A Year of Scottish Cricket: T20 Champions, Season Round-up and Rugby!!

Re: A Year of Scottish Cricket: Dodgy pitches, dropped catches and Aussie luck

Dropped catches are the bane of my life. I had to stop keeping because half the team couldn't catch, now I have a keeper who thinks he's a crocodile and snaps at the ball.

Re: A Year of Scottish Cricket: Dodgy pitches, dropped catches and Aussie luck

:laugh: yeah, it really gets you down as a bowler. The odd thing is that barely a catch goes down in fielding practice then we didn't hold one all day in the match :confused:

Re: A Year of Scottish Cricket: Bowled....or is it?

1st XI v East Kilbride 1st XI - 50 over match

We lost the toss and batted first, getting a good start but not really capitalising. We lost the last 6 wickets for 40 runs having been 100 for 4. The final score was 148 all out off 46 overs to which I contributed a 'big fat nothing.' I was no.11 and came in when they started bringing their opening bowlers back on. I was off strike but the striker didn't manage to get a single so I was on strike for the new over. I did pretty well blocking or driving for the first 5 balls but I couldn't quite get the ball away. Next ball he bowled a quicker, shorter ball that I was sure was outside off stump so I went back and across at it (had been forward at everything else) and missed it. I was about to walk up to the other end of the pitch when the fielders started cheering and when I turned round the off stump bail was missing. Now, call me a fairly bad batsman yeah, but I was sure the ball was missing off stump and I didn't hear it hit the stumps. I know from experience that you alway hear the ball hit the stumps when you're bowled by a reasonably quick bowler. Everyone else was walking off so I just went off too but afterwards the 2nd team captain who was watching said he thought their keeper had knocked the bail off with his pad. The team we were playing are known to be awful cheats so I wouldn't have put it past them to be honest, but it didn't make a difference in the end.

Our opening bowler took 7-54 including the first 6 wickets to fall so I wasn't called on to bowl early on. The skipper opted for spin to try and close the innings but the 9th wicket partnership kept on growing and I was brought on to bowl with them needing 20 runs with 2 wickets in hand. I only bowled one over in the end, conceding 2 runs, because they brought on the kiwi overseas and he took the last two wickets with his medium pace. Still, it was a good win for the team and I couldn't really expect to do a huge amount in the 1st XI in such a tight game.

I was going to have played on Sunday as well but I came down with a bad cold and spent the day shivering under a duvet trying to revise Biology. Next game away with the 2nd XI on saturday and from then on I should be able to train twice a week instead of once and play in the 20twenty's as my exams are over :D

Re: A Year of Scottish Cricket: Bowled....or is it?

2nd XI vs Motherwell 2nd XI - 50 over match

Sorry for the delay in posting this, I've had a fairly active social life since saturday:p

Having seen the forcast we were driving up the motorway to Motherwell aiming to win the toss and bowl first, hob 'em out and knock 'em off. As you can probably guess it didn't work out like that. We lost the toss and were put in, getting a good start to be 104-2 after 25 overs. A classic top, middle and lower order collapse saw me going in at 128-8 in the 39th over with the skipper at the other end on 30 odd having opened the innings. I looked to nudge the ball around and run the singles well to keep the skip on strike and I think I did a fairly good job of it, finally getting out in the 47th over for 7, having put on 25 with the captain. It was my second highest score for the 2nds so I was pretty chuffed with that and it also helped us bag a batting point for getting over 150. The skipper ended up with 56* having carried his bat in a total of 158.

It was raining a bit when we went out to bowl but we decided to stick with it and see how it went. I opened the bowling and bowled with a nice rhythm, consistently beating the bat and hitting one batsman in the ribs. In my 3rd over I had one of their openers lbw with one that cut back but the game was called off after the 11th over due to rain. We needed to have played 30 of their innings to have a game so it was a no result, which was pretty dissapointing. My figures were 5-0-14-1 and they finished on 28-1.

Overall not a bad game personally but it would've been nice to win. I went down to practice tonight but it was raining and it's forecast to rain tomorrow so the 20twenty is probably going to be called off. This weekend I have matches on both days to look forward to, including my first game for Kinmount CC in the Sunday league, which allows you to play for more than one team.

