my mind the clubs need to drive it. Take the VTCA out of the discussion. If 25-30 clubs got together and said “what we have now is not working and could be done better, CV – what can you do for us”, change would occur. And the VTCA committee could continue to operate yelling at people at the meetings and charging them way too much – except they wouldn’t have anybody in their association!!

You wouldn't fall over him as he hasn't been spotted for a few years. CV should just cut them off and start again.

And that’s why the South clubs left!!
From my club’s perspective we tried to make suggestions and changes (laws etc) which were ignored – what seemed like a more than viable alternative option came up and we jumped at it.
If there is any change to happen, in my mind the clubs need to drive it. Take the VTCA out of the discussion. If 25-30 clubs got together and said “what we have now is not working and could be done better, CV – what can you do for us”, change would occur. And the VTCA committee could continue to operate yelling at people at the meetings and charging them way too much – except they wouldn’t have anybody in their association!!

Not trying to nit pick but the main question Westy asked remains unanswered, why hasn't someone from one of these many disaffected clubs, South, North or West, provided an alternative at an AGM? To casual observers, it is mystifying.

Last edited:
Not trying to nit pick but the main question Westy asked remains unanswered, why hasn't someone from one of these many disaffected clubs, South, North or West, provided an alternative at an AGM? To casual observers, it is mystifying.
It’s a fair comment, it probably goes to the heart of why people would jump on an association committee (and why having a set-up like CSB provides such a brilliant alternative)
We, as members of the association tried to make the comp better suited to our ideals.
We were ignored

I’ll speak for myself, If I’m going to get on an association committee then I’d really need to give up any connection with my club. I’m not prepared to do that. I only have limited time – but I thought given they are representative of the member clubs the VTCA would at least be receptive to receiving ideas, and at least operate according to their rules. This didn’t happen – and an alternative opened up (which means that discounting every other positive of the CSB) we get people whose job it is to run the comp. We don’t have to worry about the Treasurer or Secretary being the last bloke/woman to put his hand down, or people who are just chasing honourariums. It is their job to do everything, and we get a professionally run support network in every facet.
I suppose other people are in the same boat – but I can’t really comment for them. But I know some people I spoke to tried to change it as members of the comp, and got nowhere

The question I’d ask, is why on earth would somebody stay in the role of being a volunteer administrator when the state governing body is willing to run it with people who will be doing a full-time job.
  • Do they really think they will do a better job than a professional, full-time sports administrator?
  • Do they really think CV are trying to wreck the game?
  • Do they get a bit more out of it than they are letting on?
No idea what the answer is

It’s a fair comment, it probably goes to the heart of why people would jump on an association committee (and why having a set-up like CSB provides such a brilliant alternative)
We, as members of the association tried to make the comp better suited to our ideals.
We were ignored

I’ll speak for myself, If I’m going to get on an association committee then I’d really need to give up any connection with my club. I’m not prepared to do that. I only have limited time – but I thought given they are representative of the member clubs the VTCA would at least be receptive to receiving ideas, and at least operate according to their rules. This didn’t happen – and an alternative opened up (which means that discounting every other positive of the CSB) we get people whose job it is to run the comp. We don’t have to worry about the Treasurer or Secretary being the last bloke/woman to put his hand down, or people who are just chasing honourariums. It is their job to do everything, and we get a professionally run support network in every facet.
I suppose other people are in the same boat – but I can’t really comment for them. But I know some people I spoke to tried to change it as members of the comp, and got nowhere

The question I’d ask, is why on earth would somebody stay in the role of being a volunteer administrator when the state governing body is willing to run it with people who will be doing a full-time job.
  • Do they really think they will do a better job than a professional, full-time sports administrator?

Agree that having the time and the inclination is necessary and not everyone has either let alone both. It's just strange that the situation persists when there is so much criticism of the incumbents. That sort of disquiet usually motivates someone to challenge but seems not the case in the VTCA. Will be interesting to see what the VTCA looks like in 5 years time and how those legacies will read.

We were ignored

Do the VTCA exec get paid? They have their own Shields named after them.

Deeply grateful for the responses to my post. Such was the size of the VTCA before CSB I can well understand the reluctance of officials of member clubs to challenge the incumbents. Although it now has fewer clubs, the time and sacrifice club officials would need to make would still be considerable and, as rat'n'bat has pointed out, may mean their needing to cease an admin role with their club.
I have no problem with reasonable honorariums for persons undertaking responsible and time-consuming roles, but on the other hand, if CV was to offer an alternative comp I should imagine honorariums would be much less of an issue. I fully agree with rat'nbats sentiments that CV management is the logical way going forward. As said by RTG, It will be interesting to see what the VTCA looks like in 5 years time.

