AFL push for Nth Melbourne to move to the Gold Coast?

Kram81

AFL push for Nth Melbourne to move to the Gold Coast?

Thoughts?

I'm really keen to see the comp grow for the long term future of Aussie rules footy, but can't help feeling sorry for the Roos being the odd ones left out.

IMO this really needs to happen though, despite the short term pain.

Re: AFL push for Nth Melbourne to move to the Gold Coast?

I think it is necessary for the Kangaroos to go to the Gold Coast to ensure their survival. If they don't move now they probably won't be around in 5 years time.

Jolldo87;188483 said:
I think it is necessary for the Kangaroos to go to the Gold Coast to ensure their survival. If they don't move now they probably won't be around in 5 years time.

I don't think that it is necessary for the roos to go up to the gold coast. They need to up the cost of their membership so that they can profit from it more.
Membership is something that the club and all clubs survive on.
Their basic Country membership is currently $60. If they put the price up to $100 they would profit $40 which would help the club's country members and the club in general.

pidgeon fan;188525 said:
I don't think that it is necessary for the roos to go up to the gold coast. They need to up the cost of their membership so that they can profit from it more.
Membership is something that the club and all clubs survive on.
Their basic Country membership is currently $60. If they put the price up to $100 they would profit $40 which would help the club's country members and the club in general.

clubs get most of their profits from sponsorship and corporates not memberships. An upping of membership prices would ease the pressure but it wouldn't totally solve their problem.

i don't think the AFL can make a 17th side anyway and if lots of other supporters get behind them which i think will happen the Kangaroos may be able to make it.

What concerns me the most is that they have been relatively successful on the field recently, yet their membership and crowd figures have still been disgraceful.

Time to go, it's the AFL now, not the VFL.

I don't think that moving the Roos to the Gold Coast is the right option. Would the Gold Coast be even feasible for an AFL team to call that area home? Queensland is still NRL dominated so I'm guessing that NRL would still have priority there in terms of supporters and news coverage.

The AFL could sink all the money it wants into the move but it could still fail despite having so much cash behind it.

I think it would be better to assess the situation after the end of next season. Perhaps everyone would have a better idea of what's happening with Kangaroos then. If they have the same amount of success as this year but still have poor crowds/membership figures then a move should be looked at.

It is up to the Roos supporters to come out in force and get behind their club. So many of them are against it but it is up to them to get behind their side if they don't want to head north.

Jolldo87;188578 said:
clubs get most of their profits from sponsorship and corporates not memberships. An upping of membership prices would ease the pressure but it wouldn't totally solve their problem.

i don't think the AFL can make a 17th side anyway and if lots of other supporters get behind them which i think will happen the Kangaroos may be able to make it.
But it would be a start. It mightn't solve the problem but at least they can make a big dent into their massive debt that they have.

Ljp86;188920 said:
I don't think that moving the Roos to the Gold Coast is the right option. Would the Gold Coast be even feasible for an AFL team to call that area home? Queensland is still NRL dominated so I'm guessing that NRL would still have priority there in terms of supporters and news coverage.

True but the area has a large population and one of the fastest growing in Australia.

It's a long term project that will be expensive, but IMO it's better than constantly propping up the club in Melbourne where it will never be a financial success. Look at Sydney and Brisbane, it took a long time but they got there in the end and the rewards are now being reaped.

Kram81;191031 said:
True but the area has a large population and one of the fastest growing in Australia.

That doesn't mean it is going to be a success. Look at Peel Thunder in the WAFL, Mandurah has one of the fastest growing populations in WA and Peel have been a joke for the last ten years.

Kram81 said:
It's a long term project that will be expensive, but IMO it's better than constantly propping up the club in Melbourne where it will never be a financial success. Look at Sydney and Brisbane, it took a long time but they got there in the end and the rewards are now being reaped.

While they have been relatively successful, crowds and general interest in the Lions have been down for the last three seasons because the side has struggled.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Sydney begins their slide down the ladder (which looks to be occurring already). Will the Swans supporters still be as loyal even though their team isn't making finals anymore?

I think this Gold Coast talk is a knee-jerk reaction. If the Kangaroos aren't getting the support they require in 2008 then perhaps it should be looked at.

The roos need to get a massive amount of sponsors on board, which I think they have got some really good ones with a lot of cash to help them out. @|
Once they are on their own two feet again they really need to look at fully upgrading Arden St. Which I think they are in the process of doing.

I would love to see the roos stay in melbourne. Why would I want to see the roos stay in melbourne? Because they are more successful in Melbourne rather than starting from scratch up at the gold coast. The gold coast record isn't that good. If they had of won all of their games up there instead of just the 2 games they probably would have decided to relocate.

mate honestly im a north melbourne member and if we havnt got the supporters in MELBOURNE we arent going to get the supporters in the Gold Coast, move will not work, it will kill the shinboner spirit

breeno;193363 said:
mate honestly im a north melbourne member and if we havnt got the supporters in MELBOURNE we arent going to get the supporters in the Gold Coast, move will not work, it will kill the shinboner spirit
Hey mate, welcome to the forum. I reckon if you got all your friends and family who are roos fans to sign up as members then they would be doing their bit to help the club.

Also that crappy article in the age, is just that. It is utter crap that the AFL would do such a thing by pulling the 4 games a year up at the Gold Coast. Sorry to use a swearword but it is utter bull********.

The AFL should give them this year to see how they go. But if they cannot guarantee LONG TERM survival, not short term, push must come to shove. It's hard for Kangaroos supporters but if North go north, the AFL has guaranteed long term success for them.

Go the mighty Blues!;)

Well, they aren't going. The AFL really wants a team there though, and they will probably have a 17th side up there by 2010

Good to hear. I didn't want the roos to go as I have got a lot of friends who support the kangaroos. I didn't want to see them looking sad all because of their team relocating to the GC.

It's a game of musical chairs and one day some one will miss out when the music stops. Norths need to get their act together quickly and try to avoid it being them.

^The Dees are a shambles but still hold one massive card being tied in with the MCC

Kram81;197548 said:
^The Dees are a shambles but still hold one massive card being tied in with the MCC
True but that can always stop. They get heaps of support up in Brisbane. They play one game a year up at the Gabba and it works for them.

It's just as well we follow AFL clubs and not NRL clubs because if the Kangaroos were in the NRL they'd be kicked out. From someone who takes interest in both codes but is a true blue AFL supporter, it just seems to me in the past that the NRL has just kicked out clubs willy-nilly (North Sydney, South Sydney, though they've been re-admitted, Balmain to name a few). Sorry to say North Melbourne fans, but from what I've seen so far the Gold Coast option was a better option (however it's easy for me to say I'm a Carlton supporter). I only say this because I don't see any evidence that James Brayshaw and co can produce LONG TERM survival in Melbourne. Let's face it, look at how many people have said 10 clubs won't survive in Melbourne in the long term. As for some people saying that Melbourne could be in trouble, well yeah as Kram says they've been with the MCC for what, well over 100 years now but at the same time, Melbourne themselves are in a shambles. But it's just as well we follow AFL clubs because it doesn't seem like our clubs can get kicked out just like that. Lastly, we've been bringing up the Kangas and Melbourne as the next team to go, any other candidates?

Back