Adam Gilchrist trigger movement

I

imported_Mark

Adam Gilchrist trigger movement

on his wikipedia page it has a video of him batting with the camera at a side angle and i noticed something i had never noticed before,

i always thought he stood still at the crease but he seems to take a step forward just before the ball is bowled and then adjust himself according to the ball.

is this a trigger movement of his?

and what benefits does he get from doing it since his a high calibre of a player i would imagine there are good benefits of this as it obviously works well for him

i am thinking of incorporating something similar into my batting to try and improve the speed i get into the front foot position as i am a heavily back foot player probably too much and when the ball is bowled full i get on the back foot and scoop it up in the air.

Re: Adam Gilchrist trigger movement

I think this is quite a common trigger movement, sometimes called the 'forward press'.

I'm not such a batsman myself but I experimented with trigger movements through the early part of last season and I found I batted better without one. It kept my head more still and helped me to wait for the ball. I also heard on the Sky commentary for a Pro40 match, when Darren Maddy was batting, that trigger movements aren't really necessary until international level, with waiting still for the ball to come into your 'bubble' the better tactic even at county level. I guess it's a personal thing.

Mark said:
i am thinking of incorporating something similar into my batting to try and improve the speed i get into the front foot position as i am a heavily back foot player probably too much and when the ball is bowled full i get on the back foot and scoop it up in the air.

a trigger movement isnt usually used to plant your front foot... this can be sometimes dangerous.... a trigger movement is used usually to get your feet moving and give you that split second more to judge the ball.......

if you use the trigger movement to plant your front foot... and a sharp bouncer comes, this could leave you in a world of trouble....

take a look at some other posts.... "struggling on the front foot" might be one 4 a look...

It would be hard to judge without seeing you bat but I agree. The lack of a trigger movement is rarely the root of a player with issues on the front foot.

yeh like aussie boy said if u move forward and then a bouncer is bowled then u could be in trouble
i think if ur facing fast bowling u cood stand out of ur crease but its a personal choice rlly

if you would like 2 incorporate a trigger movement into your batting... your best bet would be to make this movement a slight shuffle across (as ricky ponting does) rather then a small stride forward.... this shuffle across SHOULD get your feet moving a little and help you move onto the front foot is required...

as harrowdrive said "The lack of a trigger movement is rarely the root of a player with issues on the front foot." if you are really struggling on the front foot and your batting is suffering... maybe look into a session with a batting coach..

would this trigger movment ur trying is that u trying to get rid of ur nerves?

hmmm it may help.... if you r a really nervous batsmen u may fault this trigger movement e.g off balance, shuffle 2 fast etc...make sure 2 NEVER!!! bring a trigger movement in on game day... be sure to try it plenty of times in the nets b4 thinkin about bringing it into your game...

if im ever nervous i always rlly run hard between the wickets to get rid of nerves

yeah usually nerves dissapate once you r off the mark anyway... one thing i have found is... when you r in good touch and your eye is in... a slight trigger movement helps when playin in a more aggressive form....

true... but it tends 2 settle a little if you are of the mark... or if you r seeing the ball well.... doesnt mean u can play the ball without respect

i wouldn't say I'm nervous, I'm a bit anxious but i think that applies to most when your new at the crease, it certainly doesn't effect my feet.

the side step trigger movement is a big no no, everytime i do it i can get on the front foot fine but i find it impossible to get on the back foot and sometimes trip over my feet.

i think I'll just have a look at the front foot thread mentioned earlier

thanks

yeah... also mark have u thought that u r a strong back foot player because u have "heavy" feet...... try keeping the weight more on the balls of your feet.... things like skipping will aid this......

That's a bit of a leap of faith but skipping is excellent for many reasons. So are agility ladder drills.

Back