An email from Steve McNamara dated 30 November 2018 addressed to the clubs' presidents has come into my possession.
It reads: " I refer to an email circulated to you by Mr. Mark Keating, representing the North West Zone Consultative Committee/WRJCA dated November 22, 2018. Mr. Keating asks clubs to review the attached document, discuss at committee level and tender a vote of yes or no in relation to the signing of the Heads of Agreement document moving into the next stage of that process.
I refer to the documents of which he had attached which indicated within them that the VTCA are a participant to the agreement. This is absolutely NOT THE CASE and is misleading and possibly fraudulent.
At the most recent meeting of the group Mrs. Josie McNamara informed Cricket Victoria and the North West Zone Committee that after seeking substantial legal advice on the matter, the VTCA Board of Management have elected at this time not to sign the Heads of Agreement as we still have a considerable number of concerns as to how this will impact turf cricket and particularly clubs with more than one turf ground in the future. Cricket Victoria's response was to terminate Josie's participation on the committee moving forward with immediate effect.
To ensure the ongoing viability and strength of turf cricket, we as a board are continuing to explore all opportunities to maintain that clubs with turf cricket grounds will not be disadvantaged in any future amalgamations of hard hard wicket and junior competitions respectively.
We continue to maintain ongoing talks with other major turf cricket associations who share similar concerns to ours in relation to what is being proposed by the Cricket Victoria model.
Interestingly, this concept was put out to all state cricket associations across Australia and was rejected immediately by each state's board.
I implore all VTCA clubs to ensure that if you wish to vote on the proposal as requested by Mr. Keating, that you do so as your junior entity only. The VTCA Board will be addressing clubs soon on our major concerns in being a signatory to this Heads of Agreement and I would ask you to refrain from making any vote until we have formed a meeting to do so.
If you have any queries, please feel free to contact me to discuss this matter further.
Yours in Cricket,
Steve McNamara
VTCA President"

I have no particular interest in this matter and am not at all across the subject matters so cannot assist in clarifying the issues covered. I must leave you to draw your own conclusions

Josie Mac , has absolutely no idea on anything cricket related !

The outcome of CV's action in respect to Josie McNamara is the VTCA now has no representation on the North West Zone Consultative Committee. I think that ought to be of concern to VTCA affiliated clubs. Very few appear to have members participating in this forum. The responses I am getting appear in the main to be from persons whose clubs have switched allegiances to CSB. Over time, it will become evident whether this is due to apathy or other reasons.

An email from Steve McNamara dated 30 November 2018 addressed to the clubs' presidents has come into my possession.

Interestingly, this concept was put out to all state cricket associations across Australia and was rejected immediately by each state's board.

Yours in Cricket,
Steve McNamara
VTCA President"
My understanding is that this isn't the case - nobody rejected it, a couple of states are moving forward with it

My understanding is that this isn't the case - nobody rejected it, a couple of states are moving forward with it

warriors post on this page,#84, states CV said it would ''continue to progress discussions with the VTCA with a view to them joining other associations .... in the heads of agreement at a future date.''
This conciliatory response seems at odds with the fact CV has terminated Josie McNamara's participation on the North West Zone Committee following the VTCA having made it evident it was not at this time prepared to assent to signing the Heads of Agreement document. I just cannot believe CV will exhibit endless patience with the VTCA in the absence of positive outcomes.
In future discussions with CV the VTCA executive will, of course, be aware of the precedent set by CV in the formation of CSB to meet the needs of disaffected VTCA clubs in the Bayside area. I am in no position to know if the clubs remaining in the VTCA are happy or unhappy with its present administration. Perhaps the VTCA executive considers that the majority of clubs are not dissatisfied with its administration and, therefore, can confidently continue with its ''go it alone'' stance.

warriors post on this page,#84, states CV said it would ''continue to progress discussions with the VTCA with a view to them joining other associations .... in the heads of agreement at a future date.''
This conciliatory response seems at odds with the fact CV has terminated Josie McNamara's participation on the North West Zone Committee following the VTCA having made it evident it was not at this time prepared to assent to signing the Heads of Agreement document. I just cannot believe CV will exhibit endless patience with the VTCA in the absence of positive outcomes.
In future discussions with CV the VTCA executive will, of course, be aware of the precedent set by CV in the formation of CSB to meet the needs of disaffected VTCA clubs in the Bayside area. I am in no position to know if the clubs remaining in the VTCA are happy or unhappy with its present administration. Perhaps the VTCA executive considers that the majority of clubs are not dissatisfied with its administration and, therefore, can confidently continue with its ''go it alone'' stance.
Clubs are living in fear.

Back