2nd Test: England vs West Indies at Headingley

Re: 2nd Test: England vs West Indies at Headingley

Unbelieveable.

Sidebottom got the night watchman Powell on the last ball for his second wicket of the innings, and West Indies finish the day at 22-2

That's SIX wickets for Sidebottom today! If he gets any more wickets, they might have to name him joint player of the match with KP.

i was following at the beeb. they were calling Sidebottom "Siders". i emailed them and told them his nickname should be SiBo, since Siders was too obvious, and they started using it in the last few overs. but they didn't give me any credit. don't really think it is a good nickname, just wanted to try to get on the commentary!

Sidebottom playing very well, very impressed with his return to the side. Perhaps when Hoggard comes back, Harmison could find himself on the outer.

Very, very disappointing effort from West Indies here. Poor effort with the ball and a dismal showing with the willow. After a promising start in the first test, they have thrown it all away here.

So far there has been no play on Day Three due to persistent drizzle. The covers have been moving on and off the field all day, much like Paris Hilton's panties.

West Indies are still 2/22, trailing by 402 runs. I have a feeling they'll be doing a few more rain dances over the next couple of days in order to stave off an English victory.

Still raining at Headingley. Also a fair amount of water on the covers as well.

Probably won't be any play today.

Day 3 has been officially cancelled.
Tune in tomorrow for more rain.
Ljp86;162070 said:
Very, very disappointing effort from West Indies here. Poor effort with the ball and a dismal showing with the willow. After a promising start in the first test, they have thrown it all away here.
No Lara, no Chanderpaul, no Sarwan, no chance.

The rain is obviously a big boost for the West Indies. If more time is lost tomorrow, then they'll actually have a chance of a draw, and they'll know it. Hopefully they'll go out there and play like it means something. If play starts on time tomorrow morning, I'd expect them to roll over and play dead. But if there's something for them to actually play for, I really hope they come alive.

cleazer;162084 said:
No Lara, no Chanderpaul, no Sarwan, no chance.

The rain is obviously a big boost for the West Indies. If more time is lost tomorrow, then they'll actually have a chance of a draw, and they'll know it. Hopefully they'll go out there and play like it means something. If play starts on time tomorrow morning, I'd expect them to roll over and play dead. But if there's something for them to actually play for, I really hope they come alive.

Where is the fight though? Where is the ambition to make something of this game?

The Windies have played very poorly in this match. After bowling badly in England's first innings you'd think they could do a similar sort of thing with the bat in what looks to be pretty good batting conditions. Instead, they've put in a very soft effort, something very unlike the past people that have played before them.

They've pretty much gone down without firing a shot so far in this game. No fight whatsoever. If they get the opportunity to bat on Days 4 or 5, I hope they are able to score enough runs to make England bat again and at least show something to the onlookers of this contest.

Only four overs of play were possible this morning. However, that was enough time for Liam Plunkett to dismiss Chris Gayle. Not long after, the heavens opened.

A short time ago, it was announced that play would start at 1:30pm local time but that hope seems to have vanished as it has started raining again.

West Indies are 3/31 with an early lunch being taken.

Play is back underway.

West Indies are 3/37, trailing by 387 runs.

West Indies in big trouble at 5/57.

Sidebottom has 4/24.

Raining again but the umpires have announced that play will recommence at 2:52pm local time.

Just a matter of time now. England may bowl West Indies out today provided there is no more rain.

A nice little 63 run partnership between Bravo and Morton.
But Morton finally succumbed to a bad shot.

It's tea, and West Indies are 137-6

Dwayne Bravo just got his half century, he's actually looked pretty good out there.

Ramdin fell, so Bravo got even more aggressive against Panesar than he previously was, and Monty finally got him

141-8, and the last man Collymore comes in

The weather won't interfere with the outcome of this match anymore. Should be over in a matter of minutes.

Ooops, it was over in a matter of seconds.
Harmison's delivery crashed into Taylor, it deflected of his body, then dropped down onto the stumps and dislogded a bail.

West Indies all out for 141

test over

Apparently West Indies worst test defeat ever!

All over. Collymore out for a first-baller as Harmison collects his third wicket.

West Indies lose by an innings and 283 runs in the end, their heaviest defeat ever.

Match of the Match is Kevin Pietersen.

Ganga admitted that they played with a real lack of enthusiasm and it showed. He said it was likely that Srawan would miss the next test, but he thought that Chanderpaul should be available.

The biggest problem for West Indies though may be Pietersen on his game. When he's on, he gives the other batsmen more freedom and confidence to play their game, knowing that he has their backs.

Sidebottom seems like a pretty cool dude. For some reason, whenever I see him jumping around and celebrating a wicket, he reminds me of a contestant on The Price Is Right. He looks like he just won a new dinette set.

There is just a lot of one-sided cricket being played at the moment isn't there? West Indies are looking horrible and don't look like taking a wicket at the moment.

Listening to BBC Radio during the rain-delay and they were talking about how often a team has gone through a series without being bowled out. Still got a bit of work for England to do. But apparently it has been done against Bangladesh a couple of times.

...Kevin Pietersen should come and play for the redbacks too. :rolleyes:

Sarwan is out for the rest of the series, including the ODI's.

Time to draft Lara out of retirement.

Back