Re: A Year of Scottish Cricket: Rain, rain and more rain

This was only the second time I'd played there - we played their firsts last year in the division above. It's not the best outfield in the world and they only have two strips for pitches so they both get pretty messed up tbh. It's a nice setting but the pavillion is also miles away from the pitch. Your average Div 3/4 kinda place really.

Added 5 hour(s), 353 minute(s) and 49 second(s) later...

Midweek XI vs Lockerbie XI - 20Twenty match

The weather was looking pretty doubtful for much of the day but it turned into a beautiful evening for my first 20Twenty outing of the year. Having lost the toss we bowled first and I took the first over. I got off to a good start bowling a wicket maiden having their opening batsman bowled with my first ball actually on the stumps!! Next over I conceded 2 runs but had their no.3 inside edge a length ball onto his stumps. I didn't take another wicket but I was pleased with my line and length, especially the yorkers I was able to bang down every so often. My final figures were 4-2-5-2 which are easily my most economical in a 20twenty game.

My only other contribution to the match was taking a catch off the 1st XI wicketkeeper's bowling at the third or fourth attempt. The batsman skied it to wide mid-on and I ran round under it but wasn't balanced when it came to me, resulting in some comic juggling and probably the second flukiest catch I've ever taken - narrowly pipped by one I took in an U13s match at school that lodged in between my left elbow and my right thigh after it had completely missed my hands!!

I umpired for the other teams' full 20 overs (brilliant, thanks lads!) but we comfortably chased down their 80 odd for 9. Another match for the 2nd XI on Saturday and then my first match for a new team I'm turning out for in the Sunday League on Sunday.

Re: A Year of Scottish Cricket: 20twenty time!!

That's terrific figures, 5 runs off 24 balls in a T20 match!

Yeah I was pretty chuffed tbh!! Last year the 1st XI opening bowler played and got 5 for 6 off his 4 overs!!

2nd XI vs Glasgow Ansar - 50 over match

It was forcecast to rain so we didn't expect much but in the end we got the whole match played just before the rain came.

We lost the toss and bowled and for some reason I ended up bowling into the wind while the slow left arm spinner at the other was with the wind but it was a lively pitch and we had the batsmen in all sorts of trouble early on. Unfortunately there was so much movement that the bat never even got close to most deliveries, let alone close enough to take an edge. My first 3 overs were pretty good and I hit the batsmen a few times with a couple of lbw shouts too but I hurt my left hand taking a catch off the spinner and after that my rhythm went a bit, which wasn't helped by being warned for running on the pitch when bowling around the wicket at a left hander.

I was well chuffed with the catch though, it's easily the best I've ever taken. The spinner bowled a full toss at about waist height to the left handed batsman and he fairly laid into it. I was standing at square leg and instinctively I jumped up to my left and stuck my left hand out, only to find the ball had got stuck in it!!! Apparently the look on my face was priceless!

Anyways, I came back for a spell later on and cleaned up the tail to finish with 15-2-46-2. I hadn't bowled as well as I would've liked but I was fairly pleased with a reasonable days work. We expected to chase their total as we had a very strong batting side out but, to cut a long story short, we didn't. We collapsed after a reasonable opening stand with most guys getting out trying to hoick it over the top. I came in at number 10 and had scored 1 when the guy at the other end was out.

Kinmount CC vs Galloway Sunday XI - 35 over match

Next day it was forecast to be even worse but, in between showers, we got the game played. It was my first game for Kinmount so I was looking to leave a good impression. They hadn't a clue about my level of play so I was fairly surprised when they decided to open the bowling with me.

