1st ODI: Bangladesh v Zimbabwe

C

cleazer

1st ODI: Bangladesh v Zimbabwe

Well, Bangladesh had a pretty good victory in their Twenty20 match a few days ago. Now these two countries begin a 5 ODI series.

Not only is this preparation for the World Cup for both of these teams, but it is also a battle for 9th place in the ODI standings. Currently, Bangladesh are holding onto the 9th place position, but if Zimbabwe perform well in this series, they'll have the opportunity to take 9th away from them. (Zimbabwe need to win the series 3-2 to move up to 9th place.)

Cricinfo doesn't seem to have any coverage for this match set up yet, but according to a few Bangladesh sites I checked out, this should be starting in about 2 hours.

Re: 1st ODI: Bangladesh v Zimbabwe

Good opening partnership from Zimbabwe, but Razzak finnaly broke it.

Zimbabwe 81-2 after 21.3

For anyone who wants to watch it LIVE for FREE streaming on the internet, go here:
Live From Bangladesh - Channel i

Taylor finally out.
Zimbabwe 91-3 after 25 overs

that was Rafique's 100th ODI wicket.

at 91-3 at the halfway point, Zimbabwe have to pick up the pace if they want to post a good total

Saqibul gets Masakadza to hit it to Mortaza, and it's almost an exact replay of Taylor flying out to Aftab!

Zimbabwe 95-4

Ah, the old wicket-during-the-commercial-break trick!

Go figure, I guess Saqibul got Justice Chibhabha,
Zimbabwe 100-5 and in some trouble now,
they're running out of batsmen

Wow, glad I don't live in Bangaldesh, this channel shows way too many commercials!

Okay, I just checked out some Bangladeshi boards, and they're going crazy about all these commercials too. Apparently Channel-i is having some sort of problems with their signal. Hopefully they'll get it fixed and start showing cricket again.

Zimbabwe 125-5 after 37

They're getting nowhere fast.

Zimbabwe 153-6 after 45

Doesn't look like they'll reach 200 here

edit: now 158-7 after 46, and now it looks nearly certain that they won't reach 200

Zimbabwe finish their overs 184-9.
Taylor was top scorer with 38, while Abdur Razzak took 4 wickets and Rafique and Saqibul took 2 each.

They seem to be having some sort of cricket discussion panel on the Bangladesh tv right now, so hopefully this means they'll be able to get the signal working when Bangladesh start batting in about 30 minutes.

Shocking news here, it looks like Channel-i finally got their signal sorted out.
If anyone wants to watch for free over the internet, the link in the second post is now showing cricket again.

Bangladesh 98-1 after 28.4 overs.
They're not exactly scoring a lot of runs, but with only one wicket lost, they shouldn't have any trouble at all reaching Zimbabwe's weak target.

And just as I type that, Aftab hits a six!
Bangladesh 104-1 from 29 overs.

Mehrab Hossain was out for 14.
Nafees on 67*, Aftab on 19*.

You've got to be kidding. They finally get the feed of the cricket game to work, and now they're choosing to show some political talk show instead.

How frustrating.

Bangladesh 168-1 after 42 overs.
They need 17 more to win.

Aftab got his half century, he's up to 54
Nafees is up to 94

The only questions left now are whether or not these two will finish it off themselves, and whether Nafees will get his century before Aftab beats him to the win.

A huge win for Bangladesh!
They finished 186-1, Nafees got his century, up to 105, and Aftab made it to 60, both remaining unbeaten. Bangladesh win by 9 wickets. It took them 45.3 overs, but the result seemed assurred for a long time here.

Bangladesh take a 1-0 lead in this series.

That's the 3rd ODI century for Nafees, and actually his second in a row, with the last one also coming against Zimbabwe in the Champions Trophy. Two centuries in a row, not bad for a 20-year-old.

cleazer;118232 said:
A huge win for Bangladesh!
They finished 186-1, Nafees got his century, up to 105, and Aftab made it to 60, both remaining unbeaten. Bangladesh win by 9 wickets. It took them 45.3 overs, but the result seemed assurred for a long time here.

Bangladesh take a 1-0 lead in this series.

That's the 3rd ODI century for Nafees, and actually his second in a row, with the last one also coming against Zimbabwe in the Champions Trophy. Two centuries in a row, not bad for a 20-year-old.

The more I see of Zimbabwe, the more I feel that perhaps they do not deserve Test status back next year. I think that at lest the top 3 Associates could well beat them and that the ICC would be better off forcing them to play in the Intercontinental Cup to prove themselves before they are allowed back into Test cricket. I know tests and the one day game are very different, but...

Chemosit;118373 said:
The more I see of Zimbabwe, the more I feel that perhaps they do not deserve Test status back next year. I think that at lest the top 3 Associates could well beat them and that the ICC would be better off forcing them to play in the Intercontinental Cup to prove themselves before they are allowed back into Test cricket. I know tests and the one day game are very different, but...
I was thinking they'd have a tough time with Associates too, but then they went out and whipped Canada and Bermuda earlier this year, and I feel they've actually improved since then.

We'll see how they do against Bangladesh in the upcoming 3- and 4-day games, and against the Associates in the World Cup next year.

Didn't we hear that Taibu might come back too?

Zimbabwe are an utter joke. Seriously, if they put up this crap when they get their test status back, then I doubt any of the games will go beyond three days.

I don't know how the ICC can justify giving them their test status back next year when they are clearly not capable of performing at this level. Bangladesh aren't that much stronger than Zimbabwe but to get belted by 9 wickets shows how bad a state Zimbabwe cricket is in.

This is getting ridiculous. The ICC needs to step in here and do something to get rid of the dictatorship that is running this Zimbabwe cricket.

Of the last 25 tests Zimbabwe played, they won one (and drew three).
In their last 6 tests, they lost 5 by an innings and in the other one they made India bat a second time to score a measly 19 runs:
SA lost inn & 21r
SA lost inn & 62r
NZ lost inn & 294r
NZ lost inn & 46r
Ind lost inn & 90r
Ind lost 10 wickets
That said, it's not about what they did a few years ago, it's about how well they perform next year.

cleazer;118466 said:
Of the last 25 tests Zimbabwe played, they won one (and drew three).
In their last 6 tests, they lost 5 by an innings and in the other one they made India bat a second time to score a measly 19 runs:

That said, it's not about what they did a few years ago, it's about how well they perform next year.

I don't think they will have improved since they last played a test. In fact, I think they'll have gotten worse.

We will all find out when they play a couple of longer games against Bangladesh. Even if Zimbabwe play poorly, the ICC will still give them their test status back. When that happens, it will be like having a bye.

Back