2014/2015 Money Shield

Similar thing happened against us a couple of years ago in a one day game. Skips was 60 not out and we won the game by 30 or 40. Nothing skips could of done in that game, we realised after the he saw the new ball off we were a better chance of winning by giving him the single and getting the rest of the team out. Put 5 on the boundary it's going to be hard for anyone to find it, may well of been what Lalor did on Saturday. I believe O'connor couldn't bat on Saturday so that certainly didn't help Eltham's cause.

Who would have picked this ladder after 5 games into 2014-2015

Diamond Valley Cricket Association - Money Shield
RANK TEAM
1 Banyule 5 1 3 0 1 0 44 727 68 613 28 1.8329 U
2 Heidelberg 5 1 3 0 1 0 41 898 52 892 28 1.2768 U
3 Eltham 5 0 4 0 1 0 28 770 59 855 24 1.8977 U
4 Lalor Stars 5 0 4 0 1 0 30 1044 48 982 24 1.7010 U
5 Mernda 5 0 4 0 1 0 38 1046 47 802 24 1.6131 U
6 Greensborough 5 0 3 0 2 0 36 829 61 871 18 1.6127 U
7 Montmorency 5 0 2 0 3 0 42 642 37 704 12 0.8034 U
8 Lower Plenty 5 0 2 0 2 1 47 845 43 1040 12 0.7434 U
9 Mill Park 5 0 1 0 4 0 55 1027 43 806 6 0.9962 U
10 Camrea Taipans 5 0 1 0 3 1 66 826 41 861 6 0.5960 U
11 Hurstbridge 5 0 1 0 4 0 62 849 39 922 6 0.5792 U
12 North Eltham Wanderers 5 0 0 0 5 0 67 874 18 1029 0 0.2282 U

Banyule have only played teams that are 7/8/9/10/11 on the ladder and play 12th this week , meaning it will only get harder after Round 6
Round 7 v Eltham , Round 8 v Mernda , Round 9 v Lalor Stars , Round 10 v Greensborough , Round 11 v Heidelberg could see them drop out quite easily

spot on. Some teams are clever enough to do that some aren't. All I found a little confusing was that with only 12 to win not one of the tail could hang around and that skips seemingly couldn't farm the strike or manipulate the situation enough. Then again credit probably goes to Lalor. Don't think that discredits his effort but he was the only one who could win the game for them TE="Right Arm Trundler, post: 569980,
Similar thing happened against us a couple of years ago in a one day game. Skips was 60 not out and we won the game by 30 or 40. Nothing skips could of done in that game, we realised after the he saw the new ball off we were a better chance of winning by giving him the single and getting the rest of the team out. Put 5 on the boundary it's going to be hard for anyone to find it, may well of been what Lalor did on Saturday. I believe O'connor couldn't bat on Saturday so that certainly didn't help Eltham's cause.
spoy
5977"]Similar thing happened against us a couple of years ago in a one day game. Skips was 60 not out and we won the game by 30 or 40. Nothing skips could of done in that game, we realised after the he saw the new ball off we were a better chance of winning by giving him the single and getting the rest of the team out. Put 5 on the boundary it's going to be hard for anyone to find it, may well of been what Lalor did on Saturday. I believe O'connor couldn't bat on Saturday so that certainly didn't help Eltham's cause.[/QUOTE]

All the best to Phil Hughes. Nasty, terrible thing to happen. Got nothing to do with dvca but for those who remember what happened to Shaun cavanagh many years ago, it's a frightful reminder of the sometimes cruel nature of sport, especially cricket!

1/90 in 60 overs! Really heidelberg? Smacked by mernda and Eltham #realitycheck #pretenders. On a completely different subject anyone willing to give their feedback on how they thought the cricket went these last 2 weeks? Many bouncers bowled? The chats in the. changerooms and with opposition players?

Last edited:
The leading wicket takers in Money Shield is interesting:

1. Scott Gibbs 24
2. North Eltham Wanderers 23
3. Michael Hannan 21
4. Dulip Liyanage 18
5. Paul Higgins 18
6. Ajay Sood 18
7. Jamie Scott 18

Who's going to get the most for season 2014/15?

I think Gibbs, but don't write off North Eltham Wanderers just yet. They do have a whole team.

What's going on with Lower Plenty? Chasing 291 they bat 65 overs for 153. That's a run rate of 2.35. Pathetic really. And it appears to be a team strategy they have followed for the last couple of seasons.

How are you going to win games if you never try?

Had to be done to avoid outright, other than not getting bowled on the first day what else could you do?
Id say there was a lot you could have done! Id imagine there were a few guys in the sheds not happy to not get a bat and if you follow the lower plenty example you wont get much respect in this comp! Its not like eltham were 100 plus runs in front and its also not like eltham should run through you twice! Especially if you apply yourself, but tick it over.. Seen plenty of teams reverse outright from your position on the weekend!

Really!!! What happened there? Tongs?

We arrived at the ground on Saturday morning to find that someone/people had spent a significant amount of time in completely ripping up the carpet on one end of the cricket pitch, and dumping it on the other end.

Therefore, with the game almost being a restart with the scores near on even, the DVCA made the decision to move the game to another venue. Just a shame that only one club wanted to make a game of it.

Massive round this week heading into the break. How will the mighty bears fare against an opposition that is above 7th on the ladder? How will Heidelberg fare after their hiding against Eltham? Mernda plodding along nicely under the radar..

The final four at the conclusion of this season will be heavily influenced by the results of this round.

Ladder as it stands
Banyule 34 Points VS Eltham
Eltham 30 Points VS Banyule
Lalor 30 Points VS Heidelberg
Mernda 30 Points VS Camrea
Heidelberg 28 Points VS Lalor
Greensborough 24 Points VS Mill Park

I'm probably not going much out on a limb here, but I have the final 4 staying the same, but I think the positions will all shift. Lalor to finish top.

Whilst they have been great thus far (you can only beat who you've played), Banyule will in the next 5 games play 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. Based on the fact that their draw is looking extremely tough, we should see where they really are at against some decent opposition. I have them just scraping in to the 4, based on the fact they got the outright earlier in the year.

We arrived at the ground on Saturday morning to find that someone/people had spent a significant amount of time in completely ripping up the carpet on one end of the cricket pitch, and dumping it on the other end.

Therefore, with the game almost being a restart with the scores near on even, the DVCA made the decision to move the game to another venue. Just a shame that only one club wanted to make a game of it.

Will the game be on at Eltham this week?

I'm probably not going much out on a limb here, but I have the final 4 staying the same, but I think the positions will all shift. Lalor to finish top.

Whilst they have been great thus far (you can only beat who you've played), Banyule will in the next 5 games play 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. Based on the fact that their draw is looking extremely tough, we should see where they really are at against some decent opposition. I have them just scraping in to the 4, based on the fact they got the outright earlier in the year.
Agree here Tongs. Heidelberg really need to win this one. Boro already off the pace and they play LS, Banyule, Mernda consecutively after the break, can't see them making it. Banyule with the tough draw but fate is in their own hands from here. Lalor, Mernda and Eltham all locked in for mine.

Back