I bowled fairly tightly to start with but it was quite a tough pitch to bowl on because it was really slow and anything at all short of a good length just popped up to be hit. In my 2nd over I had one of their openers caught at point with a short wide one (you need a bit of fortune sometimes :p) and I had reached the start of my 5th over with figures of 4-1-6-1. Their other opener hit 1 run off the first ball before I had their no.3 caught at cover when he was early on his drive. Next ball was wider but the new batsman missed it and next ball I had him caught at point off one that swung away.I decided full was the way to go and bowled a straight one followed by a slow off cutter to the new batsman, which succeded in bowling him. Next over, the last of my allocation, I conceded 3 runs but bowled their other opening batsman with another off cutter that moved prodigiously to finish with 6-1-10-5. I was really pleased with my spell and especially being able to adapt to a new type of pitch but 3 of my wickets did come from catches when the batsmen played aggressive strokes too early in their innings.

We let them escape from 29-6 to reach 136 because they'd decided to bat their pro at 11 but it was a pretty good performance overall.

I went in to bat at no.5 and was quickly off the mark, finishing with 7 after being on the receiving end of a fairly dubious umpiring decision involving a big stride down the pitch and a ball that hit me, I am told, outside the line of leg stump. I was pretty pleased with 7 though, considering it equalled my highest score of the season, but I would've liked to go on.

Overall it was a good weekends cricket and I'm looking forward to next week.

Great job JB, a 5-for, a sharp catch and getting some runs! Sounds like a good weekend alright!!

Re: A Year of Scottish Cricket: T20 in the rain

We had a good training session in the sun on Tuesday where I bowled well and was fairly pleased with my batting, hitting a few good drives. The weather augered well for the next day but it didn't turn out like that...

Midweek XI vs CCC XI (local rivals' youth team) - Twenty20 match

We batted first in the rain, scoring 103 for 6 or 7 off our 20 overs with rain falling all through our innings. I had an umpiring stint, the only eventful part of which being calling a waist height no ball that the batsman contrived to hit onto his own stumps. I didn't get a bat because we decided to give the youngsters a go, which is fair enough really.

I opened the bowling and consistently beat the bat but failed to take a wicket despite several very close chances. My final figures ended up as 4-0-10-0 so I was fairly pleased with the economy again but I would've liked a wicket. The guy down the other end got a few as the batsmen tried to hit out so I guess the pressure I put on at least helped the team a bit. I was pleased with my fielding as well and ended up pretty wet after diving around a bit!! We eventually bowled them out for 48 as they collapsed with some pretty ineffective slogging so it was a good win against our local rivals. Next game on Saturday at home to a team we should be looking to try and beat and one on Sunday against a team from Carlisle in a friendly.

You can't beat fielding on a damp outfield - injury-wise it's just so much better cos you slide rather than stick and scrape all your skin off your limbs! What do you bowl?

Yeah it's great fun!!

I bowl seamers at around 70mph and sometimes, like in that match, I can get a bit of away swing.

Re: A Year of Scottish Cricket: Weekend double header (again)

Sorry for the delay but here goes...

2nd XI vs Vale of Leven - 50 over match

We went into the match looking for a win but it was just one of those days really. We lost the toss and were put in to bat, starting well to reach 70-0 before collapsing to 128-8 with the middle order trying to up the rate. I went in in the 49th over, had a wild heave at my first one and nudged a single off my second. 1* is better than a duck I suppose but we were pretty disappointed to have fallen 20 or 30 runs short of what we were aiming for.

I opened the bowling and my first spell of 8 overs only cost 12 runs which I was pretty pleased with. I would've liked to have picked up more than the one wicket in that spell as the team really needed early wickets. I bowled one of their openers with one that cut back to take that wicket and I had two close lbw shouts turned down against the other opener with a mis-hit shot falling just short of cover as well. My rhythm was really good in the first spell and I was working up some pretty good pace (for me) towards the end. I was taken off and the spinners introduced but they failed to make a breakthrough, though a right dolly was dropped at midwicket by one of our best fielders. Eventually I was brought back when they only needed 30 or 40 runs to win and we had to force a breakthrough. In my first over I had their no.3 out lbw then soon after had their no.4 dropped by the keeper. A farcical run out followed where their no.4 ran out the other opener who was on 50 something by then, bringing their best batsman to the crease. A couple of overs later I had him dropped off a tough chance at mid-off and then I was taken out of the attack because they wanted to try the spinners again. They passed the total 3 down and my final figures were 13-2-32-2. I was reasonably pleased with my bowling but I just couldn't force a breakthrough when the team needed it, so that was dissappointing.

