1st Test: South Africa vs Pakistan at Centurion

Ljp86

Staff member
1st Test: South Africa vs Pakistan at Centurion

First game started a few minutes ago with the much awaited return of Mohammed Asif from his drugs (non) suspension. No Akhtar yet but he shall return in the future I suspect. South Africa come off a come from behind series win against India, they showed great from in the last two tests with Shaun Pollock having a marked influence on the series with both bat and ball. It also saw a return to form of some sorts for Graeme Smith who had some valuble time in the middle during the third test.

This is game is very significant for Mark Boucher, it is his 100th test.

Pakistan come into this series surrounded by controversy. After having let Akhtar and Asif off the hook regarding their drugs breaches, the PCB has been under intense pressure and scrutniy over their decision. We'll see if that has any impact on the team. Mohammad Yousuf has been in awesome form and will be the real danger man for South Africa.

This series will be crucial for both sides, especially with the World Cup only two months away. Get set for a great series.

South Africa XI: GC Smith, AB de Villiers, HM Amla, JH Kallis, HH Gibbs, AG Prince, MV Boucher, SM Pollock, AJ Hall, A Nel, M Ntini

Pakistan XI: Mohammad Nafeez, Imran Farhat, Yasir Hameed, Younis Khan, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Faisal Iqbal, Kamran Akmal, Shahid Nazir, Naved-ul-Hasan, Danish Kaneria, Mohammad Asif

Umpires: SA Bucknor and BR Doctrove
3rd Umpire: KH Hurter

Weather:

(All Temperatures in Degrees Celcius)

Thursday: Partly Cloudy, 26
Friday: Partly Cloudy, 27
Saturday: Cloudy, 23
Sunday: Sunny, 26
Monday: Partly Cloudy, 26

Game has already commenced.

Re: 1st Test: South Africa vs Pakistan at Centurion

Drugs !! ...But you'd think he'd be in the starting 11 ?

Pakistan 242-5 after day 1.

A pretty even match-up so far.

cleazer;127745 said:
Pakistan 242-5 after day 1.

A pretty even match-up so far.
Pakistan was on top until late, they collapsed a bit

Inzi out for 42.
Pakistan 256-6 after 88 overs.

The momentum is slipping further and further away from Pakistan. If they're not careful, they'll be all out right after they reach 300.

As expected, Pakistan all out for 313.

South Africa 203-4 after 60 overs, with Prince and Gibbs the current batsmen.

South Africa have progressed to 9/415 with Pollock at the crease on 37 and Ntini with him on 5. Hashim Amla made a great 71 yesterday and today Ashwell Prince racked up another century making a fine 138 with Herschelle Gibbs out for 94.

Despite drugs clouds hanging over his head, Mohammed Asif has taken 4/88 with Danish Kaneria 3/96. Naved-ul-Hasan has the other two wickets.

Asif got Ntini to get a total of 5 wickets!

South Africa out for 417, that was good for a lead of 104.

Pakistan 103-2 at stumps on Day 3. So they trail by 1 run with 8 wickets remaining.

Pakistan will certainly feel like they're still alive in this match, but I have to think that if South Africa can pick up an early wicket or 3 tomorrow, they'll be in an extremely commanding position.

Looks like a pretty good game, Pakistan need another 400 runs tommorow then give themselves a day to bowl out SA

What promised to be an interesting game at the end of Day 3 has turned out to be a bit of a fizzer. South Africa have well and truly been on top today and have played very good cricket.

Pakistan are 6/199 in their second innings, a lead of just 94. So far, Pakistan have only scored 95 runs from 45.2 overs on Day 4. Imran Farhat made 65 and Younis Khan 38 but the only other contriubtion was from Inzamam with 35 runs.

South Africa has bowled consistently all day with very good lines and length hence Pakistan's struggle to score runs. Pollock, Harris and Kallis all have 2 wickets each.

Pakistan all out for 302, good for a lead of only 198 runs.

South Africa finished Day 4 at 69/2, just losing Graeme Smith in the final over. They only need 130 more runs tomorrow, so it should turn out to be a fairly easy victory.

Pakistan wont have lost the match only if umpires were impartial
but no it was impossible to get something out of those two
this is not fair
n as to andre nel ,i think he has any mental problem.
gibbs made no suggestion y he disliked Pakistan spectators so much?
was it 'cause they were dancing at their feet>
dont they worry shoaib akhtar will come n tell them everything they have misunderstood

cleazer;128417 said:
Pakistan all out for 302, good for a lead of only 198 runs.

South Africa finished Day 4 at 69/2, just losing Graeme Smith in the final over. They only need 130 more runs tomorrow, so it should turn out to be a fairly easy victory.

yes n everything just favours them na?
umpires too...!!
huh

pidgeon fan;127684 said:
Was Aktar out because of injury or form?

nah only 'cause they misunderstood his fitness thot he was not fit but later when PCB chairman watched him play he was then chosen n by the way he is playing in next test inshallah (hope so)

So what exactly was the racial slur?
The line I saw quoted was spmething along the lines of "they're a bunch of animals".
From my standpoint, that doesn't sounds racially motivated at all, and could be used to describe any group of fans of any race, even a friendly one.
Am I missing something?
Is there video or audio on youtube of the incident?

I saw the audio on Fox Sports News. Gibbs got annoyed at the Pakistani crowd apparently bagging out Ntini, and in between 2 overs he said to "get these bunch of animals back to the zoo' and called the spectators 'F*ckin Pakistanis'. Thats why hes in so much trouble. Since he was supposedly saying this to the crowd members, a 2 Test ban is a little harsh.

i watched it at espn its just so humiliating
what gibbs reckons he and others r?
wanted to kik em in face at the spot
waiting for shoaib akhtar to break his nose

trescothick101;128908 said:
Thats why hes in so much trouble.
Ah, I see. That's enough to get in trouble all right.

Back