Kinmount CC vs Galloway Sunday XI - 40 over match

The match I had meant to be playing in was called off in the morning so I rang up the captain of Kinmount to see if they were short. It turned out they were so soon after I was in the car on the way to Galloway's ground. My normal club's first team had lost to Galloway's 1sts the day before so I guess it was a chance to have a pop at them in 'revenge'!!

We batted first, after agreeing to a 12-a-side game, and I was batting at 10. I went in in the 36th over (ish) and combined with the not out batsman to take him past his 50. I got off the mark with a nice drive for 2 and hit two fours, one through square leg off a full toss and one a straight drive so straight it would've hit a 4th stump at the other end. Overall I was pretty chuffed with my batting to finish with my best score in adult cricket - 14. The team made 193-10 off our 40 overs which was a pretty good total considering the pitch had fairly uneven bounce.

After a delicious barbeque laid on by Galloway I opened the bowling and had their opener caught at midwicket in my first over. Next over I bowled the new batsman with one that cut back and kept a little low and the over after that was a wicket maiden as their no.5 played on. I made it two wicket maidens in a row as I bowled the new batsman in the next over but I couldn't make it two 5-fers in a row for my new team in my 5th and final over. My final figures were 5-2-8-4 as the other opening bowler and I reduced Galloway to 19-6 off 10 overs. After that it was just a case of limiting the runs scored by their pro and the game would be ours so when he was bowled by their amateur, lent to us to give everyone a game (he was the reason it was 12-a-side), the game was up. Overall it was pretty good game and I was pleased with it from a personal point of view despite dropping a tough chance at cover off their pro - I dived to me left and got a finger to it but it still carried for a one-bounce four!!

I've got a midweek game tonight if the weather holds so hopefully I'll be able to report back on that tomorrow or later tonight.

Bloody hell mate you get loads of wickets!:D every week its a 5-fer or a 4-fer:thumbup: Keep it up!

lol, yeah it looks like that on here doesn't it:p I got the 4-fer and 5-fer for the sunday side, the most I've got for the saturday lot is a 2-fer which isn't great considering I'm meant to be the spearhead.

EDIT: I pulled out of the T20 last night because of my sore shoulder. I'm trying to get it right for saturday but even that's not looking great atm.

Pretty well recently. I've taken 20 wickets so far, which is half my season target but I'm playing a fair few matches at this time of year so hopefully I'll get close.

The match this weekend was called off because the pitch was unplayable (aka they forgot to cover it!) but I guess it's not too bad because it was the top team in the league that we would've been playing.

How about you, found a club yet??

Midweek XI vs Kirkmahoe - T20 match

This was the semi-final of the plate cup in the knockout comp we have to run alongside the midweek league so there was some incentive to win, despite there not being any financial reward to winning it as some of the team pointed out. We bowled first and I opened the bowling with my first 2 overs only costing 2 runs and both of those coming from a nick through the vacant slip cordon. Next over their no.3 was in after the other opener had taken a wicket and he happened to be one of the 2nd XI from the weekend games. He swung at most balls and connected with one that went for 4 through the offside before nicking one to fine leg for 4 as well. The other batsman was running well and, despite a close lbw shout, they took 11 off the over, which is the most I've been hit for for a while. Next over I was determined to stop the same happening and I had our 2nd team player fishing outside off with the first 2 balls before tucking him up 3rd ball. He connected with the next ball, getting two runs, before I hit him on the thigh next ball. The over finished with a slower ball that missed off stump by centimetres and my final figures were 4-1-15-0. I was a bit dissapointed not to get a wicket, especially consdering I'd consistently beat the batsmen, but the economy wasn't too bad despite the 11 run over. I had two good throws that nearly resulted in run outs but overall it was a good workout for my shoulder.

I didn't get a bat as we chased down their 90 odd and I ended up umpiring for most of their innings. Next game is on Sunday and hopefully my shoulder will be back to full working order by then.

Back